1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. shredder

shredder Member

elvis's Law:
    PEBKAC multiplied by unsatisfactory software design multiplied by market dominance

2. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I use a 1mb excel macro to auto format tables into company colours and fonts. It only works if the table is defined and the user uses "heading1, heading2, etc"...

What could go wrong?

Fite me.

phrosty-boi, elvis and NSanity like this.
  3. shredder

shredder Member

Nothing at all. Quite clever, really.

We're a charitable lot here. Helpful.

Please post your macro, allow us to optimise it for you, and then you can reinsert it back into the business, for maximum acclaim from your bosses.

Help me, help you.

elvis likes this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

so how long until the internet grinds to a halt during business hours when most folk are "Working" from home with a netflix stream or four running in the background?

I know its not NBN's fault, moreso cheap shit ISP's providing cheap shit pipes, but its bound to happen. And i'm not talking because business has all their netflix stream's going through their corporate pipe, i'm talking proper split tunnel setups, but ISP's at the other end crumbling during business hours due to insufficient bandwidth.

5. chip

chip Member

I'd be surprised if this is even as bad as the typical evening peak time congestion. It might change when the schools shut down.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Actually bothered to read some of the corporate emails this morning. All staff who can work remotely are encouraged to do so for the next 2 weeks, but speak to your manager about whether you can or not.. um.. ok? Also if you do work from home, please complete this declaration form. :tired:

[​IMG]

7. millsy

millsy Member

Declaration of remote working is pretty common practice

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and keep my eyes rolled into the back of my head regardless..

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Everyone knows schools shutting down will mean all those little shits playing Fortnite instead of doing remote work. Parents will get a taste of what teachers put up with add they try to juggle work and their little darlings at the same time, most likely just opting for electronic babysitters instead.

The whole thing is going to be hilarious. But yeah, I expect even worse than school-holidays internet levels.

10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

But unlike teachers, parents can beat their children into silence.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

They can, and should, but don't. Shitty kids are frequently due to shitty parents.

In other news, I fire up my favourite Twitch show today - the Old Timey Computer Show, and fuck me if they aren't showing how to use Macros in Excel on Mac. FUCK.

https://www.twitch.tv/oldtimeycomputershow

Fred Nurk and wazza like this.
  12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

A new floppy disk that holds 10mb at comdex! Technology is really getting away from me. Who needs that much storage?

elvis likes this.
  13. chip

chip Member

hah that guy with the beard is Gary Kildall

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

40% of executives are using a computer at least 7 hours a week! Although of those, 55% are choosing to use a PC at home, and not mainframe terminals in the office.

15. bcann

bcann Member

Just got a response from ABB, they said daytime peaks have increased 25%, from 200Gbit to 250Gbit, but is still short of evening peak of 450Gbit. and this is with fairly minimal folk working from home, lets just wait till it schoolkid holidays and a mass work from home....

16. connico

connico Member

I just helped some of my executive colleagues break the internet for games when they are working from home... looks like the television and not even netflix is going to work when these parents work from home ahahaha

I did say to them, why the fuck are you on 25/5 you earn more then me you fucking retards...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Well I've been doing this WFH thing for a decade, and it's normal for me to have Twitch or YouTube going in the background all day.

My wife runs her business about 50/50 home/onsite, and likewise relies heavily on cloudy tools and streams music from time to time.

But my home Internet was always designed for an "always online" family. Everyone's got cloud accounts, steaming media, kids online gaming, phone backups and the rest.

18. bcann

bcann Member

Yeah but i'm guessing your not on a 12/1 or 25/5 like the vast majority of people who complain their internet sucks.

elvis likes this.
  19. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm "on the road" all the time (maybe get into the office weekly), company is well set up for remote working.

My customers however...

20. connico

connico Member

Do you have dual home 100/40 links? :p