1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

But while the sun is shining, Solar is Generating, and you can use Air conditioning to lower that temperature to something comfortable for sleeping.

2. shredder

shredder Member

What the hell are you freaks bickering about, at 11:45am on this fine Tuesday morning. Lunchtime in 15 minutes, don't you know!

3. millsy

millsy Member

This year around I've just started working an hour earlier and leaving an hour earlier, shit's cash, get home with time for a run, or sun is up, or whatever

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

And its nice to work in a place like that.

Can you get my Kids School to start/finish an hour earlier as well.
    And Sporting events
    And the opening hours of everyone else that still does 9-5.

5. shredder

shredder Member

Educate your own spawn. To play sports for your entertainment. Twobirdsonecup.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sun ain't shining at 9PM my friend. But it's still hot from when the sun was shining 2 hours earlier.

This whole "let's change the clocks for arbitrary reasons then put all this extra effort in to compensate for arbitrary decisions" reasoning is bananas. Coming from Mr "don't change unless there's good reason", your arguments for changing clocks twice a year seem way out of character.

With that said, I totally get it for you lot way down in the Antarctic circle. That's cool (literally and figuratively). But for us up here in the tropics, why on earth do we need to conform to your requirements that don't suit us? I mean, if this was a business I.T. thing and one department's rules didn't fit another's, you'd be the first to baulk at the unnecessary change.

Much like your penis, you're welcome to it, but we don't want it.

Hive and bcann like this.
  7. millsy

millsy Member

Gotta live the DINK live bro.

Nah it's annoying how entrenched we are in a lot of things like that, I can't wait for the shackles to be removed off workplaces. In saying that I know a few people who work 6 hours during the day and 2 after kids are in bed so they can maximise time with their kids.

Also it's not friday enough for DST arguments yet.

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Like I said last time its $10 to show and more if you want to touch.

Problem is shit middle management that must see bums on seats so they can gloat over the masses they control.

PS - also when I was middle management, shit personnel who take liberties and never produce wreck it for the rest, and then blame shit management as to why they don't do their job.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    mooboyj, millsy and elvis like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Most of that comes from employers struggling with the idea of remote workers, and that in turn has deeper roots to things like trust in staff, quality of staff, wages, etc.

Generally speaking, I've found a direct correlation with how much I enjoy a work culture and how easy going the bosses are when it comes to clock-watching. The more they're counting the exact minute you come and go, the more it shows me they're worrying about the wrong things.

I remember my dad eagerly giving staff laptops in the early 00s and telling them to work from home. He was considered a lunatic by his senior management at the time. Years later it was revealed that productivity in his department sky rocketed as people did work from the comfort of home, and typically into the night or on weekends. Meanwhile the 9-5 folks chained to their desk couldn't wait to get away from the office, and without equipment to work outside of that environment, obviously didn't.

Pffft all I have to do is create a fake account as a female on any social media, and I've got more dick pics than I can handle.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So you like handling dick pics, that's my take away.

11. BAK

BAK Member

This has always been enough for me:
    [​IMG]

Daemon, Unframed, 2SHY and 1 other person like this.
  12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I must be strange, but I hate working from home. Nothing worse than getting to the end of a day and walking from one side of my lounge room to the other and thinking, well, what now. Last time I did it I ended up going for a drive for 4hrs just to gtf out of the house. Nope, I'd rather go into the office, work, come home. I need that context change at the end of the day. I'm set up well enough that I can work off pretty much any internet connected device (with varying degrees of difficulty and success) so if I need or feel like getting something done at home I can, I just don't want to spend ~8hrs doing it.

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm similar.

To work successfully from home you really need a dedicated room in which to do so, so it's obviously a different place.

Plus there's the lack of social interaction.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

CptVipeR and elvis like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah I get that. The work/life separation can be tough. I find work from home days the hardest part is knowing when to shut it down and go back to home life again.

But, the upsides are there in droves. No cringey co-workers to deal with, no deli queue of people at your desk who can only handle face to face support and can't use email/IM, no need to dress a particular way (or at all), ability to have your own background noise going (I stream Twitch all day as I work), ability to work in chunks around kids/wife, housework, extended lunch breaks, etc. And the naps, oh my god the naps.

I've not done it long term, and wonder what that would be like. The Oatmeal's author documents his... er... "challenges":
    https://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

[edit] Beaten by the above post!

I intensely dislike routine, so *NOT* having a dedicated space is wonderful for me. Happy to work from the lounge one day, the back deck another, the local cafe another. Variety is the spice of life.

15. shredder

shredder Member

Your company's gotta be geared up for it, in terms of the culture, the attitudes, the workflows. You can't do it in isolation so to speak, that's doomed, I can attest.

I'll tell you one thing. Working from home exposes the truth about whether you like your work or not. Unencumbered.

And look for some people, that's a truth easier not learned.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

the prime reason I don't work form home, is I'm on site with customers at least 4 days a week - so working remote is no impediment to my work. the 5th day it's nice to touch base with the people in the office.

Home is home, work can fuck right off from home (even though as I've said I mostly enjoy work, I don't want to be around it 24x7).

17. bcann

bcann Member

Its almost always a combination of culture (IE manglement almost always) and attitude (Again almost always manglement). Where i work is a very people focused business, with pisspoor IT skills, and if they can't talk to you (because why use the IM we pay for) then they are stuck.

18. Unframed

Unframed Member

I hate WFH too but for wildly different reasons. I don't like using my personal PC for work. I don't like having to fuck around with VPNs and archaic softphone software to do my job.

I don't need social interaction or a work atmosphere, I just want my job to be as streamlined as possible and that's easiest in the office.

I do like being able to work in my underpants though.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

That's not a WFH issue though. That's just not having the tools you need. I've worked on-premises for some places where I could have been more productive at home on personal gear because the systems provided were so terrible.

Any place I've been that implemented WFH well had simple options to keep people connected on their own gear (open source VPNs that didn't require stupid things to work), or provided competent gear for them.

Also, for all the anti-cloud sentiment in the world right now, cloud is absolutely the quickest way to make WFH a million times easier.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Soooo you go commando to the office everyday?