1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There's nothing stopping you drinking piss in your back yard. My hammock on my back deck is my happy place. Wired in some external speakers years ago. Drinking my favourite Japanese beer or local/Kiwi Pinot Noir, peering out at the stars over the mountains behind me listening to the "Hotline Miami" and "Super Metroid" soundtracks. Magic.

------------------------------------------------

In other news, I've been laughing at the astounding lengths bureaucracy will go to to slow down progress, even in the midst of chaos.

My daughter goes to a public school. They've got a nice, sensible BYOD policy with clear guidelines on supported gear (*grumble* forcing me to buy Windows 10 *grumble*). The kids log in to O365 with their .edu.au address and get a free copy of everything. Not bad.

It's all "work from home" this week for Queensland schools, so last night I fired up Microsoft Teams on the daughter's laptop to test it out. Nope, "blocked by administrator". You've got to be kidding. Ask my daughter, and she says "oh yeah, my teachers are all using Google classroom and gave us their personal gmail accounts to use". Great job Education Queensland! You've just discovered "Shadow IT".

Meanwhile my .gov.au client has Teams, except you can't make a new "Team". Normally just click the big "+" button and create one. Simple right? No. Here, you have to download a read-only form, PRINT it, fill it out, SCAN it, EMAIL it, wait 2 business days, and you'll have your Team created on your behalf. I mean, fuck, can't trust those pesky workers to build effective communication channels now, can we? Nah, better lock that shit down.

No advancement found here. Education and Government still can't work out how to get out of the way and let people work.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    millsy likes this.
  2. connico

connico Member

Anyone using MS Teams and Cisco Webex integration via CVI yet?

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

We can't trust them to meet are the legislated record keeping requirements.

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Don't forget... LOL
    wash_hands.png

elvis likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm looking after folks who meet on Slack and Zoom despite having very expensive tools rolled out for them. Simply because the expensive tools are encumbered by artificial bureaucracy. How's the record keeping there?

Shadow IT is entirely avoidable if you work WITH your staff instead of AGAINST them.

6. Rass

Rass Member

Serious question: Do you know exactly what must be recorded? I worked for government years ago, and am aware that a bunch of stuff needs to be kept, but I don't remember ever actually seeing references to what needed to be kept.

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

It's artificial bureaucracy, sure. But its a still (regrettably) a requirement of the job.

If the requirement weren't there, the expensive tools would be easier to use.

You can have a transparent, mostly honest public service, that is horribly inefficent.
    Or you can have a efficient public service, that is even more corrupt that what we have now, I don't think there is a happy medium here, because people are shitcunts.

https://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/STATE RECORDS ACT 1997/CURRENT/1997.8.AUTH.PDF

for us here in SA :), YMMV, talk to your friendly corporate governance officer :)

chook and Rass like this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

Back in the day - before my time (stories from my parents). They had people specifically to look after the filing of corporate records - they knew the rules inside out and backwards.

When they brought in DRM, and got rid of those people, I certainly never got any training or doco in what was required for records keeping or not. at one stage there was a me must keep absolutely everything. So I dutifully uploaded every software image I created, ~700MB worth every other week, they told me to stop after a few months.

9. power

power Member

unfortunately most users are breaching licensing terms and the business can be held accountable - many of this stuff is pushed in front of boards that say no to the costs.

10. connico

connico Member

lol record keeping for what? :p lol

11. millsy

millsy Member

Some schools haven't enabled teams at all.

Or they have not given students skype for business and they just have normal skype which doesn't interact.

Or teachers from the paleolithic aren't using new tools (fire them all, fire fire fire).

Or

Or

It's a cluster

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

My daughter's mates have created personal Skype accounts and are doing homework together over that. (Yeah there's a lot of shit-talking too, but they're working amongst it).

So thus far, neither the teachers nor the students are using the expensive tools provided, because the expensive tools have been artificially clamped down to the point of uselessness.

Prevention is better than cure, and that could have been prevented. Quite trivially so.

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Because "Won't somebody think of the children"

Online everything. No restrictions, Pedos grooming everywhere.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

The .edu.au O365 account is locked down to .edu.au addresses only. The official channels would be safe, even if opened up.

The "work around" of gmail.com and outlook.com addresses are wide open. The work around is entirely unsafe, and open to abuse.

If the goal is safety, they've fucked that up too by pushing children to external services. If you run through the "Shadow IT" wikipedia page, we're just ticking all the boxes there - unsatisfactory local services, people go elsewhere, high risk due to having no safety nets, etc, etc.

I know *why* this is happening. It's happening because people who have no fucking idea are running the show. Same as most things in this thread.

millsy likes this.
  15. power

power Member

by boards saying yes, agreed.

just don't be so quick to blame IT for Shadow IT.

16. millsy

millsy Member

Pretty much nailed it there.

I have heard rumours of teachers not being able to do video chats with students without parents present too. It's a mess

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm sure I'll stand up during a video conference, and forget I'm not wearing any pants.

Hive and Pepito like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

IT have two roles.

1) Do what the fuck you're told

2) Advise. Which includes feeding back on bad ideas, even when you're doing what the fuck you're told.

A lot of IT (especially in big orgs) are excellent at 1 and shithouse at 2. Yes, the board/execs/owners have ultimate power. But if you're not telling them that their shitty ideas are going to lead to Shadow IT, you're not doing your job. And yes, that's an art in itself - subtlety, diplomacy, effective communication - these are all really fucking hard. Especially to execs who only care about the bottom line and nothing else. But part of that art is putting it in their language. Explain that users bypassing formalised tools WILL hurt the bottom line. Show examples from other large orgs where it caused all sorts of terrible shit. Demonstrate that it's easy (read: cheap) to open things up just a little and keeping users in their lanes in a way that fucks the company over less than just locking everything down.

And yes, despite all your best efforts, you can still get shot down. Get your advice and the reply in writing. But don't give up on the fight. It's everyone's paycheque, yours included, that takes a beating if management make stupid decisions and users work around them. You are more than just a blunt instrument.

NSanity likes this.
  19. Pepito

Pepito Member

Customer called a few minutes ago coz he just got a "Replace printer drum" message on his laser printer so wanted to know what that means :rolleyes:

20. power

power Member

nah, they tend to ask for things you give them a quote and they say no.

most of the disconnect is because they see other people using "free stuff" and want in on that, but then fail to realise that as a business, shit that is free for private use is not free for them.