Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The usual battery of excuses.

* Boss doesn't understand it, so nobody gets to do it (conversely, boss gets to do lots of things regular staff can't, but ignores that fact)
    * Staff who can't work remote for whatever reason might get envious of staff who can, so we better make everyone suffer
    * Micromanagers can't handle not watching staff at every moment of every day
    * Poor measurable outcomes mean we'd rather measure people sitting at a desk for hours doing nothing, than be at home doing nothing where we can't measure how long they've been bored
    * People addicted to unnecessary meetings (whether through loneliness, personal anxiety, OCD, nosiness, whatever)
    * People who can't actually use computers, need sticky notes and large 3M paper sheets to think, and can't figure out how to collaborate with modern tools
    * Businesses who have shitty remote access tools ("sorry, our only remote access option is this 11 year old RDP system running on a single core bare metal box running Server 2008R2 connected to the Internet by a tin can and string")
    * It's not in the policy, and nobody knows how to actually add anything to the policy, so it's the same policy from the 90s sitting on the Novell server.

All falls under my "hire smarter people" comments that litter this 10+ year thread.

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis RDP.... Windows noob. ;)

Why be in an office when your servers are in the clouds. if they need you there to break/fix your doing it wrong, its 2020 automate that shit.

3. tonner78

tonner78 Member

/thread

Couldn't agree more.. Gotta find myself that gig where I can do this more/most of the time..

elvis likes this.
  4. Hive

Hive Member

Don't ever let anyone call you a jaded grumpy old man. You are truly enlightened.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

PS - 1 screen, 32" 4K monitor with tiling windows manager and multiple workspace's logically grouped, welcome to 1999.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm dealing with one business right now in that exact boat. Mid sized freight forwarder with offices in Australia, Singapore, Manilla, China, hit hard by COVID-19, only remote access solution is RDP to a box in Melbourne that even their Brisbane staff can't tolerate due to the poor setup, low bandwidth, insufficient IO resources on the box, etc, etc.

2 years back I suggested they consider remote access solutions designed this century. The comment back was that the IT manager was precious about his solution, and didn't want to change. Pretty cool that one precious individual's lack of foresight is now retarding the entire org's international business. What a top bloke.

bcann likes this.
  7. Hive

Hive Member

"This is how we've always done things though"

bcann and elvis like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    elvis

I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. But, to be honest, I do like writing down a list of common excuses in advance, turning up to a business, handing them the list and then telling them they can't give me one of those as a reason not to improve things.

Everyone thinks they're special, and their business is unique.

bcann, millsy and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

LOL, I moved a trading company in 2011 floods, so that all the workers could work from home via remote desktops and VoIP apps, while floods didn't effect office all access roads to office where flooded, using VMware VDI, most people had enough bandwidth then to work effectively. Now days with BYOD and web app everything, most office workers could work from home, and also work outside normal office hours given they aren't hamstrung by "office hours" for direct communication. I also see no reason for people to geographically located close to the "office", but what would this Gen X er who gets called a boomer now. ;)

PS - Calling it "The Office" always makes me laugh, because most places that do, resemble the Tv show of the same name.

bcann and elvis like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Biggest irony of all is Silicon Valley. The apparent "tech leadership" of the world where earning $200K/year leaves you homeless because local house pricing is so high because nobody can work remotely.

If you work for a top 10 tech company and can't work remote, something is very, very wrong.

[edit]

No idea how I screwed up, but I posted this in totally the wrong thread. Re-posting here...

Hey you know that expensive EV cert you bought that lasts somewhere between 5 and infinity years? I hope you don't have any customers or staff using Apple products.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/20/apple_shorter_cert_lifetime/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    bcann and Hive like this.
  11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

or the irony of IT workers who can't use key exchange for ssh or git, and continue to complain about not having clear text authentication... yes this is a current thing like now... personally I would just not employ this person who is a devops person, YEAH NO they ain't.

EDIT
    And now I'm being asked to ex[plain how I do the following;
    • ssh <DESCRIPTIVE NAME like SHITCOMPANY-SERVER1>
    • scp localfile SHITCOMPANY-SERVER1:/some/fucking/location/
    • ssh SHITCOMPANY-SERVER1 top
    fuck my life, fuck dumbasses

And now we need to explain tmux to their Linux expert... FFS

GAWD I hope your in this thread...

Rass likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I just spent 2 weeks "training" a group folks who have apparently been using Linux a long time on how SSH keys and ssh-agent work, and what Kubernetes is. (Not using it, not deploying it, but just what it is).

Considering who they work for and what they get paid, I was genuinely stunned.

13. chip

chip Member

We can't hire people who know things, they might leave for another job!

looktall and elvis like this.
  14. shredder

shredder Member

Do you limit your observations to tech companies?

As perhaps one of the few regulars here who's had long professional roles outside tech, I think you'd have a much harder job achieving remote work uptake in many fields.

Tech industry is simple in that regard, you're already halfway to preaching to the choir, and thus it's the "easy bunch" of the universal working population. Much as it may seem otherwise.

Go to Old Boys Club industries like the fellow surveyors, engineers and planners I worked with, and you'll see Inception-like levels of inertia you've never dreamed of.

15. bcann

bcann Member

I work in medical, the depth of inertia here makes the time dilation effect of a black hole seem fast by comparison. And yet still there is zero need to spend the tens of thousands we piss into some superannuation companies bottom line renting their office. We have all the communication tools in the world here (Yeah yeah its the Microsoft stack, but at the end of the day, it does what is needed to telework at all levels) we also do Software PBX, VPN and all the things that say i can work on a beach in hawaii, with a company supplied mobile and laptop. Yet here i am, looking out the window (Yay for me, 1st IT job that isn't in a basement somewhere) of the head office, one of 5 offices mind you, where we still have to be physically at the office because.... well the same poor reasons why most other companies are stuck in the 70/80's...

Yay for boomers and commercial real estate. At least my "Commute" home is 4 minutes including scotch pouring time.

16. shredder

shredder Member

Quite a large percentage of the total labour force has to do work that doesn't involve comfortably sitting on your bum in a soft chair all day. If everyone did then (in the absence of a ready robot population to take over all) it's goodbye to all physical human endeavour and achievement which maintains the comfortable world around us which allows us (the niche minority here in this thread, and our like) to live the privileged tech-y existences we do.

upload_2020-2-26_13-22-47.png

17. chip

chip Member

1 in 8 people is a manager, yet labour productivity growth in Australia is shithouse. If only we had more managers.

elvis likes this.
  18. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Funnily enough one of the 10 NESs is "Requests for flexible working arrangements". https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employe...n-the-workplace/flexible-working-arrangements
    The majority of the workforce has the RIGHT to ask to work from home.

elvis likes this.
  19. shredder

shredder Member

How do the categories (from the graph above) "Technicians and Trades Workers", "Community and Personal Service Workers", "Machinery Operators and Drivers", and "Labourers" work from home? (not to mention the large swathes of other categories which have the afore-discussed Massive Inception Inertia).
    Does not compute with my known definition of NES.

20. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Requesting, and being granted are two very different things. Obviously employers can refuse on "reasonable grounds".

But there are a few employees out there (and in this thread) who could work from home if they wanted to.