Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We really are completely opposite lol. Almost all the gear I use is my own rather than work supplied. Work only provides a laptop/dock setup, and supplies 12" laptops. I work from remote offices etc, so 12" laptop on the road doesn't cut it. Request for 15" laptop denied. Ebay never knocks me back though... In the office, laptop + dock was a hindrance and years back I had all these folding pcs sitting around unused.. so one of those became my work pc. I've kept it up to date since then simply because I like the convenience of having a machine that does everything I need it to without needing to worry that my company is allergic to spending money on useful things. I fully understand people being heavily against the idea of spending their own money on stuff for work, but personally I don't mind spending that money when it makes at least 40hrs of each and every week better for me.

2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Because we work for megacorp X who's SOE is a flaming pile of shit and no local admin rights even for engineers/consultants, the only way to get work done (if you're in any way at all on the tools) is to run non-SOE and cobble together nudge-nudge-wink-wink ways of getting back into the ecosystem. I can't see how its anything other than a deliberate unspoken policy because they could easily lock down that vector and they haven't, and at the same time even non-techies run around with non-SOE surfaces and macbooks so basically IF they shut down the unofficial workarounds a huge part of the company would simply be locked out. Even their wired dot1x is (deliberately?) weak.
    Its better now its Win10 and not an accumulation of 10 years of Win7 cruft builds but the lack of the ability to install anything (and no easy way to do this temporarily - yes there's a way, you could be waiting hours or days, who knows depends on what outsourced hamster is running the relevant wheel) basically means its a non-starter for anyone doing technical work. The sooner we go to a proper zero-trust IDGAF-about-the-client-build posture the better, O365 and web-facing apps (with 2FA) basically lets you get 90% of the way there for many use-cases IMO
    Most of us literally run our SOE hardware with non-SOE builds, those who aren't married/paying off mortgages run around with macbooks or the like lol. The HW is now actually decent, 8th gen procs, SSDs, 16Gb and even WWAN

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  3. Gunna

Gunna Member

[​IMG]

Perko, elvis and 2SHY like this.
  4. millsy

millsy Member

I have no words....

5. shredder

shredder Member

Spoonerism detected.

I have woe nerds.

Fred Nurk likes this.
  6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

OK Spooner

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last 4 months of my life.

Well, 50% that. The other 50% arguing with people that they really can change if they really want to, and their problems aren't technology at all but all in their desire to avoid ever talking other departments.

8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I once worked for govt department X that ran all our (engineers) desktops thin apps off citrix. Yes desktops, yes thinapps. They made the team swap around 2 field laptops for when you need to go out there. I won't even get into how slow it was (wow Win7 profiles off spinning rust SAN, who would've thunk) and how it took >15 minutes to logon even with dark fibre connectivity (yeah it was the SAN no doubt)
    It was fun when there was a massive DC outage, oops can't get onto citrix oops can't work.

TBH my SOE griping is mostly from the POV of my dept (which mind you started as an acquisition so we subconsciously don't see ourselves as 'natives'), I'm not sure how the rest of the megacorp tolerates it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a large number of non-SOE users doing the same workarounds. The rest can just keep on being drones (computer says no)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm eternally stunned at how much human and financial effort goes in to intentionally preventing other people from working.

bcann likes this.
  10. BAK

BAK Member

It's not really intentional, because that would suggest the people making the decisions understand anything about anything.

What I find stunning is just how wilfully ignorant people are about what goes on in their business.

"Whats that, bespectacled nerd? Insecurities? Everybody seems to be working just fine. Go away now, I'm late for my golf game."
    Inevitably followed at some point by:
    "What do you mean we were hacked? Why didn't anybody fix these insecurities? You're fired, bespectacled nerd! I'm off to play golf with some security vendors who can sell me something to fix the problems you couldn't!"

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

That's top-down from management level. But even at "regular employee" level I've witnessed constant, and highly aware efforts to prevent things across many organisations and businesses.

Speaking out and suggesting that, as a team, we actually work to *enable* rather than *prevent* often catches people completely unawares, as if they've never considered the concept in their careers.

12. Unframed

Unframed Member

My problem is that my job is made much easier by a multi-monitor setups because of all the crap I do at once. I don't have a seperate space or spare monitors to achieve that without using my PC. To then use my PC I have to have outlook, teams, zoom, gotoassist, cisco phone etc etc all installed. I don't like that. Outlook and teams can be run from a browser but they perform like shit so it then comes back to efficiency.

When I was a sysadmin at my last role - WFH was way better but whenever there's a physical hardware issue I can't handle that at home.

Don't tempt me.

Haha yep - polar opposites.

13. millsy

millsy Member

Honestly that your workplace would let you install fat clients and access corporate data from a home pc is horrifying.

SaaS is one thing but dang.

14. shredder

shredder Member

If the boss is satisfied with his current brand of caviar, then efficiency is optional.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

As above, I'm not just talking about PHBs here. Even regular low level numpties seem to want to slow everyone else down too. It's both fascinating and depressing.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I sat in a meeting about dept restructuring the other day that mentioned that the changes being made would enable depts to work together as a team rather than as competitors, and it genuinely never occurred to me that different depts in the same company would view each other as competitors. I mean, I've seen it in action, but largely always attributed it to arse covering, or at the very least an attempt not to be seen as 'not useful' in a given situation. Like someone will be really helpful, right up until you need something that's outside their direct field of responsibility. At that point they become deaf dumb and blind, they can't help you and they can't point you in the right direction, because doing so would mean that person is now more useful than they are.

Coming from a much smaller team with a much more diverse skill set, it's just been baffling.

elvis likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

It really demonstrates peoples' insecurities. The fear that some other department will "show up" yours, and that you'll appear lessor for it.

Tall poppy syndrome is cancer.

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

It all comes down to the bean counters.

Things have budget attached - someone else does the thing, someone else gets the budget.

fifedoms and Siloing ftw.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

At a macro level, sure. At an individual level, people are individually shitty and fearful long before counting their beans.

20. BAK

BAK Member

Like elvis says, it's not just the upper levels. My workplace is ruled by informational power, a lot of entrenched peons with carefully curated fiefdoms of key information. Nobody shares anything, so they they can't be cut out of the loop. It's a horrible environment to work in.