1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. millsy

millsy Member

huh weird, was sending UNC file paths to a zoom chat and the client was trying to browse to them. Could use it to snarf hashes.

2. power

power Member

as long as they are making money why would they care? more to the point - why start now!?

3. millsy

millsy Member

New tweet up here:
    https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1245133371262619654

4. melatonin

melatonin Member

I thought this was done because there can be a cost for the subscription and not the app itself.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

<RANT>
    So most of my projects have been put on ice this week till COVID-19 is over, not sure why manglement decided this as they all have approved budget for this financial year and everyone works remote but blanket policy makers can't think outside boxes.

So because I'm responsible ( :lol: who am I kidding) and have money in the bank and assets but my income has now 90% declined this week, the gubermint bailout is only for financially irresponsible people not all the peoples, but if I employed people I could get $1500/fortnight free moneys, but sole trading responsibly makes me illegible for free moneys, oh and by the way please pay tax!

So much for helping everyone.

</RANT>

PS - US trying to ban encryption while everyone worries about COVID-19
    https://blog.privacytools.io/us-government-wages-war-on-encryption/
    https://www.wired.com/story/earn-it-act-sneak-attack-on-encryption/
    https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2020/03/the_earn-it_act.html

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    power likes this.
  6. melatonin

melatonin Member

I'm a soul trader, as far as I can tell you are eligible as long as you can prove your income has dropped.

Its not free money, it's a wage for your employees if you cant pay them, big difference.

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yeah I get that, but it is also available to the sole-trader as income supplement, like a tradie living payment to payment.

8. bcann

bcann Member

Sorry couldn't resist.

How much are Souls going for nowadays, and is there a market for resale of a used soul?

Given i only have a sole soul, how much is the valuation of it after 40 years in IT? Probably not much i imagine.

EvilGenius and melatonin like this.
  9. melatonin

melatonin Member

So how come you can't get it?

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

24 months operating capital, rent/elec/broadband/insurances etc...

melatonin likes this.
  11. tensop

tensop Member

you know whats worse in edumacation? gubbermint attempts at idP/AD being forced on dem schools

12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

income dropping 30% is fuck all. should have made it 50% or more. throwing money at companies that dont need it, and creating weird holes in the logic. plenty of businesses have 0 income now. focus those!

13. power

power Member

i disagree, the 0% companies already have mechanisms in place and aren't going to keep staff even with job keeper. the 30% companies are likely to be healthier and this is to protect their staff.

14. miicah

miicah Member

All this has shown me is that even though they are supposed to be the "digital generation" kids (grade 7-12) have no fucking clue how to use digital resources.

If it's not an app and everything is remembered for you, they are fucked.

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, the idea of "digital natives" has turned out to be a complete fiction. Which is obvious in retrospect - you grew up in a world where cars (woo, car analogy!) were ubiquitous but you still had to learn to drive one and it didn't give you a head start on being a mechanic.

looktall likes this.
  16. chook

chook Member

For Queensland where Rass is located:

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-2002-011

The worst part of working from home is that you need pants to go to the pants shop. Unfair. :(

ABC Article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...ads-soar-but-fbi-warns-security-flaw/12113802

Rass likes this.
  17. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

18. Rass

Rass Member

Cheers,

It's interesting looking at what a record is and what might fall under the purview of a record, vs what is getting recorded.

I remember being in the government and the chat app that was used internally had no recording or logging, whereas things like slack can be set to log.

How to determine what needs to be kept? does the convo between a couple of bros about a hectic pissup they went to on the weekend count?
    What about a Skype video conference? Are those being recorded? Slack video? Teams?

That's a lot of data. There's also a lot of conversations which are had which probably should be recorded, but don't get recorded. I used to type up memcons (memorandum of conversations) and send them if it was something pretty important, and by gods, they did save some people's bacon at times.

Eh..

I don't want to see us going back to Joh B-P days, but is it going too far?

19. chook

chook Member

Recordkeeping is serious business (for real) and has stiff penalties for failure to comply. You are dead right in terms of the video conferencing, IM's, etc. Most organisations just try to pretend they don't exist. Queensland State Archives (QSA) are the agency responsible for this in Queensland. Every state has an Act and an Agency then you have the Federal stuff.

If you have Recordkeeping obligations then you really, really should have an Information Management team who are responsible. Often they will be in IT which I get but there is a lot of cross over with compliance/risk/governance. That, realistically, is where they belong but there is history. In Qld we are quite behind in terms of the Act. Victoria is the gold standard followed by SA.

The way I often differentiate between Recordkeeping and Information Management is that Recordkeeping is a compliance activity that most of the business does not care about. Where this falls down is that Principle 6 of IS40 (which has been replaced but the concept still applies) has essentially it the responsibility of the individual worker to use the system provided for Recordkeeping and then they are good. If they don't then they carry the risk themselves. In Queensland each record you destroy, or allow to be destroyed, is AUD18,500 and two years in prison.

Information Management is a business enabler that turns information into an actual asset. Information asset custodianship is detailed in IS44. Businesses make decisions based on information and they run their business based on those decisions. Getting people to understand it is an actual asset like the pipes and roads and physical assets can be hard, depending on what the agency does.

As to what constitutes a record, that can vary which is why you have Recordkeeping professionals looking after sentencing and disposition.

This is my industry so I am happy to give you some advice via PM without trying to sell you anything.

20. scips

scips Member

Hardware is like TP right now, and azure in aus is at capacity......yay

mooboyj, bcann, elvis and 1 other person like this.