Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

And to think, they wasted a perfectly good Darius setup on that shitty software.

Hive likes this.
  2. bcann

bcann Member

Ok,

Ran into a super interesting situation:

LOB $hitware, we've decided to no longer pay maintenance on certain modules that we don't use anymore. Given its only maintenance i figured on the off chance we might use them, we still could, but we wouldn't get any updates (We did pay the actual install fee/whatever you want to call it to buy these modules at the beginning). However it now appears that due to it being $hitware, the patches that get released are not split into modules, but you just download all the patches and it patches all the modules. As such they want to disable fully the modules we already own, because we "that you would still receive fixes and enhancements to those modules even though you stopped paying for the maintenance on them".

Now i think this is more then a bit fucked, by rights we own (or at least as far as software is concerned, have a right to unlimited perpetual use of them up until the end of this year) the software, but obviously we shouldn't benefit from any fixes or support.

What is the OCAU brains thoughts on this?

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

* Tell the vendor to fuck off
    * Replace shitware with FLOSS/cloud/both alternative
    * Burn staff who refuse to change/learn/migrate

Hive likes this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

Yeah given the industry were in, FOSS doesn't exist, and cloud does exist, but we'd have to likely pour in $500,000 plus staff training (God kill me now) to get something that would be like for like, and given the law is constantly changing and likely to change again (Given the Royal Commission), that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. As far as staff, i'm not gonna comment on that ;)

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

tell vendor to fix their shit installer/patching system. so customers that don't have those modules get the patches anyway?

6. bcann

bcann Member

This is pretty much my thoughts, although i nearly sprayed the water in my mouth against the screen when i read installer/patching system, when it literally is, hit download, copy files manually to directory, run program, click on update utility... a proper patch management system for this $hitware, would be a wet dream.... I mean were currently at Service patch 70 for this version, and its still a POS.

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Ask for a refund for the modules that you paid for and can no longer use. Watch vendor deny the request, so tell them to GTFO you are licenced to use said module but don't want updates

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Tell $hitware vendor you want 2 deep sea fishing trips (insert different reward of choice) every year for the life of the contract, might as well get some reward for being asstrucked. EDIT - was reason one middle management gave for using using verbosely expensive vendor in one job eons ago.

PS - reminded me of middle management "rewarding" us hard working admins by allowing us to go to Indy Car GC (when it was a thing) to vendor tent on the Friday (practice and qualifying), oh thank you kind overload, of course they went on the Sat and Sun. ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

[​IMG]

phrosty-boi, bcann and elvis like this.
  10. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

Gotta put your best foot forward...

[​IMG]

....hahndorf for steins and knuckles.
    Unless the Southern Expressway is running the opposite way.

I mean, why *wouldn't* you half build 18.5kms of road?

2SHY and olie like this.
  11. olie

olie Member

They did finish it eventually, but hey, the price is right!

j3ll0 likes this.
  12. Hive

Hive Member

Mate hit up Luke212 he can save you thousands on your new clouds.

13. power

power Member

haven't you heard, he's out of clouds and onto rainfall.

14. Hive

Hive Member

All this time and effort people put into making nice, functional, execl spreadshets could be better spent.

Like counting individual grains in a 1KG bag of salt.

Every spreadsheet i touch i break. Stuff this software. And access can suck a great big dick as well.

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If everywhere you go it smells like shit, maybe it's time to check your own shoes.

Hive likes this.
  16. Hive

Hive Member

If i possessed the need to maintain glorious spreadsheets i would give more effort into looking into it and training myself. I'm not an accountant and have no need for anything more complicated than a basic sheet to track asset numbers. I am proud to say that i suck at excel, there i said it. "huge" weight off my shoulders.

I will get around to reading that Excel 2003 for dummies book (still in it's packaging) when i have a need for it...

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

As someone who lived south and commuted to the City, 1/2 a road was 10x better than the alternative - Selective Recall leads people to remember ALL the times it was going the wrong way for them... every time it was going the right way, they just drove on it and didn't think about it.

After all, it's the logical extension of

and nobody laughed.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

GitHub's 2019 report shows continued, exponential, 100%-year-on-year growth of Jupyter Notebooks driven by an increasing demand for open data science:

https://octoverse.github.com/#footnote--growth-of-jupyter-notebooks

It makes me ludicrously happy to see particular groups of people who were previously highly dependent on poor substitutes for data analysis and data science (i.e. spreadsheets, as that was "all that IT would allow"), dumping then en mass and moving to far superior tools.

I also enjoy just how much tools like these really, really piss off the establishment. Watching "brilliant jerk" programmers get upset that average people can bash out a bit of code and do amazing things quickly is wonderful.

Rass and Hive like this.
  19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

well firstly, that is still operating in both directions at once and secondly, didn't they completely shutdown the southern expressway for a few hours each day to change directions?

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

yeah, It was down for 90 minutes each changeover - and because the Changeover took place at around 2am - DST probably confused them :)

Looking at it in a vacuum, it's a stupid road, but at the time... providing an alternative to the 2 heavily loaded roads in/out from/to the South, it was a godsend.

SA #1 Longest Reversible Freeway - take that Eastern States.