1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Two of our sites are currently offline due to reasons.
    They have no access to internal or external networks.
    No phones.
    No email.
    Can't hotspot and vpn in.

Totally dark.

It just so happens I started the day at one of those sites.
    While I'm enjoying the quiet, I'm hating being out of the loop on what's happening.
    I have SMS comms only.

phrosty-boi and elvis like this.
  2. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

The desire to have other people caress their happy parts.

Hive likes this.
  3. Tinian

Tinian Member

Scrolling emails is like loading a gif on dialup. Can't wait for thousands more users in the coming weeks...

4. bcann

bcann Member

So i'm guessing this corona virus crap has validated what we've all known for years now, and things that have passed audits from the Big 4 account firms.

Most BCP'S are little more then fairy dust to appease the stupid, and were never gonna work during a proper full blown disaster.

elvis and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Don't you do opening up port 22 or 3389 on my nmap or I'll have to fail you!

6. Rass

Rass Member

That was very apparent from the BNE floods in 2011 (?) .. the stories that friends of mine told me around having to scramble to keep businesses operational as their data centres we're losing power, buildings losing power and all kinds of things.

bcann likes this.
  7. bcann

bcann Member

The thing is, coronavirus literally isn't even a real disaster, its a disaster as far as appropriate knee jerk responses are concerned. I wasn't in brisbane itself during the flood, but i was in remote qld, when head office went under during the floods and i really did feel for the poor bastards lugging tonnes of gear upstairs with no power. Now that was a proper disaster.

Corona on the other hand is a shitshow of epic proportions as to why humans may have a larger brain, but are little more then sheep.

elvis and Rass like this.
  8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Once you reach that level I'm pretty sure your (referring to said oblivious person) sense of self importance probably convinces you the world would cease to rotate without you. I also imagine rather than living comfortably as one might on a lower salary, they're probably living in some ridiculously expensive place driving an over the top car, and need their over the top pay packet to continue to live to a standard suitable for their importance.

connico and elvis like this.
  9. connico

connico Member

dude don't let those doom sayers hear you mate, they may stab you in a back alley, decapitate you and spit down your neck... the worlds about to end mate and we all need toilet paper...

Anyways, BCP and working from home. I reckon this could help sort out the neck breathers of the world... since it may become evident that these assholes are taking our air...

10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

It’s pretty bad out there. Companies have stopped buying. Bad for business and people going to get layed off.

There appear to be a lot of chain reactions to this.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You mean to say that a world built on lowest-dollar-wins and just-in-time supply chains was all hanging on a thread, verging on collapse?

Well, colour me surprised.

("But it's the best system we've got!")

Hive, bcann and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Yup, just like most DR plans. Never tested, never validated but look good on paper.

bcann likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Tick boxes, man.

Doesn't matter if it's DR/BCP or HR interview processes or what. It's all bullshit to look like you care.

Funny how we give a lot of foreign cultures a hard time for their institutionalised dishonesty and corruption, when ours isn't a whole lot better.

14. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

At least everyone expects it there!

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Seems like most in this thread expect it here.

16. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Yup, when I worked private all those policies were exercises in paperwork and ticking boxes. As much as everyone bags government for being a waste of money, current emergency shut down and re-configuring is working to plan... luckily.

elvis likes this.
  17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Ahhaha BCP.

We just stopped going to work and leveraged our in-place Remote Workplace solution. Ya'll need to sit down and watch the adults do it.

elvis likes this.
  18. BAK

BAK Member

I've recently moved from an IT Dev/Eng role to a data improvement role within a finance team. While I unreservedly share your opinions regarding Excel in the "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail" context, I'm finding myself enjoying "automating" a lot of the teams work within Excel using VBA heavy macros to perform common ETL tasks. When I first started looking at ways to remove humans from as many repetitive tasks as possible I considered things like Python and Powershell purely because I'd come from an IT mindset of "eww, Excel" (largely informed by you, if I'm honest, combined with my own experiences of idiots trying to use Excel where it shouldn't have been used).

When it comes to the varying levels of technical ability in the team I'm working with, and the standard corporate IT approach to cybersecurity (whitelisted apps, etc), I could maybe get some other scripting environment or <other non-excel solution> implemented in a few months if I'm lucky. Or, as I've done, I could spend a couple of days learning VBA by example and writing macros that perform the same ad-hoc ETL that the team is already doing in Excel manually, but in seconds rather than minutes to hours, that staff can use without any additional learning curve or IT/admin overhead.

Of course I know that your (and other general IT-guy) rants about Excel aren't about people using it as an actual spreadsheeting application, but I still feel it's worth reminding you (and, mostly, the impressionable others reading) there are absolutely going to be examples where VBS/Powershell/IQY (which I hadn't heard of until now) will be legitimately the best option to use. Unfortunately, those use cases are probably less than 5% of the overall use of excel, but now that I'm in a role that inhabits that 5% I'm finding myself really enjoying exploring the potential (and being amused at the potential for misuse I see along the way) of Excel and its toolkit.

TLDR: This job, using extended Excel features to turn hours of monthly tasks into seconds. Last job literally used Excel as their sales/quote tool in a diabolical fancypants macro infested hellscape of cell-based "graphical" UI and autoshape buttons that literally only one person in the entire business understood and had the workbook protection passwords to. Muuuuccch happier in new job.

elvis likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Generally when I rant about Excel, legitimate BI/ETL/DW coolness isn't what I'm ranting about. It's more places that create endless ad hoc data silos with little to no planning and low skilled works creating things they have no idea how to use outside of a context of a single user.

VBA/IQY stupidity annoys me because it's a 5% power user type tool that is a great target for attacking the 95% who never use it.

Excel as a front end to enormous, integrated, clever data things can be very powerful. It's also rare as rocking horse shit compared to the utter nonsense that fills most businesses to the gills.

Now make it a scheduled task performed by machines, and it'll be perfect. :)

----------------

Apropos to nothing at all, Apple are copping a 1.1 billion euro fine in France:
    https://www.osnews.com/story/131518/french-competition-authority-fines-apple-1-1-billion-euro/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    BAK likes this.
  20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Excel....

[​IMG]

phrosty-boi, Fred Nurk, Hive and 5 others like this.