Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

So sending an e-mail confessing his immense love of goats from my coworkers desk when he leaves his PC unlocked, isn't allowed?

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

3. shredder

shredder Member

Probably wouldn't have loved my, to name a few,
    • Dam design competition entry, wherein I showed the dam bursting onto the head office's city, to which I had added large spiked walls on the rear side
    • Photoshopping the senior staff onto various movie posters like Home Alone
    • Upon a proposed merger, making an animation of our company logo growing a shark mouth and eating the other company's logo, and being fatter afterwards
    For some reason head office grew an irrational dislike of me over the years I was there. It was pretty good for that finished career, heh heh heh...

In seriousness. It was funny for the people close to me, but can still be a problem. e.g. local director saw some of my 'work' over over people's laughing shoulders, and did the old "I find it funny, the other directors will also find it funny! I should email it around!". Other directors, from other places, who didn't know me except as some meaningless staff member from elsewhere in their kingdom.

Looking back I was very naive. But then who isn't.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

One of my friends is quite senior in his organisation, and when he discovers an unlocked PC, he emails himself saying: "your an idiot".

He then replies saying: "You spelt you're incorrectly."

His habit has become well known, newbies who do it are horrified, and everybody else has a laugh because they already know about it.

5. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

I managed to rope the company CEO and HR department into pulling off last year's April Fool joke.
    Absolutely no chance of repeating anything like it this year, no one is going to believe anything on April 1 now.

elvis likes this.
  6. cvidler

cvidler Member

Places I work, both users would be breached - potentially fired.
    - leaving computer unlocked
    - using someone elses logon session not supervised by that user.

7. Hive

Hive Member

What about the postit under the keyboard or on the monitor with the company shared password?

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Fixed that statement.

9. shredder

shredder Member

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    bcann, PabloEscobar and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The main issue is most people opposed to working from home, are opposed to spending more time with their spouse or offspring, this is why they insist on working not at home.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I have no problems with such people existing. But I do have many problems when such people impose their misery on me. They're welcome to sit in an expensive office all alone, while I'm experiencing, greater personal comfort, greater cost savings and greater work efficiency from my home.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I would agree with you except I don't have multiple screens at home like I do at work and I am therefore less efficient when working from home.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Whats stopping you getting multiple screens at home?

elvis likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Even on a single screen with a trackpad, I'm exponentially more efficient at home than I am in an office full of constant nagging, interruptions, time wasters, tire kickers, filthy fucker co-workers, open plan offices that echo banal conversations across time and space, socially troubled co-workers who lose their mind at inconsequential things, and the rest.

And buying a couple of screens that I can claim on tax and then use for my own personal requirements as well is something I'd happily do to avoid all of the bullshit above. Beyond that, I can set up my environment how I want. Need silence? No problems. Want Twitch/YouTube/Spotify in the background? Do it. Hot outside and want to work in your undies? Be my guest. Quick trip to the shops on your lunchbreak? Piece of cake. Don't like the home office chair today? Work from the couch, work from the hammock on the back deck, work from the fucking toilet if you want.

Fuck offices. Fuck them to hell and back.

16. millsy

millsy Member

Being able to do the washing whilst working is an incredible quality of life improvement IMO.

colmaz, freaky_beeky and elvis like this.
  17. Tinian

Tinian Member

I decided just one 4K monitor so I can VPN, forum browse and watch Kayo at the same time.

elvis likes this.
  18. millsy

millsy Member

For me it's entirely circumstantial, regardless I prefer having the option if I can. I do miss having a desk at work though.

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Mainly not having somewhere suitable to put them.

I don't disagree with any of what you said.
    In fact on the few times I have worked from home it's been great, but with less screens I'm just not as efficient.

It's the same as when I go work from some of our other sites and I have to slum it with only one external monitor.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

This is why they make you come into the office, they don't want to be all alone, they just don't want to be home. ;)

PS - I see no reason for IT workers not to telecommute the option has been available for decades, I used to telecommute when on call in the 80's via a modem.