1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Really I think I've just had it too good for too long. I can't see myself walking into a job somewhere else and not encountering similar stuff already in place.

Yeah, just the short sightedness of it bugs me. It's a 'cost saving' measure that will cost money in the long run. And it's not like it's a lesson that needs to be learned or anything, I'm not sitting here thinking it's an utterly retarded idea because I don't like it.. there are studies on this crap, real scientists and everything, it's magic. And they all say the same thing. Open plan = bad. Hot desking = bad. So we'll save a couple hundred grand on rent now, and lose it all 12mths from now as productivity drops, staff turnover increases, costly business mistakes start being made more frequently etc etc.

2. millsy

millsy Member

I'll give that to my work, they got rid of dedicated desks and offices for _everybody_, not just the junior staff.

It's shit and people don't love it, but at least we all suffer together.

Pretty much my same story currently hey, better the devil you know and all that.

EvilGenius likes this.
  3. shredder

shredder Member

Trying to think cynically. I assume open plan also brings a certain self-policing element to productivity. So a slacker can't hide away in an office for years out-of-sight-out-of-mind.

I don't for a minute think that justifies the day-to-day pain for workers in open plan.

But I can see how a certain management point of view would see a worthy trade-off (***** that they are). "There may be staff turnover and dissatisfaction, but as long as we keep the seats full then we can rely on a certain level of economic production, plus control leeches".

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

but but but, you can't think outside of the box while you sit in one!

5. chip

chip Member

Constant audio and visual interruptions, plus the innate unease of being in a situation where people are moving behind me, certainly affect my output far more than any fear of a PHB deciding I'm not working hard enough based on a glance at my screen.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  6. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

Challenge accepted.

7. shredder

shredder Member

Guess what I was trying to say, is that they can quantify that general across-the-board disruption, and account for it, more than they can for hidden leechwork.

The phrase Better the devil you know was used unrelatedly above, and it also probably applies to an open plan space full of workers too, if that makes any sense (and I admit, it may not, it's too warm and Fridayish for thinking).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  8. shredder

shredder Member

Feel compelled to give a special mention to the fact that Open Plan is PRETTY DAMN SWEET for individuals with forms of anxiety, panic attacks, social issues, Asperger's, etc. My sympathies for anyone in that sort of boat!

Those sorts of environmental difficulties can then be, not just constant annoyance, but career-ending-ask-me-how-I-know.

Not that society gives a shit about that minority demographic, mind you. A truism which goes double in Business.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I remember being called out to check an issue with a wireless headset one day. Took a seat at the users desk and started poking it with a stick, while the user made themselves busy doing other tasks in the background. Didn't notice anything off at first, but it slowly dawned on me what was going on. I was witnessing a master class on being flat out doing nothing. Not since my days in the navy had I seen anything approaching this level of skill. She organised a pile of papers and moved them to the other side of the desk, tidied up a bunch of other paperwork etc, making all the right noises. Then she went out front and refilled what I noticed were already full boxes, then shuffled those around too. When she was done she came back in and moved the originally shuffled pile of papers right back to where they had come from. I fixed the headset issue in the first couple of minutes but stayed longer just to see more of the show.

She got away with that shit for years. Too busy to help others with certain workloads, yet busy doing not a bloody thing, but nobody saw it. It happened right under their noses. Would open plan have fixed this? Hell no. I almost missed it myself.

10. tonner78

tonner78 Member

One week left in MSP land........ Moving to government.. Let's see if this is a good or bad move - only one way to find out! Can't be any more toxic and bullshit than what I've been dealing with the last few years.

So sick of being driven by financials aka making someone else rich..

phrosty-boi and Daemon like this.
  11. cvidler

cvidler Member

You'd think it'd be easier to actually work?

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

She had probably convinced herself that she WAS working...

freaky_beeky and elvis like this.
  13. cvidler

cvidler Member

it's not a lie if you believe it.

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Mostly a mindset thing, but there are other 'benefits'. I mean in the military you learn very quickly how to make yourself look busy to avoid being given a task that will almost certainly be worse than anything you could occupy yourself doing, even if what you're doing is ultimately nothing. One of the big downsides to doing actual work is, you need to keep doing it till it's done. You can't just walk away from a task that is yours to do when you feel like it. If you don't finish it before lunch, you do it when you get back. If it comes with a deadline, like pretty much every task we have to do here does, then you need to work hard to ensure it's complete on time. If on the other hand you just sit there playing with yourself making it look like you're busy, hell you can drop that and walk out the door whenever you want.

15. Rass

Rass Member

Just finished reviewing ~20 years of documentation for an in-house software application which sprawls across multiple data centers and core to one of the divisions raking in nine digits in revenue.

Over the years, things have been continuously bolted on to keep it relevant and able to work with new systems.

it’s amazing the archeological layers of both documentation and code, you can almost pick the year by the trendy tech of the time.

This is why daddy drinks.

Daemon likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

*Opens favourite web page*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern

* Scrolls down to sections:
    ** Cash cow
    ** Stovepipe system
    ** Big ball of mud

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

It's unpleasantly hot and raining here but skimming that list brought me out in chills...

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's literally a printable list of sins you can hand to any CxO on your resignation day.

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Well those papers aren't gonna shuffle themselves.

20. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

I love seeing that image...
    Reminds me of a departure I executed 3 days before Christmas.

elvis likes this.