1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I've been WFH for about 2 weeks (plus a week long break over Easter) and I have actually worked from home for about 3-4 full days.
    The rest of that time (not including my week off) has been going to sites to either wait for an NBN dude or to cut a site over to NBN and then of course taking care of whatever else needed taking care of while on site.
    I reckon this upcoming week will be similar.

2. tobes

tobes Member

Just been told by my employer that no offices globally will re-open before July 31st....

3. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Better to err on the side of caution - ignoring the optics of having your staff get sick, once you have people being sick your only choice is a full quarantine again, and you have the risk of losing staff.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

No official word yet, but it's trickling down through management that we'll have 50% of staff back in June, and the remaining 50% back in September.

The interesting part will be seeing how many of those offices are severely downsized or outright closed. Severe damage will be done to the business in the short term if they do. Will be interesting to see which way they jump.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

7. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Hey guys any recommendations for VPS hosting in Australia? I need to run some CPU intensive apps on windows server and EC2 is a bit too expensive for this (about 150us per month).

Looking around I can get a 4 CPU VPS in Australia for 50 to $100 au which is a big pricesaving. Anyone know a reliable provider?

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Is Lightsail beefy enough? AFAIK it's fixed monthly pricing regardless of CPU usage (double check that though, as I only run tiny things off it).

[edit] Just checked - AWS Lightsail have Server 2016, 4vCPUs, 16GB RAM, 320GB SSD, 3TB of transfer for USD$120/month, flat pricing. That's out of the Sydney DC.

If you put it in a US DC you get double the transfer (6TB instead of 3).

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

11. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Interestingly glances reports Vultr instances as AWS EC2 instances, not sure what to make of that.

13. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

VULTR looks really good, thanks guys. Weird that you would have the same specs as an EC2 for 25% of the cost, I guess amazon are charging a lot for the whole scale up orchestration thing?

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah, you pay for their APIs and mass automation. So it makes no sense if you're building one machine, watching progress bars, and "right click -> do thing" manually on everything.

But if you've got wide scale automation going, then you're doing things 1000x faster. And that will be the eventual future of this industry, and the ultimate death of all of our jobs. I cannot wait.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.vultr.com/api/
    https://www.vultr.com/apps/docker

Saltstack + private network + nginx reverse proxy / load balancer for those that don't want AWS convenience cost.

EDIT - no auto scalers at present

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah a lot of these smaller players have basic stuff like that, and it's great. Not everyone is Netflix, so they don't need that level of complexity. A basic API that can build and tear down things on demand is pretty much what 90% of places actually need (and even if they need more, many don't know it yet, so it's a worthwhile starting point).

But if you compare the complete suite of what Google Cloud or AWS offer, the sheer scale is nuts.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Reality is most 90% of web presence could be done with static site hosted on S3 bucket with a simple code pipeline to build and deploy new static content and post to associated social media, no need for a comments sections these days. Plenty of lambda / dynomodb based contact form systems.

E-commerce can be embedded web-component (react, vue etc) that simply call 3rd party api like shopify, for those that have < 20 products, landing page per product.

done didley done without a self managed server in site.

18. shredder

shredder Member

Bit short notice, but watch this thread for a 45m live general knowledge quiz hosted by Agg, starting shortly. It's a weekly thing for an unknown period.

Myst likes this.
  19. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

So..........?

20. shredder

shredder Member

I know several people in this thread who would be interested in such a thing. You're not one of them, obviously.