Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Rass

Rass Member

With the built in modem, you are!

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

3/4 slot on the side

3. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

Two decades ago, when I used to smoke, the smoking shed was the place that all the real business-to-IT-dept knowledge transfer took place, and this was in a multi-billion dollar multinational.

Maybe meetings replace the smoking shed in today's health conscious world.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

I never smoked, but did attend, smoking was the great equalised, CEO or janitor, they all had to go congregate outside for a smoke. lots of business happened.

j3ll0 likes this.
  5. NSanity

NSanity Member

Maaaaaate you're in Canberra. Its all about the coffee.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This is why open area breakout rooms were invented. Same problem as open plan though: noisy as fuck and zero privacy.

Local coffee/bagel/snack place is always good for a mind break and talking to someone you work with but never make time to see or discuss random shit with.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

These days, for sure. and I happily partake in that vice. It doesn't however seem to be the great leveller that smoking is/was.

back when I first worked in Canberra, smoking was where it was at.

8. shredder

shredder Member

It would tend to be the old crusty companymen that would smoke. So if you joined them, even if you were a decades younger noob, you were peripherally in a kind of inner circle. Getting all the goss on projects and clients, stuff they wouldn't talk much about in the formal office, but which these old dudes would freely harp on about while they stood outside the front door and smoked 5 or 10 times a day. Often a big client would randomly wander up and join in the conversation too.

Aich-Kay, PabloEscobar and bcann like this.
  9. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

I stopped joining the smokers as a non-smokers years ago, and yeah, coffee isn't the same.

If I really wanted to ingratiate myself I'd become a MAMIL but fuck that.

elvis likes this.
  10. JumpingJack

JumpingJack Member

I use to like the guy. Recently he had a certain agenda that protects his investors and companies that makes him unlikable

I giggled when I saw this puff piece this morning. hey Bevan, here's a radical idea - if you need more CVC, how about you buy more? it's not like it's scarce or anything. you'll be selling more data, what entitles you to a freebie? or is it that "plans that are designed for normal conditions" mean you've been selling plans with more data than people actually use, and you're going to look pretty silly if you actually need to start supplying all of what you've been promising?​

What he's being doing recently is going on twitter/linkedin rants. Now he has taste of power and won't shutup.

What funny. You confront him on linked-in and respond with "I am not on a rant..."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  11. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I try to hammer this into my people -
    1) Meetings must always have a clear goal (close a deal, confirm a point, clearly communicate issues and progress, etc)
    2) Before they start an agenda must be decided and shared, and afterwards the minutes and action items must be shared out, or what was the point of the meeting in the first place?
    3) Attendance isn't mandatory - do the agenda and minutes right and people who can't/don't attend can keep up
    4) That papertrail is the greatest CYA tool ever created. Nothing is more satisfying than having a client go "I didn't approve this!" and then pointing to the minutes from months ago where they did approve it.

We basically only do project work so this is all fairly easy to do - open a template and fill it in meeting to meeting, email it out the next day. Tends to make everything smoother and helps get new people onboard quicker.

millsy, bcann and Rass like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I had a mate who worked at Qld Health who would just start writing peoples pay grades on the whiteboard as they walked into meetings.

Once the meeting started, he'd announce what the meeting was costing in dollars, and ask if everyone there thought that was a reasonable cost to the tax payer for what they were about to discuss.

Only took him a few months of doing that consistently to get the message across to his small area, and "meeting culture" died down. Of course, Qld Health is an enormous place, so it probably made stuff all difference across the larger org.

BAK, millsy, bcann and 2 others like this.
  13. Rass

Rass Member

That's great. I really like that. I remember I did some subjects on meetings etc when I was studying; a lot of those subjects could be distilled down to those points. The only problem is that a lot of people seem to miss the point. It's like agile in a lot of orgs, they do the ceremonies and don't understand enough of it to actually make it worth while.

I love it. Dude needs a gold medal.

I remember a few years ago, working with a guy who was absolutely certifiable. On that thin knife edge between insanity and true genius, he often dipped a bit too far into the insanity. That being said, he was a true subject matter expert who lead the field that he worked in and had so much passion for the subject that you always learnt something every time you encountered him, regardless of what your level of expertise was.

Dude didn't turn up to meetings, stand-ups, company all-ins, fireside chats etc. He was taken to task once by a long string of people as an "intervention". They wanted him to attend the meetings and said he wasn't applying himself. He unleashed.

He went to every single meeting he was invited to, took meticulous notes on everything and gave it his all in every meeting. What happened? Nothing. No further development in his field, meetings were pretty much all taken to a stand-still because he argued factually against bad decisions and did his usual passionate discussions when people mis-used or misunderstood a term in his field.

It was magnificent.

He didn't need to go to meetings after that.

BAK, bcann, colmaz and 2 others like this.
  14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The only counter I make is the following.
    1.b) No meeting is mandatory, but all decisions made at meeting are final, non-participation does not entitle you an opinion.

That has 2 purposes, rockstar employees who want imput but don't wish to discuss with others need to play ball, and manglement who think they can swan in after a planning meeting and make changes can go suck a lemon.

Also all meeting must have an agenda and a time box, being late doesn't give you the right to reopen a closed point.

bcann, DavidRa and elvis like this.
  15. bcann

bcann Member

We do all of the abave, bar meeting attendence being non compulsory. Because i work in health i liken it to the above example. Because i am part of a team that is under someone who looks after 2 teams (One being her actual team, and due to the structure of the business, the other being effectively a nursing team, full of lovely health management folk) i have to attend a meeting where it is heavily nursing issues focused, so imagine, a heavily technical guy, being in a meeting where they discuss shit such as how to be insert needles, what is the best way to talk down a dimensia patient, etc etc.... so shit whilst is nice in theory, has exactly zero relevance to my role. What also shits me (or used to, there is a new person i the top dog role there now in the nursing side) is that the nursing staff used to have a heavy say in what tech/how to do things technically, yet i bet if i ever piped up during one of their meetings and told them how to insert a needle i'd be laughed out/told to shut up.

Anyway i'm hoping all this corona virus shit will teach the company a lesson, about how many meetings are truly necessary, and how many meetings are truly all members of all teams under a certain person.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

but Karen has a iphone and put gacebook on it herself, she's just as qualified in IT as you!

Tell them, that you can hide the needle marks by going under the finger nails, or between the toes.
    ;)

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Home schooling the kiddies today, and the Education Queensland site blew up at 9:01 and is still down now.

Fantastic job load testing that one.

bcann likes this.
  18. Rass

Rass Member

Obviously a hacker attack, just like the Newstart site.

elvis likes this.
  19. power

power Member

DDoS'd.

does anyone know DOS???

Rass likes this.
  20. Rass

Rass Member

That's a unix system, like COBOL right?