1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Pretty much. Even units divisible by 1000 would be nice, but shit, for the sake of legacy and not freaking the oldies out make it all UTC/Zulu and be done with it.

Again, I'm finding it somewhat hilarious that a generation of people are discovering that working from home means starting and stopping based on more pressing reasons than "follow the herd". And again, I'm sure it'll all be forgotten once this is all over and we go back to being good peak hour taking open plan dwelling sheep.

bcann and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

heaven forbid you be judged on your actual output and not your attendance around the water cooler! Wonder what the professional time wasters going to do now that the focus will be on actual output and not seen to be effort?

bcann likes this.
  3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Stress.

Isn't it nice, imagining those people stressing?

4. wazza

wazza Member

Only an amateur time waster would be worried about this, the professional ones have the process down to a fine art, hell WFH may even make them more efficient at wasting time - they already have the whole "blame others for why you didn't deliver" shit which seems to work far more often than it should, but now they have more external factors to blame (some of which, if they do it the right way will be hard to disprove) - my internet or power went out (prove otherwise), VPN stopped working (prove they didn't just click disconnect), computer wouldn't power on etc. They could also give the illusion of working by scheduling emails to send at a specific time especially out of hours to make them look like a more dedicated worker - doesn't really work when you're in the office as people will notice you weren't in at that time, but WFH hides this.

I'd put money on some of the people I know to be timewasters at work to use some of the above at least a few times (and I've already seen three of the above from different people, all in the same department!) - will be the same people who always seem to have more IT issues when they have a deadline they're unable to meet.

PabloEscobar and bcann like this.
  5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Never underestimate the effort people will put in to getting out of doing their job.

6. wazza

wazza Member

Absolutely, in some cases I think that it would be much easier and less stressful on them to just do their job than try to get out of it, but then I remember they really only know how to do one of those things....

7. scips

scips Member

Acquired 10x matching devices with matching docks and matching accessories, and stocked up for a week of lock-in mode.
    Apocalypse is my bitch, bring on the corona zombie virus mutation

bcann likes this.
  8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Try to get ur own hardware when your ops staff is under the pump and doesn't want to get the corona by going outside and line up with provisioning network capacity, racks etc. vs wait for cloud megacorp to do it. Pick your poison, neither is entirely within your control

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

All major cloud providers make the suppliers deliver to them and have capacity expansion planned 1-2 years in advance, and if they want supplier to supply more then supplier will pull from wholesale production to provide as cloud contracts = more % of profit than wholesale to small supplier and have less overhead.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Are you me.

wazza likes this.
  11. Rass

Rass Member

It's the ultimate shadow IT. Half of my current role is essentially creating "best practice" shadow IT because what's offered directly from IT is either garbage or takes 3 months to do something simple. Or it requires a project code for operational work.

12. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Official lockdown announced from tomorrow in Japan - and comes the requests to buy webcams and headsets... which have been sold out for a while now...

elvis likes this.
  13. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

*laughs in profit margin*

Hive likes this.
  14. tensop

tensop Member

[​IMG]

EvilGenius likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

16. millsy

millsy Member

17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Those almost certainly say more about you than the site you're seeing them on...

18. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I was going to comment similarly but I checked and they're not sponsored ads, they're actually articles from the site.

19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Had a similar thought, then checked. Nope. Static links, same for everyone.

20. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Dear me you're right, they were such garbage I was processing them as Taboola ads rather than article links...