Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Hey mail server gurus.

have example.com with mx record of
    Code:
    10 inbound-smtp.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com.
    have a staging server staging.example.com which runs postfix.

if I add
    Code:
    v=spf1 mx include:\_spf.staging.example.com -all 
    does that fix being added to spam for that sub-domain?

mucho gracious in advance from mail server noobcile.

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

no backslash after include: in ur txt record and maybe try softfail (~) instead of hardfail (-) first

you probably want to sign your outbound w DKIM as well as a bare minimum as well to avoid spam traps

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

UGGH... I don't do mail servers, inherited this issue fixing a broken build pipeline, even after I suggested using a different domain for testing and staging like "nofuckenclue.com" instead of company primary TLD.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sorry I missed that. Chalk it up there with their 'lets let users order expensive software themselves direct from the portal without admin intervention' idea, and whatever other brainless fuckwittery they've been up to lately.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Ok if anyone is slightly interested.
    If you are on AWS and use SES (highly recommended), once the TLD is verified all subdomain combinations are also assumed verified and accepted. YAY!

Postfix + SES the AWS way
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/postfix.html

So now you can build pipeline and any *.example.com subdomain will have mail for EC2 or ECS, currently testing if I can do it with Lambda, doco says yes.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

7. Rass

Rass Member

Wow, thread is still pretty quiet - was hoping for some Friday shitposting.

So I recently changed roles and I’m actually out tonight with some of the staff from the last workplace. Bit awkward, cause the banter seems mostly about shit that’s happened since I left. Lol.

Gargamel likes this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

"Yeah I can come back and fix that, new rate though is $300/hr minimum call out 4 hrs."

Rass likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This has happened at almost every job I've left.

To be fair, when I worked with them, all we did was bitch about work. So fair enough that they're still stuck in that mode, because so was I when I worked there.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

This'll be right up your alley elvis.

elvis likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've been watching a few minutes of this at a time over the last few days, not only because it's a long weekend, but mostly because watching it makes me physically ill.

This is exactly the sort of thing that comes to mind when people defend spreadsheets as the go-to tool of their org because of "accessibility". It's classic "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

And if people want to further counter the argument that hating on spreadsheets is pure elitism, attached in that video's description are the real world dollar and reputation costs of what happens when businesses use the wrong tool for the job:
    http://www.eusprig.org/horror-stories.htm

The last 6 months have demonstrated to me the very obviously widening gap between good and bad businesses. We're hurtling toward the technological singularity, and it's blatantly obvious how unprepared the sheer bulk of businesses, organisations and even individuals are. The stuff covered in this video will be looked at in 200 years the same way we look back at doctors who used to bleed patients with leeches to cure STIs. It'll be seen as hilariously clueless and wilfully ignorant by future generations.

12. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

working for a megacorp with a gazillion spreadsheets and broken provisioning/ordering processes, I can't even bring myself to watch this because it might make me cry tears of enrampagement

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

And I'm sure the org was filled full of people defending the "system", claiming it worked just fine.

I've told this story several times, but there was a large national retailer I worked for eons ago that was packed to the gills with pirate software - at least 800 desktops I knew of running unlicensed Windows + Office. I explained to the GM at the time that they were in a lot of strife (himself a lawyer who felt he had the clout to argue his way out of it, arrogant prick). Eventually after I welcomed him to take on Microsoft lawyers all on his own as I'd be leaving rather than knowingly continuing to roll out unlicensed software at scale, he folded, and we began rolling out OpenOffice as a temporary measure until budget could be found to true up the Microsoft licensing situation.

Lo and behold, accounts were in a tizz as hundreds of very important spreadsheets were suddenly showing errors. The head of finance called OpenOffice an unmitigated disaster, and wanted the heads of the two sysadmins responsible for the rollout on a platter. After finally convincing him to let us actually look at the spreadsheets in question (asking IT to actually help with an IT problem, amazing I know), it turns out the errors were in Microsoft Excel as well, but rather than throwing an error to the screen, continued on silently.

