Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

2SHY and millsy like this.
  3. Unframed

Unframed Member

Haha west, anything west of penrith is dead to me.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Slowly learning that you haven't seen a hostile working relationship between departments until two HR depts need to liaise to transfer employee details across. Holy shit. The result here is us having to provide more details now then when I was originally onboarded.

5. power

power Member

dst is like people getting permission from mum and dad to wake up early and start their day. if you want to get up early no one is stopping you. do it all year, i sure as shit do. i'm on permanent 30mins dst.

Hive likes this.
  6. Hive

Hive Member

But what about all the "reasonable folk" down south that get offended that QLD doesn't have DST? They are upset that they, for reasons unknown to science, change their clocks every year and the fact that they have to do another calculation to work out the time in a more civilized part of the country (QLD / NT / WA) heavily frustrates them. It's like we must all suffer equally? I cannot stand changing the clock on my microwave, it's an absolute pain the the ass.

Here's an idea: stop worrying about your clocks and do some actual work.

/non BE&C rant

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. power

power Member

i support their clock change, i just don't understand why they don't support qld not changing.

Hive likes this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

We don't like seeing QLD fall behind every year.

#OneCoastOneTime!

9. power

power Member

we're NE you're SE - not that hard to understand.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

I see your sarcasm detector is broken.

I don't care what QLD does. Try to avoid the place myself; hot, humid, my folks live there.

Unframed, Perko and Hive like this.
  11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

ok boomer

bcann and Hive like this.
  12. Hive

Hive Member

Not a boomer, just a frustrated millennial.

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Person 1: We change our clocks, because its the easiest way to get EVERYTHING happening an hour later. The alternative, is to ask/force organisations to change their schedules by an hour. By shifting forward an hour peak hour no longer takes place at dusk, leading to less accidents. People are more likely to go out, leading to increased tourism.

Parts of QLD don't have the geographical imperative to shift that the southern states do, but to be team players. should really adopt DST to maintain parity with the other eastern state cities. That being said. The recent election has shown that QLD DGAF about Anything except that chance to dig rocks and lock up brown people, as evidenced by the Members of Parliament they voted, so it really doesn't surprise me that they still think their curtains will fade more.

Hive likes this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

it's nothing to do with "being a team player" for North Queensland. I was there for the sole year they trialled DST, and it comprehensively sucked. it very likely sucked in the Southeeast too, with the net suckage only offset by the alignment of business hours with the rest of the East coast.

an attitude of sneering intellectualism denigrating someone else's perfectly valid concerns speaks far more of the person with the attitude than of the concerned party.

and yes, Queensland very much voted for politicians that represented their needs and strengths, like mining. that's where their wealth comes from.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Such a tired phrase. I mean, by all means have a rant, it's what the thread is for. But you're going to need some new material soon.

Sadly the true diversity is not represented by a voting outcome that gives 51% a majority hold. It is just one of the major failings of this country's political setup.

If you analyse the last election electorate by electorate, it shows a starkly different outcome to the trivialised picture you're painting.

As one political commentator put it, it showed the wealthy inner suburbanites voting for the rights of the lower socio-economic groups, and the outer suburban "battlers" voting to line the pockets of their land lords. Social media has a lot to answer for these days, as the traditional values of left and right are being grossly disfigured into whatever mess we have today.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Gunna and bcann like this.
  16. BAK

BAK Member

17. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

It's probably something to do with the "battlers" being told that they can have it all and be rich too and them actually believing it.

elvis likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Very much so. And very concerning. The US is a prime example of what happens when a whole nation think they're all just "temporarily embarrassed millionaires", and all buy in to ideas that erode social safety nets.

19. caspian

caspian Member

20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

What makes a concern valid or invalid?
    Who decides on that?

BAK likes this.