1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That, or unable to deal with the new inability to monitor staff every minute of the day.

mooboyj, person and bcann like this.
  2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

It's far more manageable now they are back at school. but when they were being kept home.. It wasn't a simple matter of sitting them down for 30 minutes while you got some work done. It was an all day thing. They don't need indulgence 24/7. but you don't get to schedule when they do need it, so occasionally it will interrupt things.

If I'm me and the wife are both working, they go to grandmas after school - Grandma is old, and would die from covid. ergo, in these times, they cannot be managed they same way they would 'if I was in the office' because the thing that is keeping me from being in the office, is the same as the thing that is keeping them from going to Grandmas.

With that being said, Covid is a great excuse to put up internal walls, and line my shed under the guise of "Home Office" so I can lock the door, should I need uninterrupted time on a call or something.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

Indeed, it shows.

"Kids" don't work to a predictable formula. A 2 year old is nothing like a 3 year old is nothing like a whatever-year-old. And my three kids are all totally different from each other, let alone totally different from the type of human being they were 12 months ago.

There are times in everyone's lives when you're needy as fuck 24x7, and there are times in everyone's lives when you can happily amuse yourself for days on end. Even as adults we cycle between these extremes and an infinite range in the middle.

Go ask your parents what sort of an angel you were at various stages in your life. I bet they've got some great stories where you were a total pain in the arse, as well as where you were an angel.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    millsy, mooboyj, 2SHY and 4 others like this.
  4. 2SHY

2SHY Member

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

lol - wonder how many embarrassments will be discovered... need to search Trump
    https://pluralistic.net/2020/05/25/mafia-logic/#ddosecrets

6. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

In a 200+ people web training session aimed at being all things to all people so you slog through 3 hours of Yankee presenter (God I hate US style presenters.... they. talk. so . fucking. slowly. and. dwell. on. every. single. tiny. detail. at. length. like. their. entire. audience. has. the. uptake. ability. of. a. 6. year. old.) who spends 70-% of the time on scrub level material just so you can get to the 30% of stuff you don't actually know

bcann likes this.
  7. cvidler

cvidler Member

watch. the. recording. later. and skip all the crap.

8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

fuck it I've already burnt 2 hours. But good protip for next time.
    I'm not sure if they send you the recordings, also they may be tracking attendance so my boss get a sad panda if the vendor says I didn't turn up, not sure if that's going on or not
    I'm kinda doing shit in the background so its tolerable except for the fact that I then have 2.5 more hours of VC in the afternoon so I'm totally VCed out

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

I've got no time for anyone that's not recording/providing said recordings of training.

all the big players are doing that these days (been catching up on some of the AWS summit recordings).

most of the stuff I'm expected to follow is done on US time anyway, so I'm not attending live at 3am. fuck that.

10. tobes

tobes Member

I've got no time for trainings that don't have the ability to replay at variable speeds. e.g 1.5-2 times speed

cvidler likes this.
  11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Let me introduce you to the Micromangers best friend - Attention Tracking - if $ShitwareVC doesn't have focus, you're deemed to be not paying attention, and questions get asked... because single, fullscreen is the only way to do things.

bcann and cvidler like this.
  12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Our internal training peeps do that bullshit.
    Thankfully they haven't yet developed the technology to detect when I'm using a second laptop sitting right alongside the one being hog tied by the trainers.

person, wazza and colmaz like this.
  13. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

yeah a couple of years ago they changed up all the shitware internal HR training to have dynamic components so you'd basically have to play CAPTCHA with every screen including waiting. Fucking infuriating. I already know how to sexually harrass womyn, thank you very much.

14. millsy

millsy Member

Under rated view to be honest.

Email/teams post/slack notification.

Notification fatigue is real

phrosty-boi, 2SHY and Gargamel like this.
  15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I flat out tell people I don't read teams posts. No notification, millions of channels, probably in bold because about drone got added to the team. It's insanity once you're trying to monitor more than a few channels

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

In the wise words of one of my old colleagues:

"No tickey, no workey."

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

You guys... ask the managler a question during on of their group VCs about any technical topic which they don't know the answer, when they can't answer publicly ask them "didn't you pay attention during the meeting?" because the reality is people do not retain information about things that aren't of importance to them.

millsy likes this.
  18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

As much as its fun to antagonise management, I tend not to do it unless it derives a concrete outcome for me, and doing it for the lolz just raises their hostility level which directly affects my quality of life and ability to get shit done (tm).
    I settle for my trademark 'I think you're a fucking moron' look (otherwise known as resting bitch-face)

mooboyj and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

This. So much this.

We remember what we care about. That's why ramming information down people's throats is a pointless waste of time.

"Engagement" used to mean something. Today it's an overused buzzword by slimey sales arseholes. And that's part of the problem.

phrosty-boi and bcann like this.
  20. shredder

shredder Member

It's a key lesson in work, that noone's gonna read your painstakingly composed 50 page manual that rationally lays out every single piece of information that might be necessary.

I've had that literal experience. Recently I happened to see the manual in question, for the first time in about 10 years (not that it hugely matters but it was a GIS introduction and reference manual for an in-house mapping system I'd built). Paging through the manual with a decade's hindsight was an exercise in "what the hell was I thinking writing these reams of fucking essays and lists, to these uncaring, busy people".

It was a fantastic work taking weeks, well written, potentially hugely effective and useful - that absolutely nobody would ever, ever use or read beyond the first quick flick-through-and-discard-into-nearest-drawer. I'm sure it would've gotten me great marks in a uni project, but not in reality.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    phrosty-boi, person and elvis like this.