Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm doing 90% screen sharing, 10% actual video-from-my-camera.

(That's when I'm not doing GNU Screen session sharing)

2. juz88

juz88 Member

always thought OCS was the best not sure why MS got rid of it for crappy skype

3. chip

chip Member

mentioning it a couple of years ago was a surefire way of summoning that vendor's social media people into a thread. I suspect they gave up on OCAU due to us being mostly misanthropic sperglords...

FWIW I'm paying the bills ATM by doing a bunch of MS stuff, including Teams + Direct Routing work right now

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

whats the big deal with Zoom anyway, and if your business is already borged by the O365 borg then why not just use free teams. There's also plenty of other competitors - bluejeans, webex, UCaaS startup XYZ etc. so why does Zoom have all the buzz?

Disclaimer: have used bluejeans, webex and teams extensively, but for some reason none of my clients use zoom. Ironically however I have a vendor session tomorrow with... zoom. I'm betting its earth shattering /s

(I did google it briefly and it seems like a bunch of minor 'nice to have' features combined with OMG its so easy.... um ok webex is horrific to use but its pretty easy to get going with bluejeans or Teams/S4B. I'm not sure if teams just can't handle dial-ins yet or that feature has yet to be migrated from s4B or my org hasn't implemented it but you can bet its coming or is possible)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I haven't the foggiest idea. People who struggle to adapt to new things just seem to really like it. As a person who adapts easily I don't see how it's different...all of them are mostly the same and just suck in slightly different ways.

elvis likes this.
  6. ewok85

ewok85 Member

My issue with everything else is that I have trouble getting it to work sometimes - and I'm an IT guy. If I have trouble a user is completed stuffed.

SfB (especially old on-prem installs) and occasionally Webex require me to install plugins and general fuck around, and in longer calls with many people and all sorts of content shares they'll often crap out and cause issues like not being able to unmute, choppy or completely stalled video or content, and the client app just straight up crashing or dying.

I've never seen Zoom do that, and that's including supporting 200+ Zoom Rooms and watching twice-weekly 100+ video participant all hands meetings.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zoom doesn't work in a browser, right?

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That to me sounds like they nailed the UX. If noobs can get in there and it 'just works' then they've been very successful. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't get credit where it's due for managing that. If I'm not fielding calls asking how to set up voicemail because it's hidden behind some meaningless icon in the dial pad page (I'm looking at you S4B), or how to record external calls because you need to drag a dummy contact in to convert the call into a conference before it can be recorded (again.. S4B), then I'm a happy camper.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I don't think anyone's arguing against that. We're just asking why we should pay squillions for something we already have, especially if our users aren't "noobs".

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Maybe yours are unicorns but.. lets face it most users people in here are managing are noobs.

My company will be going through this pretty soon. We're currently all in on o365 with S4B, but our parent company is in the googleverse. They don't use google for telephony though and have no interest in doing so, I don't know why. So there's some sort of religious holy war going on between those who want to stay with gsuite and those who want to migrate to o365. If they end up staying with google, they intend to put in a 3rd party softphone. Pretty sure zoom and ring central are on the table at the moment, I haven't got to play with either yet.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

If being able to click the button that looks like a camera makes someone "a unicorn", I'm done with this industry for good.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I work for a software company. None of us should be noobs - the CEO started as the sole programmer 23 years ago, the director of sales started out working L1 helpdesk around the same time, etc etc.

And yet I got an email yesterday that basically said "please make sure to send anything important by email because Slack can be too hard"

13. wazza

wazza Member

We use WebEx and the primary reason we decided to go with WebEx (a few years back, so the market likely has changed) was ease of use. Our primary meeting rooms all have the Cisco VC units with the connected tablet (another bonus: as it won't work without being connected to the cisco unit it hasn't grown legs and walked away like an iPad or Android tablet would have) so it's a case of clicking your office name if you're hosting, or the name of the office that is hosting to start the conference - and remote users can just be sent a link that either launches in-browser or runs the webex client if you have it and joins the meeting.
    We are considering a change likely to zoom, but it will have to meet the same ease of use (and be able to re-use the same equipment, which zoom seems able to do) for us to change.

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

10 years. 10 years left on my mortgage*, and I'm fucking done.

* Assuming I survive this fucking virus, either in terms of health or finances.

miicah likes this.
  16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

The emails from HR and senior management have started to come through for us, exec pay cuts, staff forced leave, 'requests' to take unpaid leave where no annual or long service leave exists etc. It's fun being in an industry where this crisis has lead to massive increase in demand for our services but at the same time is bringing the company to its knees financially.

17. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Correct, it requires a download and I think an installation.

I haven't had a chance to play with Zoom Phone, but looking at the install at my client I haven't had a good time. Doesn't seem to support call translation, or at least is a pain to get working.

We had a difficult issue where no matter what number we called, from one room it would always connect to some poor Spanish speaking lady somewhere in the world who really wasn't impressed by our constant test calls.

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. ;)

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

That seems a little contrary to
    No? In-browser video streaming is decade-old tech now. Why don't Zoom make it even easier and dump the whole "fat binary required, admin rights required" thing?

Dude I'll be running so fast that door won't have a chance. All you'll see is an elvis-shaped puff of smoke and a spinning chair, literally the second my balance owed hits $0.00.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Not sure where you live in briz vegas but if you have 50% equity then down size to Toowoomba region (example) median house price $290K, big enough economy to find some form of employment.