1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. millsy

millsy Member

One of the major taxi companies had an app in Brisbane before Uber, I distinctly recall tracking my taxi on it and seeing it pick someone else up and fuck off.

I think you're giving too much stock on other countries for pushing forward with new tech elvis , shit's bad everywhere.

2. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

I don't recall there being an app prior to uber. The best I could do was call black and white because they sent you a text of the taxi plate of the driver before they arrive, so you could battle the hordes of people for "your" taxi.

3. millsy

millsy Member

Apparently I'm a goon, I didn't realise how early uber came to australia, I was thinking ~2013 for the app I used. But apparently uber was around earlier :)

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Uber didn't beat them at their own game, Uber played their own game, with their own rules, that offered the same service that Taxi's did, without any of that pesky overhead, underwritten by VC's at an unsustainable price.

By not using it, and putting in artificial barriers to using it.

If you're trying to sell something, and can't convince the people the interact with your customers, that its worth buying, those front of house people, aren't going to sell it for you.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Compared to the US, India, Brazil, Germany and others who use an enormous amount of home grown software in both public and private sectors, we're miles behind.

Australia's whole MO in software is to wait a decade for everyone else to use it, then roll out out poorly and pat ourselves on the back. Our "bleeding edge" is everyone else's "ancient history".

Worse, we have a huge chunk of our workforce actively paid to prevent things. And in that respect, we're a world leader. Shame it's in the wrong direction.

An honest question for you: if your management rolled out a new service / mandate / policy, and you actively sabotaged it, how long would you keep your job?

6. shredder

shredder Member

Let me fire one back at you as a thought experiment: if you, elvis, set yourself the goal of covertly sabotaging one of your businesses policies, do you think you could do so without getting caught?

I think you could and you'd have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

If the policy centred around generating profit, no. There's a lot of sins I can (and do) get away with. Actively sabotaging income is not one of them.

8. shredder

shredder Member

If there was common understanding of the big picture [how well-implemented technology would improve company's income] then I guess you'd be out of a job.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

CptVipeR likes this.
  10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yellow Cabs and Yellow Couriers, used Sensis maps and was written before GPS embedded phones, was fun doing triangulation using signal strength algorithm from 2+ towers.

PS - was released with the iPhone and partnered with Telstra, based on the overwhelming response from people in the tech forum here, would explain why it failed as a taxi app but was successful as a courier service app. It was also ported to Blackberry things.

11. shredder

shredder Member

Back about 2010 when I was into this, I remember working on an asset tracking system for a contracting firm, e.g. a fleet of hundreds of diggers, graders, loaders, trucks, etc, spread all over the country. My small part was interfacing the code with Google Earth and getting it to display everything. That side, the tracking side, was/is pretty logistically simple, custom-made pingers (made by others in the team) reporting back to postgres database then spitting out whatever fields/details you wanted, to whatever reporting and display interfaces.

Following that the company moved on to the taxi project and others, which would have seen it/us become reasonably large/successful, but before it could 'take over the world' the earthquakes happened and various things fell over badly following that, most critically the mental health of the master-elvis-like director (not me) who was the true heart and brain of the firm. It was all very unfortunate.
    Wow what year was that, must have been awhile ago.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

2007-2008ish from memory, iPhone was done before Australian release.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Correct. Which is a day I dream of, constantly.

But specific to Taxi companies, if they had the foresight to implement a not-shit booking/billing system prior to the arrival of Uber (which I'm being told in this thread that they did), and the cab drivers managed to sabotage such a thing, I want to know how that happened.

Where I come from, if people within the business sabotage large scale management projects, they get canned. Specific to Taxis, I don't see how a driver prevents a passenger from using the app for booking and billing when they USED THE APP FOR BOOKING. If particular drivers don't want app-driven fairs, they can ignore them, and go about things the old fashioned way waiting for a hail. Drivers that do want the app-delivered fares take said fares. Somewhat akin to "survival of the fittest", the ones that take the fares get paid, and continue working.

Where my understanding falls apart is how it gets "prevented". It's akin to telling me that a point-of-sale retail staff member has the power to "prevent" a new point of sale system going in. Either they use it as instructed, or they don't and get fired (certainly the case if they're caught taking cash and pocketing the profits). Where's the grey area? What am I missing?

shredder likes this.
  14. shredder

shredder Member

How is the mental health in here anyway gents? Anyone breaking down? Tell us!

15. shredder

shredder Member

Not much. Specific circumstances played out logically in given cases, I assume. In my small city, a workforce such as taxis numbers in the mere dozens and is run by crusty old guards. Uber is so new here it still has the plastic wrap on. When I spoke to some of the local taxi bosses in 2010 about tech, many were on the fence. If I made the same approach today in 2020 I think it would be markedly different. Competition is a big motivator.

16. connico

connico Member

Taxi drivers subscribe to channels and services that help them find bookings. It was advised by a lot of these services / groups that if they used a app based booking system they would be barred from the network. This network they have is their life blood...

Regards

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Politics, and the answer is very simple, Cabcharge also licensed the booking systems used by the cab industry, and they did not see the point of moving away from a radio based booking system in 2008 because of the licensing revenue generated by their radio booking systems. They also didn't want to interface directly with EFTPOS gateway of choice in the day *** (old age can't memberberry their name) so they took ages to implement their own gateway, and lock the Taxi industry into Cabcharge fees, with kick backs to politicians and taxi industry fatcats.

I'm so happy they are struggling to exist and will most likely be delisted from the ASX soon, as the cab industry spirals into extinction.

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

RE: Taxi's.

You had legislation implemented that forced the competition to raise funds to bail out the taxi industry in NSW.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/tax...-for-unnecessary-bailout-20180130-h0qdcm.html

I get the impact on teh economy should an industry of that size fail in any state but they are a private org. Guberment shouldnt be bailing them out or when an industry reaches X size some protections needs to be borne by the business in the event of a failure.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

So as I said earlier:
    I wonder if any of these people attempting to impede inevitable progress have ever read a history book?

I see a few per month across several customers of mine. Big ones too (career ending for some). Pretty concerning how often it's happening.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Follow up on the above. As the API calls have to bounce in between AUS and US before the shipping label is finally sent to an AUS printer it has added 30+ mins to our local AUS warehouse operations per day or an extra week of work every 3.5 months.