Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chip

chip Member

I've done my mandatory HR training, and learned that by excluding you, it's bullying. Only way your employer can make this right is by flying you and putting you up near head office.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I got invited to one in Sydney. Hung over flying is the worst, so I declined.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

HR will tell you your being a bully by passive aggressively ignoring everyone else.

4. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I have clients....so I can pick and choose at will. It's great.

I'm going to at least 3 parties :)

elvis likes this.
  5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Not only is there plenty of media and anecdotal evidence that the place is an exploitation cult for young twits who like to 'play hard' and get sexually harrassed / peer-pressured into frat-house behaviour, the network was also a complete dumpster fire, at least it was last time I had the privilege of taking a very close look. But I try to block #JustMSPthings from my head because ain't nobody got time for dat.

My favourite part was finding that daisy chain of 18 EIGRP routers (in a flat L2 domain, naturally) doing the classic stuck-in-active causing 10.0.0.0/8 to come in and be withdrawn in a ~20 second cycle in an infinite loop, and they never noticed it (because the traffic would simply follow the default route to the same place). Took me longer than I'd like to admit to nail all 18 debug ip routing outputs to the wall and reverse engineer the exact sequence / root cause. Bonus points for the proxy running the entire 'everything is web facing' stack that was only one-armed so all the traffic would saturate it twice on a dainty 2960 with access switch grade buffers, but oh noes lets waste weeks 'tuning' TCP and layer-2 QoS because surely your most critical piece of infra in the chain belongs on a 2k switch trying to serve the internets to thousands of users. Fuck retail (also fuck hospitals, and fuck education, and um fuck it fuck all customers)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    bcann, mooboyj, Hive and 2 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

This company has no HR. Pretty great mob to work with. :)

Rass likes this.
  7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

How do you do "culture" right, without cliques forming?

Best 'company drinks' plan I'd seen was a standard $X00 on the bar at the start of the night... the freeloaders would come, drink, and then the bar tab would run out, they would finish their drinks and go.

The rest of us would buy another drink and carry on conversing.

Then after the people who only came for the free drinks had left... the Boss put his card back on the Bar.

freaky_beeky, elvis, NSanity and 2 others like this.
  8. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

So in essence you still only came for the free drinks, knowing full well that you only had to show a little more interest than the others.

9. shredder

shredder Member

The moral of that story is that the difference between an amateur freeloader and professional one is staying power. (beaten by looktall)

Guess the cliques are more or less "company man/woman" and "just a worker". Positional seniority and the Inner circle of company culture go hand in hand.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  10. NSanity

NSanity Member

So we fly our whole brisbane team quarterly to either sydney, canberra or melbourne for our department town halls...

I've had more than 2-3 people confirm to me that place is a giant swingers/orgy fest.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    bcann and freaky_beeky like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Back when I worked for the finance mob, they wouldn't let my team fly on the same plane as a BCP thing. True story.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

LOL we had 3 teams Bris, Syd and Melb, only 2 people of the same role could be in the one place at any time, this was the early 90s mainframe days.

elvis likes this.
  13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Nope, I went to them, because you could learn much more from a Drunken Sys/Net admin than you would get in the office from a Sober one :).

Your ideas intrigue me an I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

bcann and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  14. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I've never been that important :(

Hive likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

That tells me you're hiring the wrong people. I'll tell you exactly the same thing drunk or sober.

I dunno about "important". It was just less money for individual flights than it was to replace a whole UNIX/Linux team. In that regard, my individual value was boiled down to a dollar value, which really wasn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

Few years ago, we had a "everyone come to America HQ" trip. HQ planned all the flights, and all of the Australian team was one the same flight out of Brisbane. They must've gotten a good deal booking out a third of the plane.

When I raised exactly this to my bosses - no one had considered it, they were more concerned with getting customers to approve a week with no on site support/work. It was considered for the next year - we had three flights.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

"fuck off Mortal Kombat is much better than Street Fighter2" ????

elvis and NSanity like this.
  18. power

power Member

this is a great way to figure out who to fire imo. Better yet, limit to basics as well.

NSanity likes this.
  19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

AMEN to that, plus you can call someone on their bullshit when they pretend to know, and use words HR don't allow just so long as its after the official party is finished and you are buying your own drinks. ;) NB - PC babies have new laws that mean even if its 2am, if you started drinking together straight after work, its still considered a work function, so make sure you move venues... ;)

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

Nah, we are individual flights. Bitch you book your own shit on Concur.

I get your point but you are so far fucking wrong it's not funny

millsy and elvis like this.