1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. millsy

millsy Member

:D I have called out people before on the 'says more about you than me' thing, wasn't gonna fall for it myself! Lol.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

For sure, like so many sites LifeHacker went from "interesting sciencey things" to "utter middle-of-the-bellcurve trash" in a very short amount of time.

But as a litmus test for the masses, it's fascinating to see people revelling in tips to be less productive.

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Oh I dunno.. are you necessarily automatically being less productive not attending a meeting? I mean.. if it's a meeting where you could get away with 'attending' with a looped video of yourself, was your presence really required? Was your time really being used in the most effective manner possible?

bcann and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  4. shredder

shredder Member

Passive-aggressive automation.

cvidler likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

That comes down to growing a pair and clicking "no" on the meeting invite.

* If there's a meeting with no agenda, I don't attend
    * If there's a meeting with an agenda and I'm not required to contribute, I won't attend
    * If the meeting is informational only (one way comms), I won't attend and I'll read the minutes

I'm quite open about this. If everyone did it, there'd be 10% as many meetings.

millsy and bcann like this.
  6. shredder

shredder Member

What a programming language that would be!

Select * from Trumpvoters

If everyone(sucks) then educate(appropriately)

Randomize Clothing();

to name just a few useful everyday functions.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  7. bcann

bcann Member

I wish i had this choice and discretion. I work for a place that is meetings based for the most banal shit. I attend every meeting with my cup that say " I Survived another meeting that should've been an email" And if i dare say no, i get an email back saying i have to attend, then spend the next hour of my life with my head on the table practically.

8. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

It's Trump v Biden.
    The politics of failure have failed and this skin suit is itchy.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Who is pushing this mandatory attendance? Your boss? Someone else? And what's their motivation to do so?

bcann likes this.
  10. Rass

Rass Member

bcann - this is a good point. one of the things which needs to be understood is the cost of you attending a meeting. So, not only your time in the meeting, but the time preparing and time after getting back into the swing. I always budget at least 45 minutes extra in meetings because of that. A meeting which is required will generally need everyone to do some pre-reading to get everyone in the same ball park, as well as agendas being set and some discussion points. After, you've got to make sure the decisions made are noted down, actions are turned into jobs in whatever system is in use etc, and then you've got to switch to your usual task.

If they want a meeting, that's great, but it needs to be worth more than X hours of your time doing your usual job. This is something I've had to fight a few times in large orgs where I've had like three different stand-ups a day, plus two different status meetings a week, a team meeting etc etc .. so that's like three to four hours a day of meetings, with three and a half for actual work.

I put together metrics around this and what it was costing projects and how it was affecting SLAs, and it changed a few senior leader's attitudes. But meetings for meetings sakes is a real serious problem in a lot of places.

qwertylesh, bcann and elvis like this.
  11. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

GumbyNoTalent and Rass like this.
  12. chip

chip Member

I was thinking more along the lines of hand weaving magnetic core memory like so:

13. Rass

Rass Member

My god, that is gorgeous! A absolutely adore old tech, the craftmanship and people re-jigging stuff like this.

14. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I watched the video last night and thought it had to be shared here.

15. bcann

bcann Member

My boss, and the reason is always the same "Because you might learn something in this meeting"... well if the damn company could communicate worth a damn, i wouldn't have to learn things through osmosis in meetings i have no need to be in. The issue is, these are meeting driven people, and the company is a people focused business (I know i vomited in my mouth saying that), we make lots of completely useless decisions around what people want, and not what they need, so thus lots of time gets chewed up catering for peoples wants, not what they need and thus every few months we wind u having to unwind shit or change it because another person has another want, that now differs from the last persons want, and thus the circle of life continues.

Numbers and stats literally mean very little here, like i said were "People Focused" here, so peoples momentary wants are catered for, and given how often we change people, its like a lazy susan at an all you can eat buffet.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

As above, then your boss needs to weigh up the dot product of the probability of what you'll learn with the value of that information, and compare that to the productive time lost in your day.

Beyond that, meeting minutes serve just as adequate a learning platform for people who are capable of learning via reading (which most IT types are, because we do it all day long). Better than that, most of us can read an hour long meeting's minutes in about 5 minutes. Much more efficient than sitting in an hour long meeting.

A good boss knows how their staff best respond to information. A bad boss projects on to people and assumes that, just because they have a lizard-brain need to talk verbally and face to face with others to gain knowledge, that everyone is exactly the same as them.

Perhaps a subtle, gentle, and very politically correct chat with your boss about the value of endless meetings is in order?

17. millsy

millsy Member

For the meetings where you 'might learn something' I 'might hear something'.

But i'll turn down anything I don't feel is worth the time, if it's an 'I might hear somthing' meeting that's at my own discretion.

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

19. Rass

Rass Member

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Sorted.