1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Was on Optus cable for quite a while. Was advertised at 100/2 but in reality was closer to 20/2 real world.

Got NBN (HFC) the split second it was available. On 100/40 for the last year-ish and life is grand.

Heh, eons ago I used to have two 56K dialup connections that I'd team into a Linux firewall. Good times.

If AussieBroadBand offered faster than 100/40 in my area I'd probably take it (I have a mate on the far southside with 200/100 and he loves it).

I hear they're considering offering higher down but lower up speeds, which I probably wouldn't consider. With all the uploading we do (cloud backups, remote links with lots of bidirectional traffic, etc) I wouldn't go backwards in my upload speeds.

The 2:1 down/up ratio works pretty nicely for us.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. cvidler

cvidler Member

That's NBN's thinking, all the RSPs won't get much of a choice on the matter.

another forward thinking plan from the government.

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah it shits me that we're finally getting closer to symmetric links which understands how much uploading the average person is doing now in a cloudy world, and then all of a sudden we want to go backwards again.

They understand that video conferencing sends video in BOTH directions, right? Guys? Right?

4. connico

connico Member

My work has 500/500 for 30 staff I asked vocus if they would offer it to me at home lol

elvis likes this.
  5. bcann

bcann Member

Yeah when we moved house specifically in gosford to get fibre NBN, there may or may not exist a photo of me hugging the FSAM that was across the road from our house when we finally got fibre.

elvis likes this.
  6. NSanity

NSanity Member

why bother - just get 250/100. Stream Blurays to your hotel like it ain't no thang.

elvis likes this.
  7. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I got on to 100/40 a few years ago, and I have never had a speed or reliability issue for anything at all that I could point my finger at. Multiple 1080/1440p streams running, hours of YouTube viewing, wife streams kids radio 12 hours a day, auto rss download of torrents that just show up in plex minutes after getting posted.

There has never been a thought of, I can't do XX because of our internet, it gets less thought than the electrical and water supply does (who are shutting off power in the street all day next Monday).

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

Still most home usage is predominantly asymmetric.

Unless a 'netflix' type provider starts sharing content via P2P instead of CDNs in the future.

9. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

We started on a 50/20 plan when we first got NBN and that was perfectly fine for a couple of years until my youngest started watching you tube and Netflix and it became a little chunky.
    100/40 has been going gangbusters for 3-4 years now.
    Which helps when my eldest is playing Roblox while simultaneously watching you tube, listening to Spotify and face timing with her friend.
    Talk about Mukti tasking

10. caspian

caspian Member

then don't.... the existing speed tiers will still be available, the new ones (100/20, 250/25 and 1000/50) are specifically there as a discounted option for Joe Average user who wants more download, but doesn't want to pay for more upload.

I'm currently looking at about 15Tbps of download traffic, upload is a drop in that bucket in comparison. I'm currently using a 100/5 link and it's more than adequate.

11. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

I'm in that same special bucket, and i'd swap my 100/5 for a 50/20 in a flash.

I have so much stuff i'd like to sync to the cloud but the rate of change outstrips my ability to upload it. And that's not to mention the inability to stream so much as a decent bitrate 1080p stream while maintaining some semblance of a "normal" internet experience.

I keep hearing rumours of "new plans" or "NBN is taking this over 'soon'", but nothing ever changes.

12. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I'm one of those weirdos who ponied up the $ to have a second HFC connection installed, most expensive HFC tap I've ever seen :p

It's kinda fun playing with different hardware to see how it can handle dual uplinks and shunting non-essential traffic over the cheaper (read: more over-subscribed ISP) is a handy thing to do.

Given how easy it is with HFC and FTTP I'm surprised not more people do it.

13. caspian

caspian Member

I would too, because I do use a fair bit of upstream bandwidth with NAS backups and video uploads. I don't need 100 down, but to quote from Lock Stock &2SM - "the light is on and burning brightly for the masses". it's been repeatedly demonstrated that the Australian consumer votes with their wallet now with zero regard for the future.

1 May unless current social issues intervene.

14. millsy

millsy Member

For me having rapid burst speed on tap is very useful for my habits, less so than raw data limits.

I'm stuck on 50 unfortunately :( Which is sad when i'm still lucky to have that!

15. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Oh man, please tell me you can share some details.
    I don't care if it gets delayed, just knowing that there is a definitive end in sight would be a massive relief (and may help reduce my hardware at home).

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Point blank, I don't really care what "most people" do. I know what I want, and how my business and household work. My fear is that no plans will be on offer to accommodate that because of the mindless hoards.

It's like folks who insist tablets are are a replacement for computers. Same argument - I don't care if 90% of people consume and never produce. I know what I need to do.

Same again. 100/5 would cripple my ability to work remotely. More than glad it satisfies your needs. It's not for me.

100/40 works adequately for me currently. I'd love more in both directions, but it's all I can get for now.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

agree entirely, but commercial pressures dictate the majority win.

However, don't know why there can't be both plans for those that want to be cheap, and those that know what we want and are happy to pay for it - without having to go to a business plan and stump up the extra $ for an SLA we don't really need.

It's not like someone has to make a physical change to your connection to change from a 100/5 to a 100/40. it's all automated shuffling numbers around. why can't I get 100/50 if I wanted?

artificial limitations put in place.

18. connico

connico Member

Understand where you're coming from mate but I work from home a fair bit and 5mbit won't cut it for me..

Interestingly enough my neighbour comes over sometimes to ask for guest access to my wifi for his daughter who is studying media arts. Just last night he asked again to access my internet for his daughter because she needs to upload a large media file for an assignment since macquarie suspended face to face classes. He needs to ask because all wifi access to my network needs approval from me before gaining internet or network access (yeah im that guy lol)

Anyways the guys an executive, so work pays for his home office internet connection and he won't pay the difference to upgrade the link so its usable lol. I think his on 25/5 with a a shit vendor... lol

Anyways I feel sorry for the kid so I let her have access when ever she asks... but yeah..

- Tony Abbott

19. Hive

Hive Member

Be sure to record all this work from home time for tax purposes. Don't leave any tax moneys on the table as the government is only going to waste it anyway.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Indeed. That's exactly why every industry on planet Earth is suffering enormous supply chain issues right now.

Humans are terrible for humans.

NSanity likes this.