1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chip

chip Member

"but I've never needed internet at home before!"

I dunno, have you noticed how things have been just a little bit different these last few months? Plus you're saving more by not commuting than a fixed line connection costs anyway.

bcann likes this.
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

DA fark
    https://nullsweep.com/why-is-this-website-port-scanning-me/
    - NEW POST -
    EDIT - OH nice save dynamic DNS for getting to home hosted services.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://www.cloudflare.com/en-au/products/argo-tunnel/
    Phone home access to "media library"
    https://teams.cloudflare.com/access
    access control that shit

hmmmm

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

As you mentioned, the flipside to this is it illustrates who are the frequent question askers, and who are the frequent question answerers.

I've made comments before about people who produce versus people who consume, and their usefulness in both working organisations and society in general. COVID19 is demonstrating much of that quite plainly.

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I think that really depends on the individuals used to fill up the legacy workplace; my office was a pretty good place to wander over and shoot the shit with a different team so I'd consider that a 'not too bad' example and a far cry from the typical oxygen-and-motivation-sucking space. That said, I am loving the opportunity to work on my COVID beard :D

elvis likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Lots of these appearing in video conferencing lately. I'm making a point of insisting they stay when we all return to the office.

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I'm 50/50 on mine; perhaps I'm delusional in thinking I can achieve a decent Obadiah Stane look. Will tidy up and seek opinions before returning to the office :thumbup:

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

mine came off yesterday, makes me look old.
    I'm all for lazy though.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

"Distinguished" is the word we old farts prefer to use.

cvidler likes this.
  9. cvidler

cvidler Member

fantasy is not for me :)

elvis likes this.
  10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

fixed ;)

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Please enlighten us on how we should be managing our crotch goblins.

I have to go in to the office tommorow for something unavoidable. I'm in 2 minds about the beard. I had one pre covid, but during, its growing wild and free. I think It needs taming.

12. Hive

Hive Member

Is this uh, what day is this?

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

tied up outside?

Rass likes this.
  15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah I was being sarcastic. As if. "just claim it on tax".

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The neighbors complain about the noise.

When kids do something stupid during a VC, it's easy to tell who does, and doesn't have similarly aged kids, by the responses - I'd be dollars to donuts, Rass is one of the ones who does not. (even though, with inflation, Donuts are worth more than dollars).

Rass likes this.
  17. Rass

Rass Member

Serious talk:
    I get it, all kids need attention. Except for medical issues and very small ones, there's a problem if they need your indulgence 24/7. That's what I'm talking about. If your kid can't sit down with a colouring book, legos or something for 30 minutes without screaming, throwing things or whatever, perhaps they are consuming too much food colouring, or they are getting into a co-dependance relationship. But what do I know? I don't have kids.

Back on the funnies:

Yep. Or your local pet store sells crates. Whack in a food bowl and one of those water things, and she'll be apples.

Whilst they are there, get them sewing some clothes for gucci or some shit.

Serious talk:
    Oh, absolutely I don't have kids. Couldn't make me. That being said, unless it's screaming in my ear, I'm pretty patient and don't particularly give a shit. There's a mute button on VC's for a reason, you can just excuse yourself and do whatever needs doing.. Same thing with loud dogs. One of the guys I work with has two very large dogs that like barking loudly. He mutes when not talking, and if it starts being an issue, he goes and deals with it.
    Several colleagues I meet with daily with have small kids, and they mostly do the same. A couple of people have kids sit on their lap and watch what's happening. It's cute.

Not serious:
    duct tape over the mouth or around the snout is a valid solution.

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Sooo... someone I know was on a VC when one participants other half walked past without a top on... my mate assumes she was naked cause you could only see the top half... worse the person they talking to could only be seen neck up!

19. Brett

Brett Member

As a father myself, the same way you'd manage them if you were in the office. "Working from home" doesn't mean "available to do all my other home stuff as well".
    If they need to go to after school care/daycare/grandmas/whatever, they should go.

20. wazza

wazza Member

The biggest benefit for me is people not being able to "easily" talk to me - it lets me get my job done vs explaining for the 143rd time this week how to do your job.

I had noticed this, didn't want to say something and jinx it though!

I've heard that our GM is wanting to get people coming back to the office very soon - he must be lonely. We do have some who are still working from the office because they can't WFH or just didn't want to. Personally I have no desire to go back to the office and am getting far more (and more valuable) stuff done from home vs in the office, so I'll be strongly pushing to keep WFH, even if they want to see me in the office once or twice a week that would still be better than before.

In our case our offices are still open, and people can safely work from them - we made sure that the WFH policy was clear on this, company won't pay for any costs of your WFH (but will provide usual PC related equipment) - if you have no internet/insufficient speed/have some other reason you can't WFH, you're quite welcome to drag your dead wood seat warming ass in to the office.