Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. shredder

shredder Member

Meh, it's all the same shit we had at school, just writ large.

("writ large" being one of those terms you can't help feeling like a twat when you use, even thought it's the perfect term for the context)

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Eons ago (when I started this thread, in fact) I worked with one particular individual like that. He assumed his hoarding of information would make him unsackable.

Then he got sacked. Why? For being an information hoarding turd.

Luckily that was private sector, and sacking people for those sorts of things is less of a challenge than it is in other environments.

Don't feel like a twat. Embrace interesting language. I, oddly, use "defenestration" regularly, but OCAU reminded me that it's not an every day word. Now they all know it, and we're all better for it.

wazza and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  3. BAK

BAK Member

The reverse happens here. Everybody else (all the new hires who could assist in moving the business forward) leaves due to the sheer inertia of half a workplace of rusted on 15year+ employees.

Its punworthy, too.

You like throwing out windows (computers), and you like throwing people out of windows.

wazza, elvis and 2SHY like this.
  4. 2SHY

2SHY Member

He does Excel at his Word usage though. Accessing all those words improves his Outlook.

dacow, cvidler, bcann and 2 others like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

BAK likes this.
  6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Uggh... explaining maths to mouth breathers because they need to know. :rolleyes:

ME: its your product how should the data be interpreted, please explain?
    THEM: *BLINK**BLINK* <silence>
    ME: I'm currently displaying a sliding window average of the value and displaying the differential change for that period of time.
    THEM: *BLINK**BLINK* <silence>
    ME: however, because you have restricted realestate to display the graph we have nominal min max differentials, so values will flatline after these.

E.G. we display 300 samples in a sliding window, keep a record of the max and min values received, then scale the results to fix the graph canvas, but we keep a statistical average for the 300 readings and set a min / max values that represent normal, so if a reading is constantly above or below the norms we draw a flatline. However as the sensor lives longer we statistically adjust the min / max values based on learned events after the fact on a bigger modeling dataset and feed back values.

Now explaing this to people who eat crayons does my head in, its a pretty graph on a webpage that draws a squiggly line that changes when you interact with the sensors!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. BAK

BAK Member

Only on the Surface.

2SHY and elvis like this.
  9. BAK

BAK Member

Whole post reads like an entry from r/iamverysmart.

"We display the average for the last few entries. Also if its really different from normal, we show that too.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yup, that's pretty much the extreme opposite of the pendulum swing. Going from one end of people who never want change due to fear, to the other end of people who want to change everything all the time for no good reason (perhaps because they're bored, and they should tinker on their own time).

I mentioned to a PM in one of my current contracts that, despite being one person with one real philosophical standpoint in professional IT, I'm simultaneously seen as the one holding back progress due to security concerns for my #yolo clients, and the one who is pushing too hard for change and scaring the locals in my ultra conservative clients.

Much like my political standpoints, the truth is I'm quite central, but perpetually seen as a member of the "opposite team" (never forget: false dichotomies are the only reality in 2019) depending on the position of the viewer.

11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

You should talk to manglement more often, can you please manglement whisper how one would explain what a FFT is?

12. BAK

BAK Member

We need to defenestrate the false dichotomies.
    Not for free.

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

All these really bad Office puns makes me want to stick a fork in a PowerPoint.

14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

(whisper's in boss's ear) "He's not very agile"

Unframed, Hive and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  15. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

Its going back a few years now, but I worked for an engineering consultancy with a halfbaked SOE which locked everything down and generally made doing most things a pain in the arse. It resulted in people not rebooting their machines (they'd make changes but they wouldn't persist as the SOE would reinitialise, so they'd never turn it off and so on), people implementing work arounds and general pain in getting anything done. They (through their designated IT consultant who was a friend of a director) spent a fortune upgrading local servers and equipment to support their SOE. Their timesheet app also ran on RDP and may as well have used semaphore flags to transmit the data.

They got bought out by a larger consultant who, during the migration, asked why they spent so much on their regional server capability. New company ran Red Hat backend but Windows desktpop, and used servers at a quarter of the cost of the just purchased units. They also brought in a much more effective SOE that was both workable and maintainable by IT. There were a lot of angry voices and a few resignations during the migration, but you reminded me of some of the lesser examples of SOE and enterprise.

elvis likes this.
  16. Hive

Hive Member

Person 1: "Oh gotta change my clock again"

Person 2: "Why do you do that?"

Person 1: "Oh we always do that, every year"

Person 2: "But why?"

Person 1: "???????"

Person 2: "Are you going to answer my question?"

Person 1: "Everyone else does it"

Dear states/territories that follow DST: You are all wrong.

Perko, Scarpetta and elvis like this.
  17. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

"DST is good"
    -This Victorian

18. shredder

shredder Member

^Living in Victorian times.

Hive likes this.
  19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

LOL Eastern coast dwellers, if you want the sun to come up later in the day, move west young man.

Hive likes this.
  20. Hive

Hive Member

Time is a made up thing anyway.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019