Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You must have got our order... we're running out and Ricoh haven't decided to send us any more yet.
    Begun the Toner Wars have.

2. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

That was me yesterday with a client's employee

"You might want to check in with XX. He charges our bank account money every month, but I have no idea what for - see attached. If this isn't something we use, or need, I think it should be stopped. But I don't know what the agreement is, or for. XX's email - email@email.com"

Them: I wonder if he’s billing us for when I have made enquiries with him

"I am not aware of what the arrangement is, or if it is simply an old one that has expired and we're still being charged for. I can chase him up, but if it is something in place, you'd probably be the best person to state if we still need it or not."

Them: I really have no idea. Ive asked if he can change somethings on the terrible old site but he hasn’t and nothings been done. I don’t think anything is in place. Unless its some kind of hosting fee

"OMG JUST FUCKING CONTACT THEM I DON"T KNOW EITHER WHICH IS WHY I FUCKING TOLD YOU TO DO IT, YOU"RE THE MANAGER HERE NOT ME SO IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING YOU WANT TO KEEP PAYING FOR.....*delete delete delete* *Leaves reply for a few days where I can go "So, how did you do. Did XX get back to you as to what it is about?"

3. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Is it just me, or has it become that the more time you spend in this thread, the more your job sounds like it's becoming IT?

4. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I'm currently in a heated sms conversation (from my end only, as they're too dumb to get riled up) with another client's employee about the fact they haven't currently got a registered business name attached to their company - and they really should. I showed them fewer than 15 minutes ago in person that there was no response when searching their business name under registered business names. "What? Why wasn't this found earlier?"
    They've just sent me a screen shot of the company name going "Yup all good, it's coming up when searching. All sorted". *bangs head on desk*

Again - not even remotely in my business description.

5. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

For fuck's sake - you haven't gone and demonstrated competence in front of someone, have you?

You're doomed.

millsy, GumbyNoTalent, BAK and 2 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I was reading a thing a while back about the psychological implications of people being attracted to certain types of jobs. Turns out various IT style jobs and finance jobs have a lot in common, and appeal to similar personality types - folks who like non-obvious problems that can be solved with complex but formalised rules in systematic ways.

The other common factor with both of those careers, is that generally all the problems are caused by fuckwits with little clue who didn't pay money to have a professional do it right in the first place, and now get in your way as you try to unravel the unholy mess.

Silver lining - there's at least one other profession that feels our collective pain.

freaky_beeky and kbekus like this.
  7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

At what point do you just setup a shell company, register the domain, and then sell it to them at an inflated cost?

8. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I mentioned this as a possibility and was told I need to not care any more (by my business partner) :( (They only have the .com and no com.au even though they are an Australian business - and yes.. WE all know why!)

I've been back and forward with them and they don't seem to want to grasp the concept. I've done my bit

So when it does happens, that "I told you" will be ready

9. wazza

wazza Member

Had similar with a company that leased Ricoh printers - kept charging for freight that was meant to be free on toners, and because they couldn't get their auto toner ordering functional we'd occasionally just get a courier van turn up stacked to the brim with toners. Terminated that contract with extreme prejudice and chucked the remaining toners on ebay - we had an extra nice xmas party that year!

Check when people are replacing the toner - most auto-ordering will only trigger <10% but the warnings of low toner show at <25% - we had to use the good old clue-by-four to remind people not to change toner until it actually stopped printing, else they wouldn't get replenished.

C-C-C-Combo reply.

I've been with many different companies for printers and used many different devices - in all my time, I've dealt with *one* who are any good - that is F-X (through one of their business centres if it makes a difference, I'm sure a lot of the shit that makes my life easy is account manager driven). Some of the things I asked many to do were refused by all but FX (eg putting in the contract that we can terminate without fees if they can't get their auto toner ordering or auto count reporting to work, contracted agreement that we may put the printers in a warehouse with no extra protection (even near metal cut off saws/milling centres etc) and they would still 100% cover all repairs/warranty work with no "harsh environment" clauses etc). They're not the cheapest, but I'd not go with another vendor these days for love nor money - I basically no longer need to concern myself with anything printer related, they sort it all out - we've had no issues with any auto-replenishment, counters, billing, installs, repairs or anything.
    If anyone wants the contact details just PM me - they are in Syd but deal with all states (we have offices in 4 states all managed by them).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

They're also the cause of so much of that pain.
    Konica printer: Warning toner is getting low.

User: takes out toner, shakes it puts it back.

Konica printer: oh, new toner. Dont need to order another one.

11. BAK

BAK Member

After they've taken the toner out and shaken it all about, do they have to do the hokey pokey and turn around? That, as I understand it, is what it's all about.

2SHY likes this.
  12. power

power Member

Ricoh's ordering doesn't work that way anymore.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Dirty marks on shredded trees.

14. power

power Member

people seem to like it!

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

I warn you: do not ask me about my opinion of "people".

cvidler likes this.
  16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Solent Green is people you know, but damned tasty!

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

10k payrise.. booyah :leet:

freaky_beeky, Rass, j3ll0 and 2 others like this.
  18. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I'm sure if I had a 4 monitor set up like some of the other people in my industry I wouldn't need them.... but it makes working with just one screen so much easier

I am a liker.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Not even kidding, if 10" e-ink displays shipped with a standard HDMI/DisplayPort connectors and could be hooked up to corporate desktops, printing would decrease exponentially.

I begrudgingly accept that people struggle to read from backlit screens. But if "paperless" was a true goal, it would be solved by now with the tech we already have.

Rass likes this.
  20. syx

syx Member

I think you mean "if paperless was a true goal above every other consideration inc cost !" we already would have.