1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. caspian

caspian Member

agreed. crazy people on street corners with their fairly limited audience aside, 30 years ago you had to have something worth listening to to be heard by any significant number of people. you needed to be able to convince a publisher or an editor that people would actually pay to hear your thoughts on a subject. now any dickhead with a $50 secondhand iPad, free wifi and the minimal knowledge to log into facebook can inflict their thoughts on a disproportionate slice of the world.

this is one of several reasons I'm increasingly very selective about the online fora I participate in. even the most select of communities need a mute button to deal with their resident community of clowns, which is why I haven't bothered with whirlpool for many years.

neo2_tas and elvis like this.
  2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

the thing about this though is how they all manage to find each other, leading to the reinforcement of their beliefs and the resulting increase in the volume at which those beliefs are ejaculated onto the rest of the world.

3. shredder

shredder Member

It need not be a turtlestack.

It could just be a binary back-and-forth.

Humans: All this manual work is annoying. Let's make machines to do our bidding.
    <robots take over>
    Robots: All this self-maintenance is annoying. Let's make some kind of self-sustaining organic meatsack to take care of all that, so we can focus on hardcore robotting.

Which leads to the obvious next theoretical question: is it harder for a human to make a robot, or for a robot to make a human? /vague

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. cvidler

cvidler Member

I suggest you research reverse fossilisation.

5. shredder

shredder Member

True. Also Kryten.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I can't imagine super evolved AI being concerned with the limitations of a physical being. Is assume more of an aethereal, distributed hive mind that could shift physical shells, even across planets, at will, as it constantly recycled and upgrades it's components.

So less like individual beings, and more like the cells in our own body die and replace themselves to serve the larger being.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  7. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

GumbyNoTalent and elvis like this.
  8. shredder

shredder Member

Some story had the robots' ultimate (earthly) goal being to beam themselves out into the universe as data. :Paranoid:looks at avatar:Paranoid: Might've been the Cylons of BSG, can't remember offhand. It was the same principle you mentioned anyway, a fundamental separation of hardware and software which we as humans may never have, and which limits our imagination in terms of what they could do.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

After Iron Man dies in the comics, it was discovered he'd secretly been backing up his conciseness digitally. He then beam that around the universe to different suits he'd had made and scattered about to travel as he pleased without the limits of a body.

If that were and option, it would probably be easier (and existentially safer) to just exist in all places at once, and periodically sync memories and learning experiences hive-mind style instead. No time lost to pesky travel. No single point of failure.

10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i present to you Altered Carbon.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah pretty much. I'm certain neither are the first version of the idea. Separation of mind and body is a staple of early existential philosophy.

I did a whole year of philosophy at uni. And while fascinating, it was not a vehicle for financial success, so sadly I had to move on to please the capitalist gods.

Hive likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Hive and Gargamel like this.
  13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I'm extremely disappointed that this doesn't actually return a 404.

I'm sure there's some reason why you shouldn't return a 404 on a page you expect people to actually visit, but still.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

After a Fork, who are "you"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

And what happens when "you" try to sync with the collective, but all the other you's take one look and decide they don't want any part of that?

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Burflags

DavidRa, person and NSanity like this.
  17. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

You blow up the Citadel and fuck off, C-137.

colmaz and Wozzernux like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  19. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I believe the preferred nomenclature is "CO2 producer".

I'm reminded of an old Jeremy Clarkson quote about the Chrysler Sebring - commenting on the car's performance, he surmised there was none - "All it did was convert fuel into noise".

elvis likes this.
  20. melatonin

melatonin Member

oxygen thief and jeremy clarkson meationed within one post of each other, brilliant.

Gives me an excuse to watch this again,

elvis likes this.