Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I raise you: company uses dropbox, puts PSTs on dropbox, complains about network is slow.

Almost as fun as the wild west outsourcing days in the late 2000s when people would be sent to Elbonia with roaming profiles active and then wait an hour for domain login whilst their roaming profiles synced over the 10M international link (that was used by a few thousand Elbonians)

Or when people would mass email an entire site with 1k users a 10Mb attachment and the site ain't got no local exchange servers back in the day when 10M links was hot enterprise shit

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    bcann and Hive like this.
  2. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

This particular case wasn't so much an elephant in the corner, it was a whole herd of woolly mammoths in one corner of the office. The dude who was a problem quite happily turned up to the training, expecting that eventually everyone would understand that it was everyone else who was difficult to work with. It would all be a lot easier if it got called out more often though, or if at least the problem people lost their shit at the training and got dealt with.
    Now that I think about it, same place had a senior manager who was well aware of the issue, but was very conflict adverse. He'd routinely call a meeting of the hostile parties with the presumption of actually tackling the issue, only to not show up, leaving everyone else in the meeting sitting awkwardly. The meeting minutes could have been used as the script for Groundhog day.

3. shredder

shredder Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  4. bcann

bcann Member

This is why i laugh at cloud that email shit, and companies are still on their shit internet and cry when it grinds to a near halt, or takes 20+ minutes to receive that shitty pic someone sent to 100+ individuals on their shitty 10/10 Mbit link. All parts of the cloud system need to be upgraded or your just moving the shit slightly further uphill.

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Did I tell you about govt project to remove local file shares that spend 7 figures on shitrix etc. and didn't engage a single network person or perform any WAN upgrades?

<removes local file server>
    <link grinds to halt>
    <P1 P1 P1 P1>
    <Ops gives middle finger, link performing to spec>
    <C level escalation>
    <Ops explains how a cup of water can only ever hold a cup's worth of water>
    <Ops blows brains out with gun>

bcann likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm sorry, all I heard was "cleaning toilets".

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

All I hear is "doing things wrong and blaming everyone else"

8. bcann

bcann Member

Look it doesn't matter what it is that is clouded is more my point. as per the file server relocation just above, if it is done without the requisite bandwidth upgrades, its all gonna turn to shit.

9. shredder

shredder Member

Ways to achieve C level escalation:
    • Affect the bottom line of the entire business
    • Do something that slows down their computer
    Either one will be met by an equally enthusiastic Priority 1 C level response.

That's why the BOFH knows that to keep his job he needs only provide the seniors with nice gear.

10. scips

scips Member

I'm with bcann on it, plenty of the small businesses are like fuckyeah cloud (and sold fuckyeah cloud by nbn/msp/mitch) then want to spend home internet budget. Nothing wrong with it but have your 1990s processes & procedures ready to roll.

Example of this, I do a bit of support(friend of the owner, more advice than support and its just his side biz) for a 45 room rural hotel, they have a meraki router(so this wont need me to do anything when they finally do what I tell them) with telstra fttn nbn.

Their net has gone down like 3-4 times in the past year for more than 15min, they call me, I send them a phone screenshot of the telstra outages page showing them :thumbdn: and tell them to get a 4g dongle and put it into the router as fallover....they still haven't done it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  11. wwwww

wwwww Member

Ok this one was my bad, went back to the office in the middle of the night to find:

[​IMG]

I left a Windows USB stick in there so when it rebooted for updates it booted the USB.

colmaz, bcann and chip like this.
  12. power

power Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    freaky_beeky likes this.
  13. chip

chip Member

vPro owns, except you lose the video functionality if the machine being controlled has a discrete graphics card.

14. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Depends on the card I reckon.

15. chip

chip Member

Have you found a way to make it work?

I stopped looking for a way after reading AMT SDK docs stating the KVM functionality only works with integrated graphics

16. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Perhaps.

I don't have hardware to test now but I did do some vpro testing on some hp systems some years ago that had extra graphics cards in them.
    I'm not entirely certain but I think they may have been still classed as integrated by the system.
    Maybe tapping into the onboard chipset and simply being an additional display output.

So if you're only wanting additional graphics output probably ok but if you're wanting additional graphic processing power then yeah that might be a different thing.
    Having said that it might still be possible with the right brand, firmwares and chipsets?

17. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Laughing at shit networks aside the cloud bit that makes me laugh even harder is how the same clown show approach to Aussie aussie aussie enterprise IT still predominates. To paraphrase Elvis they're just finding new and cloudy ways to blow their own feet off.

Example, MS has their entire Cloud Adoption Framework up there for free, detailing precisely how best to architect and operate for a variety of use cases / business requirements, dos and don'ts, some of the best put together reference architecture doco I've ever seen. Yet mid-large enterprises are still stumbling around blindly, either in paralysis analysis OR led by the nose by cowboy devs / incompetent MSPs, resulting in messed up cloud deployments when they had the perfect chance to build fresh to best practices.