What was discovered was not an OpenOffice incompatibility, but rather a business-wide set of errors to the tune of millions of dollars in fuckups over many years that went completely unnoticed. The head of finance went from demanding our heads to threatening our jobs if we let the news out.

What an amazing place that was to work. I resigned soon after. And not because of that, but because of even worse things. But boy did I learn a lot about corporate psychopathy in that gig.

CptVipeR likes this.
  14. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I have a quick question if anyone knows how to drive this VirtualBox stuff better than me (read: everyone). All I want is a Windows 3.1 environment to test some old CDs on but for some reason I can't even setup the box because:

upload_2020-1-27_19-48-39.png

OK, easy, just go to System - Acceleration page and change that setting...

upload_2020-1-27_19-50-50.png

Oh, so no matter whether I untick it or change any of the other dropdown settings the OK button remains grayed out. I also can't set the floppy img to load due to this "problem" either.

Anyone know what the trick is here?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Do you have VT-d etc. enabled in BIOS?
    Are you running Hyper-V or WSL2? That locks out other hypervisors

16. caspian

caspian Member

just to add some contrast to this discussion from the point of view of what IT would regard as a user -

let's say I have a need for a relatively small, tactical tool. it's going to be used by a fairly small team of users, maintained by maybe 2-3 people, and our needs change frequently due to a variety of people within the business having the attention span of a goldfish and the decision making ability of Sir James Hacker.

we're basically banned by security restrictions from coding our own application, the whitelisting process for an application is so onerous that it would take longer to continually get permissions for the ever-evolving app than it would take to use. assuming we had the the budget to spend on someone to maintain the app, which is not going to happen - we have an IT team we're supposed to use for this sort of thing!

except of course the IT team follows a formal Agile methodology, so whenever we need something created, or maintained, or tweaked even slightly, we need to:

- create a front door request to the IT team delivery manager
    - go through an approvals process to justify the request
    - waste several days of manpower helping create epics and user stories, sending someone to PU planning to argue and explain our use case for resources against everyone else in the wider business competing for the same iteration resources
    - spend fuck alone knows how much time dealing with program managers, upskilling a developer in our business to the point where they can actually understand our complex requirements well enough to build what we need (and it's *never* the same developer so we have to start again every time), testing (including beating the test environment into some sort of shape where we can actually test), feedback, defect resolution, then delivery in a planned maintenance release.

all of this takes 4-5 *months*, by which stage the requirements will have changed, and we've already raised a new request for the next round of changes *before the previous ones have even been delivered*. oh yeah, and we're bleeding all of this time, because the business wants results with maybe a 48 hour turnaround.

repeat, continuously.

or, the team takes the alternative of home brewing a solution in Excel using a combination of formulae and VB, and if the needs of the business changes the spreadsheet is updated in a day or so.

I really don't get the hate on spreadsheets. they're just a tool that gets used in the impossible conundrum when a business simultaneously defines the impossible goals of immediate results and quality standards based development that takes time. as always, the proper solution is for the management of the business to accept that they cannot have both, and as usual there is no avenue to do so. so the staff do what they must with what they have.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Then your process is hurting you business. Fix the process.

I hate spreadsheets for the same reason I hate guns: because the competent minority continue to push them into an incompetent majority and disaster ensues.

Repeating:
    http://www.eusprig.org/horror-stories.htm

Read every single dollar figure on that page, and then tell me how you personally would have avoided every one of those disasters of you were in charge of those users.

18. chip

chip Member

Sounds like they've aimed for Agile, but achieved waterfall. Or maybe agilefall, if we're being kind.

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

last year (early Dec) I submitted a firewall change request at a customer, same thing I've done many times before, it got approved and completed last year.

Yet nothing worked.

Took me all of 5 minutes to figure out the change was not done properly.
    Took until last week to get them to finally admit they didn't do the change properly. I provided a list of 30 source addresses that needed an exclusion. They only did the first 4, because "too many"
    Asked them to complete the change as created and approved.
    "Oh no, can't do that, it's been closed off, you'll need to create a new change."

And people wonder why their environments are uncontrolled (and no one likes change control).

20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

That's the correct procedure for a closed off ticket.
    You should have been given an option to not accept the closure when it was originally closed.