Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Thanks to an ERP 95% of our PC's all require the same software when it comes to desktops and redirected folders removes issues related to keeping a particular PC. We have docks on desks with dual monitors and users can move their laptops and connect to the dock. Unplug phone, plug it into new desk and hey presto user has moved.

2. miicah

miicah Member

elvis

People coming up with new and exciting ways to use Excel:

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

This issue is definitely not contained to female dominated offices. The last 3 managers in this office have been male, all have played the same game. Lets move everyone to improve the office. Every time it makes no difference. The next manager shows up and thinks they can improve things, rinse and repeat. I've only ever successfully talked one manager out of doing it. Damn that was a good day.

What shits me the most over it though is, we're set up with each workstation largely identical. Two monitors, keyboard/mouse, laptop dock. All that really needs to happen is laptop undocked, moved to new desk and jobs done. But no, that's never good enough. They need to have their keyboard and their mouse and the colour on the new screen is never right and blah blah blah.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Happy for you to swap keyboards and mouse with some folks I've worked with, pretty sure you would also want your own chair and disinfectant for the desktop and surfaces also, if you had a desk swap with them.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

jack.gif

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

you realise the modern take on this is hotdesking... errr Agile Workspaces.

The difference being its up to you to move your shit and you are allowed zero personal affects nor work that can't be taken with you on the day.

$vendor I worked for went one better, we just said fuck it - everyone work from home.

bcann and olie like this.
  8. olie

olie Member

Certainly saves spending money leasing a large office to house your staff.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

people are also curious as to why no-one knows anyone else and feel isolated all the time.

elvis likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Most mouth-breathers can't handle extended work from home sessions.

A huge chunk of staff need an overlord to micro manage them, and feel lost without one. The same sorts of people who tell you they'd "be bored if they didn't have work".

Typically work from home works exceptionally well for people who simultaneously have a large backlog of solo R&D tasks, but also spend large chunks of their week helping others. The time away does wonders for them to churn through the backlog before returning back to the office to help those who require 1.2 FTEs worth of effort to generate 1.0 FTEs worth of output.

mooboyj and bcann like this.
  11. NSanity

NSanity Member

yeah, a day at home usually means i can do about 3 days "work", uninterrupted.

The way this pans out in reality is that i get personally stressed about my backlog, spend half a day at home, then take the other half of the day off and come in the following with my deck cleared.

colmaz, Hive and elvis like this.
  12. power

power Member

I have never understood this one. Same with the people who actively visit other sites when they travel to say hi. Get a life people.

elvis likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Neither have I. The world and all of its mysteries are intensely fascinating. There's so much to see, do and learn long before "commercial need" even appears as a blip on my radar.

I have strong theories about people who can't imagine outside of the tiny box they exist in.

14. power

power Member

same with people that are on compo, ermagerd i'm so bored - other drones agree with them.

15. BAK

BAK Member

I have found that I'm bored now that I've finished my degree. I was also bored when I quit World of Warcraft (which was one of the reasons I started the degree alongside full time work).

Some of us lead pitiful, boring lives. Work and study can often mask the bleak emptiness of reality for these people. Be grateful you don't understand it.
    Yes but you have strong theories about most things.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Learn something. Turn wood. Try an instrument. Fix something broken in your house - one thing electronic, one thing wooden, one thing metal. Buy a skateboard and learn to ride it. Read a philosophy book. Watch a scary movie. Install Duo Lingo and see how much of a random language you can learn in 6 months. Write some software. Write a poem. Do "Couch to 5K". Buy a recipe book and attempt one new recipe each week. Work you way up to a free standing hand stand. Watch at least 3 Kurzgesagt videos. Draw something as accurate as you can - study the form, the shadow, the texture, the composition, and recreate it in pencil and then in paint. Design something simple in 3D CAD then go make it. Start a herb garden. Play a sport. Teach someone something.

I mean, my god, there is SO MUCH TO DO. I can fill ten lifetimes with interesting stuff. The biggest sadness is how much of our lives we waste doing rote, repetitive, banal shit for people and causes that don't matter when all this varied and interesting shit is nearly limitless, and we'll die (or become too old and broken for the capitalist machine) before we get to experience it.

As should every member of Space Ship Earth. We all live here. Living is about more than existing, and we should care about it.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

those bored people are no longer bored because they have social media.

18. Gargamel

Gargamel Member

Honestly I think for a lot of people it's not just lack of imagination, but rather aversion to putting in effort to learning something new.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Well to be fair there's plenty I don't want to learn. I mean, each to their own when it comes to interests. I can't stand football, I have zero interest in cars, and I think singing is boring. But in the list of infinity things minus the few I hate, there's still heaps that is interesting. :)

Ask yourself - if you had all the money in the world, what would you do? Then ask yourself *why* you'd do that. Find the essence of the thing.

People tell me they'd love to travel, but can't afford travel. What do you like about travel? The languages? The culture? Seeing new things? Plenty of ways to get that kick on a budget without leaving the country or even taking time off work. Same goes for anything - find what sparks joy, scale it down to what you can do in your local area.

bcann likes this.
  20. Gargamel

Gargamel Member

No argument here. I've enough to keep me occupied for several lifetimes :)

Everyone has time / resource constraints as you note, nice reminder there's always a way if you think more deeply on the topics.