1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Wut? How slow is this API?

2. Gunna

Gunna Member

ERP is located in the U.S. SO we scan a label, data swims to the U.S who initiates the call to an Australian carrier to generate consignment number etc, then there is a 2nd call for a print label in between U.S and carrier and finally the print job is sent to the AUS printer. All told it adds about 16 - 20 seconds to each shipping label

So across the multiple boxes per order that each require a shipping label and the number of orders we do it adds 30+ mins a day

3. millsy

millsy Member

Bloody hell gunna lol, that's ridiculous.

On the taxi front, I think my only other thought is there's a lot of talk about the technology, but if you take the lazy example of uber, in my experience people mostly use it because it's cheaper, and it's only cheaper because it's subsidised by VC. Be interesting to see if they get their self driving cars in time.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I don't think that's the entire population though. I see a lot of businesses using it because of the convenience factor (booking, billing, allowing certain staff to use it, etc), outside of individual trip cost.

Fucking around with cabcharges and paper receipts, checking up on staff to make sure the trip they've listed on paper is the truth and not a Friday post-work pissup, and asking receptionists to ring cabs has now turned in to "it's an app".

5. millsy

millsy Member

Indeed, I couldn't debate which uses taxi services more as I haven't a clue!

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

this is why i prefer uber for work.

no paper receipt to fuck around with and i can order it without having to speak to anyone.

elvis likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Even better with "quiet mode" too, where I don't have to listen to yet another cabbie giving me unsolicited financial advice.

We'll reach peak humanity when I never have to interact with another human.

bcann likes this.
  8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You can do that whenever you like. The rest of your existence may be brief, but at least you'll be happy?

9. tensop

tensop Member

Close to it!

currently on the max dose of nerve pain blockers for MS and having to take it all in one shot before i sleep and just deal with the pain during the day.. just need to survive another 5 years till the kidlets an adult :)

next step is opioids, and thats a road i don't really want to go down

10. Gunna

Gunna Member

Considered experimental treatment?

Wife is friends with a lady that went to Russia, had a treatment that involved taking blood and processing it(I'm simplifying it) then giving it back to her. Stopped all symptoms and slightly reversed some dage done. We were following he blog through the treatment, seemed rough though

11. tensop

tensop Member

yep, i know about that one - cost is around $300k from memory - and its essentially chemotherapy

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Yeah stem cell therapy mixed with chemo. Wow didn't expect it to be that much but if it works....... Tough decision to weigh up

13. tensop

tensop Member

i've well and truely considered it - and tbh, if i didnt have a dependent and i had another 100k on me - i'd more than likely do it

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

That sucks. Not that it helps a damn, but you have my sympathies.

15. shredder

shredder Member

That sounds annoying (to put it lightly). I don't know if you want to talk about it necessarily so feel free to not reply. But what kind of pain is it? What causes it? Related to the degradation of the nerve myelin sheathes? (forgive inaccuracy, I'm just going by memory of vague basic MS knowledge). This will be of no help whatsoever most likely (old news to a sufferer!), but back 20 years ago or so I was friends with an old couple in rural Victoria - actually he was 60's and she was more like 40's - the wife had MS, and from what I know was on the old 'wacky backy' quite a bit apparently to alleviate some symptoms and regain a touch of quality of life. But I'm doubtful that would have much effect on pain, and may just make things worse.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  16. Gunna

Gunna Member

Actually cannabis is good as a pain management tool

https://www.painmanagement.org.au/u...ng-with-pain-views-of-medicinal-cannabis.html

https://www.healthline.com/health/cbd-oil-for-pain

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm in that narrow overlap of chronic pain sufferers who can't take cannabis. It changes metabolic rate, which changes how my cancer-slowing meds work, which is too much of a risk to take.

So chronic pain it is. Hooray.

18. shredder

shredder Member

OK, didn't know that, good news for some. I just remember some anecdotal talk in another thread where someone with pain issues said it only made them more aware of their pain in a stoned kind of way. But yes, anecdotes. Afaik cannabis is a pretty new area in modern medicine, as in, being illegal in most countries has greatly restricted the sheer volume of studies which could otherwise have been done to bolster the scientific consensus, be it positive or negative or (as is most likely the case) some of both, circumstance-and-individual-dependent.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  19. tensop

tensop Member

disclaimer: all tests done in "amsterdam"

herbal remedies would only make me more aware... and i tried enough to green out and pass out - and was still stoned 3 days later(i shit you not)(probably about 10 grams in 3-4 hours... i could barely hold on to the bong lol)

Food tasted great though, and i definitely watched inception, bladerunner 2047, arrival, interstellar, the martian multiple times from different dimensions

herbal remedies - no effect

cbd oil... tried it(drops under the tounge, 1000mg strength) - amazing for back pain.. it really loosens up the muscles and it feels like your spine just clunks back in to space... would recommend trying for anyone with back issues

TCA's - they just make me wake up and fall to sleep while in pain and lucid dreaming for 3-4 hours straight while attempting to wake up

zostrix - horrible 'dead' limb feeling

nervoderm(lignocaine) - stops working after a few weeks of use, limited effect, and the pharmacist was ready to dial 000 when i'd buy the store stock out thinking i was cooking up drugs

diazapam - almost as bad as lyrica withdrawls

SSRI's - no effect

tramadol - australia needs black box warnings like the US.. holy crap.

gabapentrin - mild to medium effect

lyrica - only thing that works, but the long term effects arent good at all.. messes with your head and rearranges/reprograms your patterns of thought, or rather how you reflect upon past experiences

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Doc prescribed me this evil shit to help me recover from a nasty bout of shingles. Fuck that shit right in the ear. After 2 weeks on that I could have happily wrapped my car around a tree. I found myself driving along thinking about all the reasons why it wouldn't matter if I just killed myself.