Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, look, I was trying to find a silver lining in the current shitty climate. I think I've been negative enough for a couple of lifetimes in the last few months alone. :)

bcann likes this.
  2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Why can't it be both?

Perko and elvis like this.
  3. ewok85

ewok85 Member

It's been very interesting for the last month - I work in construction and we completed a huge project 4 weeks ago, only for the whole site to shut down 2 weeks later.

Made our day 2 works easy, we can go in and be as noisy and disruptive as we want since normal staff are locked out.

elvis likes this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

Look we could work from home easily technology wise. The biggest issue considering we killed the everyone has a laptop idea 2 years ago, is if we were/had to use peoples personal machines (god KILL ME NOW) is the bar of IT skills for the place i work (kinda medical/health care) is that the bar for IT skills is so low you put that bar on the ground, and then dig another 2 feet down until you hit the top leve IT skills in the company, and then keep digging until at some point you actually hit rock bottom. Hell, even if we work with company supplied desktops at home (again GOD KILL ME NOW) the company has a philosophy of letting 90% of the company feign IT ignorance and literally avoid any and all IT work such as turning it off and on again, and basic troubleshooting over the phone, because their nurses not IT nerds, and it isnt part of their skill set".

Technology wise, it is easy, logistically/people wise, i'd rather drink whatever the slowest/most painful way to die liquid is then deal with that flaming shitpile.

We literally have everything from RDP/VPN/soft phone PBX, and have zero need for physical buildings/offices... But BOOMER

Our second biggest issue, is literally farmer bob. Most of our sites do not run off of a primary NBN pop, and are essentially sub pops of a primary. So should the shtf, and then farmer fucken bob pulls his hoe through a fibre it could take weeks or months for a repair if it really turns into a proper pandemic.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    mooboyj likes this.
  5. cvidler

cvidler Member

Boy do I have a deal for you!

mooboyj likes this.
  6. shredder

shredder Member

Reminds me of the time I went into the office after hours about 7pm to do some machine maintenance.

To find some quite hot alkaline batteries 'charging' in a nicad/nimh charger, sitting on the large wooden counter in the printing room full of paper, that being the central room of the complex.

Unplugged it all, left a grumpy note next to it. Do you reckon I got:

A) Gratitude for possibly saving the building/business from burning down, and for the technical advice given for the future, or

B) Neither or the above, and everybody quietly thinks I'm a bit of a prick, smirking at each other and mocking tut-tuts.

These are the same pricks with the open RDP. A respected professional national firm.

And not really an anomaly.

One thing I take from that office is that the boomer attitude can and often does pervade entire offices (hell entire industries....), even if there are younger staff amongst them. If the boomer attitudes are the senior power and culture of the office then good luck, might as well move on.

Old established professions are probably amongst the worst. Anything with a professional union /institute/charter body. Because they are handed down from and mentored by olds at every stage.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  7. wazza

wazza Member

I'm not overly concerned if someone does the right thing for the wrong reason - I'm just happy they did the right thing.

Sounds like we work in very similar places - our bar for IT knowledge is pretty damn low, hell I've had a case not too long ago where someone needed to move their work PC temporarily to do online training they couldn't do at their desk, but couldn't get their PC working in the new location.....because they forgot to take a power cable with them.

I *know* it will be an absolute shit fight with some of these people working from home, but my suggestion will be for them to take the company equipment home (no way in hell will I let them connect home PCs to the VPN - good way to ensure our network somehow catches corona!) with the caveat that IT absolutely will not under any circumstances make a home visit, and if they're unable to work like that then they're unable to work remotely. There's already been discussion about the potential complaints of "work should pay for my internet/chair/desk/electricity/toilet paper/marriage counselling" and the stance the company is taking is that we don't have to offer work from home*, so if you're not happy with the arrangement you either take the time out of your leave, unpaid leave or just don't do it.

* note the current discussion is around potentially offering it if schools close or maybe for social distancing, if it becomes a mandatory workplace shutdown by the govt we cannot do business (manufacturing/warehousing are at the core of our business) so it would likely be skeleton staff working remotely to pay bills/respond to urgent requests, with the rest of the staff on some sort of mandatory leave.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

I bet they've got "computer skills" on their CV.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

11. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

500 server error page

phrosty-boi, millsy and elvis like this.
  12. connico

connico Member

elvis I'd bet that anyone using Zoom is using it with O365 and Exchange online. Zoom strong point of integration is with MS

I don't understand you interesting workforce skill, the majority of large organisations harbours "idiots" at least in their workforce 30-40%...Idiots should be taken to mean those that require a lot of supervision to complete basic tasks...

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

and give it to Linus?

14. Tinian

Tinian Member

I'm one of many directed to WFH. One of the citrix farms is sketchy at the best of times. Once thousands more are directed to WFH, it will grind to a standstill.

15. millsy

millsy Member

jUsT cLOuD iT

phrosty-boi, mooboyj and NSanity like this.
  16. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Hate to poop on your parade, but you would have to go back earlier to register the Microsoft trademark to comply with ICANN rules and keep the name from those litigious asshats . ;)

elvis likes this.
  18. NSanity

NSanity Member

with all the neat speculative execution problems - new one every day!

Then mix in that increased sudden demand will cause costs to skyrocket on finite installed capacity!

Then mix in a ton of people who have never clouded before - public S3 buckets and Azure blobs everywhere!

GET HYPE MOTHERFUCKERS!

elvis likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Imagine being an IT professional in 2020 with no cloud experience. That must be frightening.

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

I actually think the vast majority of "cloud architects" - which are just low-tier sysadmins that have realized the writing is on the wall - are worse.

They are constantly trying to apply (usually bad - remember, low-tier) physical infra / design concepts to the Cloud.

Good Sysadmins adapt and understand what they are doing - even if they've not had the opportunity to really embrace cloud yet.