Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Don't you worry about <blank>
    Let me worry about <blank>

Hive likes this.
  2. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

<blank>? <blank>? You're not looking at the big picture!

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

BRB renaming thread to "Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing PTSD Thread".

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

LITERALLY YOUR FIRST POST.

If anything we're just back on topic.

mooboyj, 2SHY, miguelala and 3 others like this.
  5. caspian

caspian Member

but we haven't got funding to do it properly. ever. mostly because every new project has to spend a large hunk of money fixing the technical debt left behind by the previous project, in the name of MVP and its lack of funding.

repeat ad nauseam, et absurdium.

strangely this is never a problem with projects that marketing come up with. blank cheque there.

6. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

don't forget, we must outsource, and then pick the lowest cost provider, then do the shocked pikachu face when shit breaks down and/or deteriorates into a cesspool as they do only the bare needful and not a millimeter more

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Oh for sure, I wasn't criticising. This feels more and more like a group therapy session every day, and I'm A-OK with this (because, honestly, I need it).

2SHY and NSanity like this.
  8. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

"You're not going to like the solution. Here, look at this pretty graph."

9. Hive

Hive Member

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Apparently that article was filed under the section "potpourri".

Always fascinating to see what truly hopeless individuals consider "useful" with a modicum of technical skill. Imagine how they'd feel if they did learned a truly worthwhile skill.

Hive likes this.
  11. Hive

Hive Member

They would probably spend all day complaining about how useless the industry is

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  12. cvidler

cvidler Member

first steps. hopefully she takes the initiative to keep learning.

(meanwhile, I wonder how she ever did accounting without learning about spreadsheet, and lol at yanks and their chequebooks - so backwards)

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Walk into any small business or even large business admin department and survey their physical desk top. 100% guarantee you'll see a ream of tear-away paper with hand-written information and a ruler designating the current place, and a cheap desktop calculator.

The linked article talked about "all the free time" the person had since learning Excel - time to spend with the kids at the park on the weekend, a date night with the spouse. All of this suggests the individual spent a large portion of their non-work time manually calculating things, instead of using cheap/free software and automation.

What's hilarious though is the complete lack of awareness - that a couple of days of learning was enough to automate away huge volumes of their previously rote and wasteful home and workplace time sinks. And yet, zero awareness that the automation could continue on, and entirely invalidate their newly discovered skillset and/or career.

I can't wait for impending mass automation of most jobs. It's going to force a lot of people to take stock of what they once assumed was important about their existence in the workplace.

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I listen to a lot of tech podcasts while I drive and it always amuses me listening to them get excited about 'new' banking features, like chip and pin, or paywave, and how forcing shops to update their pos equipment is such a barrier to implementing said features. Meanwhile backwards old 'straya has had that stuff.. how long now?

15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Murica is strange place. 50 small countries trying to coexist together with a few hundred million people all doing their own thing

You'd think the capitalists would be the first to make spending money easier though wouldn't you..

millsy and elvis like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

There's a massive cultural issue there with privacy and freedom (think: first and second amendments) which is why it's been so hard to get that across the line in the US.

Always amazes me how one of the most advanced cultures in the world still wants everything to work like it did in the 1800s wild west. Look at any discussion online about EU countries moving towards fully cashless systems within the coming years, and see the vitriol spread about the "gub'ment comin' to get ya'".

Although, to be fair, we still have those types in this country. Check out some of OCAU's best and brightest baulking at how unfair it all is to be able to buy things and not be able to dodge tax:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...s-over-10-000-illegal-from-july-2019.1245250/

17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

From the other side, CCP moving to cashless lets them confiscate all your money on a whim when you disagree with them lol, it's a reasonable enough concern to have.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

CCP as in China Communist Party?

Filed under "reasons I don't live in China".

mesaoz likes this.
  19. chip

chip Member

TIL citizen militias are preventing contactless payment uptake in the USA.

edit: and freedom of religion

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  20. cvidler

cvidler Member

Not so long ago Greece locked down cash withdrawals and then stole money from peoples bank accounts because they were going bust.

less central control is a good thing.
    as always there's a happy medium when everyone is playing fairly, problem is it's far to easy for the government and large corps to stop playing fairly.