1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. bcann

bcann Member

Given they have test user on the email, they just went, fuck it move the template to production and click send, its friyay beer oclock and we got the email, just send it. queue, 10,000+ customised mail merged emails with the name test email user

Fucking muppets

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

He's got a point.
    But on the other hand if we let users design systems I have no doubt in my mind that we would end up with something so massively overloaded with functions as to be incapable of being used.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's not that people "don't" design with users in mind, it's that they can't.

Go ahead and ask a user what they want. Deliver *exactly* that, and ask them if they're happy.

If I could read minds, I wouldn't be doing this shitty IT thing.

4. Luke212

Luke212 Member

this is a interesting vid anyhow. happy friday

5. Gunna

Gunna Member

Every user has a different option on how it should look, feel and act.

Design the tool to perform a function and make it as easy to use as possible.

In this instance not correctly mapping a field in production would be user error not platform error

elvis likes this.
  6. Luke212

Luke212 Member

in this case its a design flaw. you shouldnt have to change merge fields between test and release. that they have to remember to swap fields is bad design. you change the recipients, not the content. dont let a draft template be sent to real recipients, dont let an approved template be editable.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  7. Gunna

Gunna Member

You are 100% correct, which leads me full circle to:

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

I couldn't agree more. I can't think of a single business-wide issue, whether it's a software product or some larger business process, that isn't summed up by this parable:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

Within any given organisation the most vocal are incredibly acute in their understanding of the problems, and far too willing to push forward with things that either impact or outright harm other areas without thinking.

And that's not limited to any one group - management are as bad as end users are as bad as any other team/department/individual.

Luke212 likes this.
  9. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

If you asked the people what they want, they'd say more horses. Henry Ford.

10. wazza

wazza Member

We're much the same - almost complete "no working remotely" policy, the only one able to approve remote work is the GM who won't. So the net result of this? Quite a lot of people work remotely, but they're massively hobbled by it because they have no access to the systems they need, and it leads to poor practises such as people keeping all of their work on their laptop which isn't backed up. Cloud anything also generally isn't allowed (though a couple of things have slipped by, because if you don't mention the word cloud he doesn't realise it's cloudy...). Admittedly quite a lot of our workforce could not work remotely until the robot uprising comes in (in which case we just wouldn't need these staff).

11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I can't believe I work for $MEGACORP but thanks to the miracle of O365 and my dogmatic insistence that all my projects put their crap on sharepoint/teams, I actually don't need to VPN in at all unless a boomer insists on using the file share because reasons.
    Even parts of the company intranet and most new intranet apps are now public facing after you 2FA. Unfortunately still some dinosaur apps/functions that are internal only (as well as stuff like customer facing management jumphosts etc. which is understandable except I have to cert-auth + 2FA into VPN, then 2FA again into jumphost infra, which is a pain).

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Tick.

13. wazza

wazza Member

Worse than that, it's not (just?) that he doesn't understand it, but it's very much a case of if you're not in your seat you can't be doing your job, mixed with if you are in your seat rather than running around like a headless chook you can't be that busy.

14. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

At my old job we used to generate 100s of TB of data per day (they're probably at PT daily by now).
    Our business literally could not operate without computers.
    There was no manual fallback in the event of some sort of computing catastrophe and still some executive types considered computers a distraction from doing your real job.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Tick and tick.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

And as usual you are incorrect, programmers are meant to implement requirements of someone else, if the business doesn't know the outcome it wants how is a person who specializes in writing software going to understand the "users" specific requirements? Software is only as good as its requirements spec, but we don't need to discuss software development practices because they all fail when the "users/requester" expects the programmer to magically understand their requirements when they cannot be assed spending the appropriate amount of effort to specify what they need and quailify success with a measurable metric.

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/7_Ps_(military_adage)

17. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I was in a meeting the other day and a customer IT MANAGER made a remark along the lines of "you fucking nerds lol". We were there to try to solution something to get them out of an imminent deadline that they had ignored for 12 months. I nearly walked out of the meeting there and then. Stupid pricks nicking a living. Couldn't run a fucking Jim's mowing

I guess the jokes on them, I should get them to change the item on our bill to "nerd tax"

elvis likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Paul Shelter in a few posts before his death ranted at length about "incompetent generalists" that occupy middle management roles in public and private sector alike.

Anyone who calls professional technologists "fucking nerds" qualifies as one of those. I've come to loggerheads with quite a few of these people in my career, and I'm not shy about telling them that they need me because I'm competent and their business is fucked, and not the other way around.

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Unfortunately as a consultant my living revolves around fixing the retardation of others, without being able to tell them they're retarded (at least to their faces).
    Its likely a career limiting trait, but so far I've managed to keep my ranting exclusively internal facing so as long as it goes into the background noise of 'fucking customers hurr durr' its somewhat acceptable

20. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

don't use the R slur bro