1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. millsy

millsy Member

I got salty when we had all our web traffic at work MITM'd, effacacy notwithstanding I was like welp it's their machine, not my thing to complain about.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

Most of my customers employ time limited user accounts.

If you're a full time employee, you have to renew every year, or it expires.

As a contractor, I get an account for the duration of the contract or a year.

No stale accounts.

admin level accounts are even stricter. short expiry policy, and renewals need business justification, and approval by a big wig.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We put in expiry on accounts if we knew it. But so many hires in the business were done without management approval "because Hollywood". You'd get people turning up at IT demanding an account, and nobody in the building could even verify the person was an employee. And once again, very few people could see why this was a problem, which was the truly scary part.

I've told this story before, but when I worked at $financeplace I had someone ring up from JAG bitching that they had employees logging on to our secure site and seeing other people's financial data.

Turns out they MITM'ed all their staff to do SSL inspection, rewrote all of the no-cache HTTP headers, and aggressively cached all dynamic content. I tried to explain that all of our settings were in place to prevent exactly that, but their systems were actively ignoring every single option we had available to us.

After several heated phone calls with their security people, the finally agreed to not rewrite all of our no-cache headers, and perhaps not spy on their staff's financial transactions. Regardless of "work machine" rules or not, it was a pretty shitty move.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  4. Gunna

Gunna Member

We are going through this at the moment, i got a bit salty by the way it was handled so I bought our European lawyers on board to the topic. They know this like the back of their hand after working on both GDPR and in other multi-nationals.

Infosec Team had their hand slapped, told to knock that shit off and that I was right. Without proper policy specifically stating what is collected, how it is collected and users informed you cant pull that shit outside of the U.S.

millsy and elvis like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Which is difficult news for US companies to deal with. We had auditors from LA get off a plane and ask why we didn't put stuff in our HR policy that staff could be pat down and strip searched if we felt they might have stolen a hard disk.

We advised them to go have a chat to the AFP first, and get back to us. They never got back to us.

6. connico

connico Member

Land of the free my ass

elvis likes this.
  7. Gunna

Gunna Member

No way I would work over there, at will states means you can be fired at the will of your manager. No recourse whatsoever so people come in, stay well within their lanes and won't make waves\decisions at all.

This work ethic shits me to tears at times. I'm very much a do whatever it takes to get the job done without treading on toes or upsetting anyone and it's a win.

8. Hive

Hive Member

Did you know that rabies kills 20x more people in a year than coronavirus? and the flu kills more than 1000 times that?

IT ISN'T ANYTHING TO PANIC OVER. Just like the Bushfires, this is just another way for media to continue misleading the public. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes. It's better than reporting about how corrupt the government is.

/over it. honestly if i hear one more story about this virus i am going to go on a trip to china to lick door knobs to prove the virus isn't so bad. then get a week or two of sick leave. ahh peace.

/rant

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

Here's your account to the guest wifi, 7 day expiry, come back when HR have approved your ass....

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yes. But my coworkers are freaking out, and despite my best efforts to put my headphones in and ignore them, I can still see their fervent hand waving out of the corner of my eye.

I don't work at home to avoid the disease.

In other news, LOL:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dW9sBkJ

11. Hive

Hive Member

Device cals, no wonder they are going cheap.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ah I missed that bit. I got redirected there from their Win10 Pro OEM stickers going for AUD$20 a pop.

13. bcann

bcann Member

Ok,

So Corona Virus IT Guru's, a question has popped up about if (We have 5 sites) we have people go through stages of corona virus that infect others and we have to give laptop/s and share them, how do we "decontaminate" that laptop?

14. Hive

Hive Member

Simple. Don't share them. It's not a company policy to share underwear between staff (Possibly even underwear with the 7 days written on to mitigate against wearing the wrong pair on the wrong day) so why share a laptop?

Or. Infect everyone with the virus (Like mums used to do - take the kids over for a chickenpox party). That way everyone is sick and nobody can be accidentally infected through a shared laptop.

If they are dead serious, just suggest reinstalling Windows to get rid of any possible viruses.

15. bcann

bcann Member

This was more asked in response to more people then laptops potentially... and if people have to work from home.

To also be honest, lets say that sharing laptops doesn't become an issue, when the employee comes back, can/should we permit them to even use that laptop anymore?

16. Hive

Hive Member

The virus cannot live outside of the body for longer than a week i read from the CDC. So it shouldn't need serious decontamination. Just wipe down and leave it be for a week or two.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

give the infected persons laptop to someone in management, once they contract corona virus you should get expenditure to purchase enough laptops for 1 per person.

mooboyj, person, freaky_beeky and 3 others like this.
  18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

BRB coughing all over people's laptops for the lulz

19. bcann

bcann Member

Hmmmmm i like your philosophy, where is your subscribe now button?

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

No need for Chinese whispers, here is the original source of inspirations for my thought processes.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/data_centre/bofh/

bcann likes this.