Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Please please let this become the norm, I would much prefer my time spent writing code to other things then other peoples statistical analysis. :thumbup:
    PS - MBA Data Science is the new MBA Computer Security, which was the new CISCO CCIES, which was the new... <certificate>, yes MBAs are the new MCSE.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Alternatively, go do data science for a bigger company, and get paid fat stacks.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Much prefer the challenges (Not always but at the end of the day prefer) of maker IoT land to corporate banking.

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah, fuck those nerds

5. 2SHY

2SHY Member

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

As per the discussion thread, this is clear H1B fraud at work. No company does this seriously.

There are dozens of companies now that offer H1B manipulation services. It goes to show just how much cheaper foreign labour is if the cost of H1B Visas, the workers themselves and consultancy fees all added up are cheaper than local staff.

"The free market will solve everything! Less regulation will solve everything!". Fuck yeah, capitalism.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Being an American 'internship' I guess they should be happy they're advertising pay. Internships are generally an unpaid 'get work experience' role over there :Paranoid:

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

Where do I sign up for that shitfight!

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

A internship is meant to be a learning experience, not sure what someone with 5 years experience doing all that stuff is going to learn, but in Merica this is legal, internships in Australia are illegal unless linked with a recognised education institution. Also laws clearly state that doing work that is o otherwise paid work under the guise of internship is illegal any company must pay.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

So Google will be using your computer/phone/spare bandwidth as a distributed ad and spyware storage and server platform.

yay. can't wait for that

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Not sure i get what they are trying to solve or how they plan to do it.

If you're on a website it will proactively download the content behind any links you might click on and cache it then share it on your network should anyone else visit that site?

Seems like a perfect opportunity for a MITM attack

13. bcann

bcann Member

I swear to god i'm coining a new term that everyone in IT will be familiar with "The Vanity Move"

The Vanity move is where you move large swarths of people, across the office space, for no other apparent reason other then "A change is as good as a holiday". Thus far in the just under 2 years we've been in this office space, i've done 2 near total "Vanity Moves" of literally the whole entire office, i've done another 2 * .5 Vanity moves where i've moved about half of the office, and played table waterfall, where one person moves down and that person moves down....

Never again am i working in a place where females are in such a high percentage of staff, and get their every whim catered for. Just the sheer amount of pointless crap that i have to do that serves literally no purpose other then "A change is as good as a holiday" style reasoning is literally driving me nuts. Don't even get me going on the fact of how many meetings i HAVE to attend, because i "Might learn something i didn't know" Because this company literally can't communicate properly, and you only learn about stuff, through hearing another person speak about it in some seemingly random meeting, totally unrelated to what the actual thing is about.

mooboyj and elvis like this.
  14. power

power Member

people who shuffle offices around constantly, fuck them.

mooboyj, NSanity, bcann and 3 others like this.
  15. Hive

Hive Member

Getting right to the point here. Bunch of twats.

16. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I moved a bunch of users and large MFDs around at a site earlier this year.
    The site changed managers a few months later and the new manager (who was actually one of the people I moved previously) decided they wanted it all moved back again.
    I moved the people after making it quite clear that I was not happy about doing so and I point blank refused to move the MFDs because they were in a better spot now anyway.

I heard rumblings recently that she wants to move people again. I think she's trying to build up the courage to ask me again.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

I support this term.

Previous place I was at was notorious for it, and always did so with little to no notice. They'd get frustrated when IT were rightfully busy doing real work instead of helping them move people for no good reason (especially when IT knew they'd move back in a week, because they always did). So they'd do the move themselves, and then fail miserably to perform basic functions like plugging in all their cables successfully, resulting in hours of downtime the following morning (because why bother testing hardware that moved *before* production use?).

Eventually the IT manager there cracked it, called an all-heads meeting, lost his shit, and demanded that it had to happen with good reason, senior manager approval, and with enough notice for IT to have staff available during and after. Never have I seen a bunch of people look so sheepish.

mooboyj and bcann like this.
  18. power

power Member

it's gotten to the point here that i refuse to help move the desks now. i'll plug your shit back in when you get it setup that's it.

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i've told managers at our sites that i'm happy for them to move their staff themselves, but if things don't work at the new location they will have to lodge a ticket for me to schedule a time to come and fix it and if it's urgent then they should move it back to the old place where it was already working.

so far there have been a number of moves, but i haven't heard any complaints about things not working at the new locations.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

One of the places I'm working is renovating the building, floor by floor. every 6-weeks or so it's musical floors. But they do it properly. hire office removalists, IT are scheduled. It's not "because reasons".

All the lemmings have to do is pack/unpack their personals, and figure out a new button in the lift for a few weeks.

Rass likes this.