1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

2. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

3. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

5. wazza

wazza Member

Got word that another one of our customers copped a ransomwaring over the weekend, at least some of the damage sounds like it was due to a poor quality MSP. New servers put in a few months ago but not included in the backup routine, backups written to multiple devices all connected to the network and no one asked to disconnect them ever (so yup, they were wrecked). Out of luck they seem to have one backup that was offline at the time, but it is missing the new servers which contains most of their data. MSP couldn't even figure out how to communicate with the "hackers" despite there being multiple working web addresses (one Tor, one normal) in the text file left for them. $200k AUD ransom once they finally got in contact....that won't be getting paid.
    Surprisingly these guys don't seem to have RDP open to the web (have had multiple ransomwared due to RDP being open), wonder if they'll blame the employee who no doubt clicked on NotAVirus.exe in their emails?

6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

If you only ever expose an API/service to your customers, then you can completely rip out your entire backend infrastructure and start again, as long as it still meets the API/service correctly, you can move with the times without issue.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A local FORTRAN dev I interact with still cites he has the fastest benchmarks for single threaded CSV and ISAM reading.

Although he gets quite upset when you ask him why his application can't scale past a single thread.

Luke212 and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  8. chook

chook Member

Ah, that is actually part of the premium service and not covered by the basic SLA sorry.
    Usually being shown off by another "leader" who is all excited about the new metric he has invented to ensure bonus payments increased efficiencies.
    Can we not just deliver Technical Debt as a Service to drive the growth of this new industry?

bcann likes this.
  9. Myst

Myst Member

Need some technical debt ninjas to sneak in and destroy all the old legacy stuff, see how quickly new systems are procured then!

10. power

power Member

how old?

Myst likes this.
  11. bcann

bcann Member

MSP you say, color me surprised.

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

There's no technical debt with *aaS.

While it's supported by the vendor, it's supported getting updates/big fixes/security patches etc. whether you like it or not. there's no O365 customers running on Exchange 2010 or SBS because 'reasons'.

When they stop supporting it, it's turned off. no debt.

And it's not like they don't give you months and months, if not year+ of warning something will go unsupported.

13. 7nothing

7nothing Member

As a pretty infrequent linux user, want to shout out the call to deprecate ifconfig in favour of the "ip" binary.

0 chance of ambiguity when I have to google something.

mooboyj, 3Toed and elvis like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

All cynicism and shitposting aside, this is my favourite part of *aaS. You put it in places that hate change, and they're forced to learn how to cope with always moving forwards.

How well does that go? Honestly, I find people adapt pretty quickly. At first it's all tears and tantrums because "bloody Teams changed the button location" or "bloody GMail app looks different all of a sudden". But then people get used to change being the new normal, and STFU and get on with real work instead of pissing and moaning about UIs that they've been "trained" in (or lack thereof) and had bad rote habits reinforced on for the last X decades. Rage turns to joy pretty quickly too when they buy the latest Gucci handbag iPhone and everything just works, no need to wait on IT to upgrade shit from yestercentury.

My track record of replacing on-prem with cloud isn't into triple digits yet, but so far zero sites have gone back to ye olde ways. Turns out daily incremental change works just fine for plenty of places, compared to massive "lift and shift" upgrades that get exponentially more difficult and expensive as they are delayed year on year (and a big "hello" to all the folks panicking about Exchange 2010 going EOL today).

While I get the lols, the tool suite is officially called "iproute2", which is more googleable. Includes things like "iw" and "ss" as well. [wait, iw is from a different package]

Oh, and man pages, my friend. Check 'em first, and Google second, because StackOverflow is a terrible place.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    GumbyNoTalent and theSeekerr like this.
  15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Code:
    sudo apt install net-tools
    Fixs that issue on Ubuntu 18.04+ in < 1 min.

3Toed likes this.
  16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Technical Debt is not (Just) a product going unsupported. It could be an early design decision, that limits your options or causes issues a long way down the track, and Cloud vendors are not magically immune to this. Nor are companies adopting the as-a-service model

"But they haven't clouded properly" you say, and this is true. but these same people weren't "On premising" properly either

Theres a stack of O365 customers with old versions of Exchange and AD for Attribute management

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-hybrid

Microsoft knew if they didn't offer a Hybrid approach, they would lose the leverage they have, the Hybrid approach embraces the technical debt of the customer in the name of backwards compatibility - It's still supported, but, by my definition at least, it's still Technical Debt.

Have a look at

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/update-on-amazon-linux-ami-end-of-life/

it reads an awful lot like https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/policies/fixed

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

aws.png

built from AWS Linux - amzn-ami-pv-2015.03.0.x86_64-ebs
    I have one client still on older versions of AWS Linux, no notifications saying they won't let you run them if they already exist, nor notifications saying you have to migrate. The only warning I have from AWS is these old VMs cannot be modified (add more storage) as the new storage engine is not compatible.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

I recommend everyone tune into The Old Timey Computer Show from time to time.
    https://www.twitch.tv/oldtimeycomputershow

Today were two great episodes back to back:

* A 1994 episode of "The Internet Show", talking about new uses of video and streaming live events over the Internet, some 26 years ago. Someone tell Tony Abbott.

* A 1984 episode of the "Xerox Star User Interface", where a user sitting in New York opens a document hosted on a file server in Los Angeles.

All this talk of "rushing to the cloud" amuses me. Over a quarter of a century later isn't a rush. A quick study of computing history shows us how slow we're really moving.

Myst likes this.
  19. chip

chip Member

or just going around in circles

bcann, chook and elvis like this.
  20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

reminds me of this thread.

BAK, PabloEscobar and fredhoon like this.