Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

amen. One of my customers has invited me to theirs, even going so far as to re-arrange it so it's on one of my on-site days, so I don't miss out :).

2. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

We're having issues with ICT people going to end of year drinks. None of us want to be there. There was the usual ICT people being anti-social rant until it was pointed out that one of us is a DJ at a club, another smashes them hard at some of the clubs and the fact that I bloody ran societies while at Uni (and ran the most profitable events). I didn't want to go because I want to MTB the next day in the morning, then spend a few more hours replacing EFI hose in my drift car (I discovered a fuel leak :/). When the above was pointed out, management then looked at the rest of ICT that are all basically over 50 and aren't interested in pissing on. In the end i'll go for a couple of hours, have maybe two beers then bail.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Similar feels in my last gig. Most of the business were 20-somethings who were... let's say "overly right-brained". IT were all 30-45, the vast majority married with kids, and enjoyed deeper conversation about complex things rather than shoes.

We were all firmly criticised for being "anti social", despite all having deep social groups outside of work that weren't shallow nonsense, as well as responsibilities for living humans other than ourselves. When that was pointed out, the criticisms vanished.

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

MEH BAR HUMBUG! just be that guy who volunteers to be the one to hold the fort while everyone else goes out and gets on the piss socializes with the unclean masses outside of ICT, that way you are still a team player by allowing the rest of the team to piss up socialize, so you can stay in the office in case of "emergency".

5. power

power Member

or go, fake a stomach cramp and go home - it's far easier to leave early from a pub than the office!

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

I like the old "I'll meet you there!" trick, as I walk with my bag to the carpark...

Fred Nurk and power like this.
  7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Am I the only one here with coworkers I would voluntarily spend time with?

8. power

power Member

possibly, i had better co-workers in retail though. i'd hang out with that bunch any day and still know plenty of them. that was more than 10 years ago (i think!?).

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

In my last gig I certainly liked the more technical members of the company. Both in the support and artistic areas. They were brilliant folk who always had interesting tales to tell, or could hold a good quality discussion on any topic.

But Christmas parties aren't about that. They're about *everyone*, including the ones you don't like. Following the old Price's Law and/or 80/20 rule, that generally means more you don't like than those you do.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Free alcohol, I'm in, and if I don't like you, I might after n+1 drinks.

PS - HR can deal with it tomorrow. ;)

bcann likes this.
  11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Nope, but that's not what we're talkin' about willis.

As much as I hate the concept of "working hours"... If you're having a mandatory Christmas party, it better be during working hours... or you're paying me overtime for my presence.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

One thing I did like about my previous workplace was that HR were always the first ones to hit the sauce hard and do something stupid.

Rass likes this.
  13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Wait, there are companies that think they can hold mandatory *anything* outside work hours? Fuck that.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Did I ever tell you about my Flight Centre interview? Ho boy...

bcann and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I mean, it could be in this 47,000 post thread somewhere, but hey, you could always tell it again...

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Cliff notes:

* Interviewer looked dead inside. Pretty sure she was contemplating self harm
    * Mandatory, unpaid "staff drinks" one weeknight per week, basically a work meeting in disguise
    * Mandatory, unpaid "staff retreat" once per month, full day Saturday, another bunch of work meetings in disguise
    * Lots of red flags about being a "team player" and not going against the tide
    * Lots of anecdotes of high attrition rates that were blamed on bad attitudes of countless staff

Years later, various friends who'd been through there all confirmed turning that one down was a wise move. They wanted "everything fixed", but at the same time wanted people to change nothing and continue bashing their heads against walls, all the while forcing people into outside-of-work-hours events that were clearly work things.

bcann likes this.
  17. cvidler

cvidler Member

No. Co-workers I'm happy with, good people, lots of long termers* - and being a satellite office that pulls in big $, we get the funds for fun, but no HR localally to mess things up. customers, that's hit and miss.

* I figure as a company we do things right with hiring policy, those people that last past the probation period seem to last forever. Most people in the office are 5 years+, many well over 10 years.

18. bcann

bcann Member

Sound's like a small MSP i worked for in Mackay...

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

worse.jpeg

mooboyj and elvis like this.
  20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

All my colleagues are 8hrs drive away. The yearly christmas party for me is generally an email inviting me to a party I can't attend, as accommodation isn't in the budget. Even if it was.. 8hrs on the road each way is a bloody long drive for a hangover.