Most hilariously of all so many larger orgs have cloud initiatives led and governed by infra guys WITH NO CLOUD EXPERIENCE OR CHOPS - they're not even trying to learn, they're just going 'well my title is X so i'm going to all the cloud meetings and putting in my 2c'. If you're lucky they genuinely try, but can't seem to get around the mental roadblock of 'the cloud isn't just VMs somewhere else'.

No, get the fuck out of the way, bring in some proper cloud consultants and do it properly or at least fucking go on an Azure course or have acloudguru sub, but no, lets collect our 150k+ wages and keep pretending we're 'architects' *spits on floor*

Its sad but only dev driven orgs seem to get it right, large enterprise is so far behind the curve its not funny

I won't even get into how many dollars have gone down the gurgler with govt/finance/health/ASX200s trying 'private cloud' because they're big and important (i am old and cranky enough to remember when Telstra bought Senseless I mean sensis and them going 'we're going to out-google Google' - yeah good luck with throwing $$$ and enterprise vendor blackbox solutions, it worked so well for DD didn't it). I'm currently gasping for air at various attempts to sell and kludge 'multicloud'. Buy CSCO/VMW's latest kludge middleware shitfest 'orchestrator' and the magic will happen, its what they promised last time innit. Ultimately a LOT of useless pricks have to get out of the way and you need to bring in the smart guys, guess what it ain't cheap, oh guess what cloud isn't really magic save money button you retards

Fuck it back to herding packets, if it gets lean I'll pretend I can haz security, fuck it at least I know how certs work and to block port 25 so that makes me qualified right. Fuck it I'll even smile and pretend I like inserting VNF firewalls into public cloud because that makes SO MUCH SENSE (well aside from the fact that cloud native firewall functionality doesn't even come close to mediocre NGFWs.... dammit). Also multicloud is a sham, there I said it (and by that I don't mean 'best-cloud' i.e. picking different specific functions, I mean trying to seriously spread the same workloads and functions across multiple)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

*Cracks open his "anti patterns" wikipedia page checklist*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here

Well that one's a freebie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson's_law_of_triviality
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_by_committee

Australian business technology is in a pretty abysmal state. Even if you're lucky enough to find a place that even has the faintest idea about 21st century computing, the average ability to execute is non existent, whether that's in-house or outsourced.

The only people who appear to be doing a half decent job are brand new businesses who have no concept of historical computing. (And even then, they just end up making trivially avoidable mistakes that anyone not born yesterday could point out).

What I am seeing, however, is that almost every market out there is ripe for the picking. Established name brands in given markets are always a tricky thing to overcome. But all of this is demonstrating that you can really upset a market if you can beat them to a decent digital offering. Examples are plentiful - Australian cab companies vs Uber, for example. You'd be stuffed if you tried to start your own traditional cab company up to that point. But there's not a damned thing Uber do that any Aussie cab company couldn't. And yet, Uber came along and upset everything because they offered a trivial way to book and pay for a ride (who gives a shit about ride sharing - I use Uber because it's an app and one less thing I need to carry cards/cash for, and way easier to use for business - something any cab company could have done, but they were stuck on EFTPOS and cabcharge as their abysmal "modern" offerings).

Countless other industries are the same. I mean, shit, look at Australian retail. Look at Australia Post! In 2010+ with everything purchased online, getting your shit together and improving warehousing and logistics, or offering a highly streamlined parcel delivery service, should have been a license to print money. And yet our established businesses are all stumbling hard because they just simply don't understand computers. How anyone fucked that up is well beyond my comprehension. Pissing and moaning that Amazon is "ruining everything" is an enormous cop out, when had the establishment put in even a trickle of effort, Amazon wouldn't have ever got a foothold to start from.

This is nothing more than an extinction event brought on by apathy, laziness and arrogance. My schadenfreude continues to bloom.

bcann likes this.
  19. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Services aside

cloud is nothing but more expensive vm's somewhere else.

/runs

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Advise ERP team that our main freight forwarder(80% of our volume) is moving from single file upload to API back in May 2019, with a deadline of Feb 29 2020

ERP team underestimate project despite repeated reminders from me and our warehouse manager. They decide to have a hard go live date of Feb 29 2020. Due to timezones, i'm now sitting in the office on Sunday since 7:30am waiting for them to make changes in PRD so we can test, they are overdue by 30 mins so far. Tomorrow is Australia's 1st day with the new configuration and they are still ironing out bugs.

As a bonus, during final day of testing in DEV it is discovered that CouriersPlease labels stop printing after 1 label is printed, CouriersPlease handle 20% of our freight volume and when I asked for an update it was radio silence.

Piss poor planning promotes piss poor performance, piss poor performance promotes pain.