1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. tobes

tobes Member

You can run Zoom in a browser they just don't make it an obvious option.

Zoom seems create the least friction when interacting with Other Businesses and that's perhaps why it's popular.

2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'm confused, shouldn't increase in demand = increase in revenue?

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Once the mortgage is paid I'm being a kept man. The wife's side of the business is doing well, and I suspect she'll work forever because she genuinely loves helping her clients.

I, on the other hand, will dedicated my twilight years to the things I care about, which also happen to be things that have zero commercial value - education, and digital preservation.

--------------------

Unrelated, doing random SPF/DKIM testing for a few domains I own. Looks like anything going to state government addresses has substantial fiddling along the way, and all signatures are marked as failed by the time they reach the end user.

So.... I guess all this hard work we're doing to be good net citizens and not be spammy is just moot because people just don't follow RFCs? Cool.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  4. chook

chook Member

Coronavirus mutates into Zoom and then Zoom mutates into Nutanix.

Talk to your kids about Nutanix before someone else does.

person and elvis like this.
  5. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

It is optional, and off by default.

upload_2020-3-27_13-18-53.png

6. chip

chip Member

7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I thought the done thing in this thread was to shit on Nutanix. I remember saying it was cool, but then getting tarred and feathered by the cooler kids.

Also zoom is revving my CPU like a mofo. We can stream 4k HEVC on low single W ARM processors but Win32 on Intel, no........
    Also fuck their chat. seriously its so fucked

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  8. shredder

shredder Member

Look, it has a much cooler catchier name than the competition ok, so it's captured the public imagination. And in these lockdowns, people gotta buy somethin'.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

It was cool for a little while, but now Hypercovergence is a commodity.

Mostly I was shitting on Josh Odgers for getting into internet arguments, while not letting anyone benchmark fairly, and for magically appearing anywhere someone mention Nutanix in a bad light.

elvis likes this.
  10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Just caught a snippet on the news 'Australians asked to ration their internet use to keep the network functional'. Something something better faster sooner.

11. Rass

Rass Member

can't be repeated enough.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

ACCC says its illegal to take more for a service and not provide it.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

I heard the same. But I dunno.. I'm still getting 90-95% speeds out of both up and down at peak on my home 100/40.

I noticed Teams video has been a bit choppy late in the week. Hangouts has been rock solid here (Google had a hiccup on the US East coast overnight, but no dramas elsewhere that I've heard of).

Let's see how next week goes with all the Qld school kids at home.

14. chip

chip Member

try zoom, it's hype

15. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I install Zoom once on a PC and that's it - meetings just open. I haven't had a Skype/Lync meeting work once without having to first download and run an executable, and with Webex/Bluejeans/etc it's hit or miss if it'll work or not with whatever is currently on the PC.

I think the fat binary is so you get a consistant, full experience each time. They do things that wouldn't be permitted in a browser and by being installed you aren't having to approve this or allow that each time which we all know is hard for users because apparently reading is hard.

I had a meeting today to discuss a potential 8-figure deal using the clients Google Meet - video was blurry to the point where you couldn't read the text being presented, and the audio was choppy and distorted. After that call my team all jumped on Zoom and we had fun seeing who could come up with the best virtual background and we had zero issues.

My favorite reason to use Zoom is that its surprisingly good on very poor connections - great for joining a meeting from a moving train that has terrible reception and still being able to hear everything.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Welp.. I'm sitting in an office that's being decommissioned, the only user on a 100/40 nbn link through telstra, getting 2mbps down and 0.4mbps up. Thankfully spotify is working fine.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Govt announced that "you can chat to your doctor over Face Time".

Quick OCAU tell them about how awesome Zoom meeting rooms are!

https://m.xkcd.com/1810/

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I can't wait for the new societal advances coming out of this. Who would have thought that remote things could be used, or that in some circumstances the economy can't consist solely of people selling coffees, houses and personal training to each other.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Repeating what I said elsewhere: this will all be forgotten exactly 12 months after the last case.

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Not this time, because we'll still be in recession.