Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. miicah

miicah Member

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Australia isn't Greece. Nor China.

Going to assume sarcasm tag here. :)

3. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

yes which is why we must rally against IPv6@!!@#@!#wtfbbqpanda

4. millsy

millsy Member

It's easy to take for granted how lucky we are here with a lot of things to be honest, reading the conditions some sysadmins are forced to deal with in USA etc. is insane

tobes and Hive like this.
  5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Not just sysadmins and not just the USA. People in the more developed Asian countries work like 60+ hour weeks as normal including Saturdays. The list goes on

6. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

2weeks annual leave pa, non accruing and a culture where it is frowned upon to take said leave in for a "long" 2 week holiday.

For all Australia's faults, I'm glad I live here.

colmaz and elvis like this.
  7. bcann

bcann Member

Very true, and i for one want a cashless society, however at the same time, given the right conditions, Australia could change to something like these or worse before you knew it, hell we could even vote in something like this... we do vote for dumb things.

8. caspian

caspian Member

it's unlikely that Australia will turn into Greece economically, because we haven't made the misguided decision to enter into a common currency with other countries with highly diverse economies. as for turning into China, I don't think enough people are that stupid. at the moment, anyway.

we only vote for dumb things because our current political system forces us to vote for a parcel of policies, some of which you support and some which you don't. that's then compounded by there only being an effective choice between the two major parties. so at best you get to vote for which party has an overall position that least-worst represents your beliefs. however, since most people are fairly well aligned with their political party of choice's political outlook and wouldn't vote for the other mob without being set on fire, that is effectively no choice at all.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I really don't think this will happen rapidly.

And even then, if it did, I'm on the first plane out to Scandinavia. I'm not one of these people who hang around in a bad place "because it's home".

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Of course, the bad thing could never happen to me, because bad things are what happen to other people.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Not at all. More that turmoil like "gubment turned corrupt and locked me out of my bank account" is something that takes a while to happen.

That, and "I only trust cash" is great and all, but last year's bush fires proved that even cash can't help you when other necessary building blocks of society collapse.

If you're holding on to cash because you don't trust your government, I've got some bad news for you about how cash isn't going to help you when disaster strikes.

12. scips

scips Member

Choice in Aussie politics seems like the least impactful in the world, both parties are the same and you are just forced to go one of them because a Karen on one side decided to take up a huge negative stance on something stupid.

upload_2020-12-2_17-7-28.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  13. millsy

millsy Member

Honestly I was even just shooting for their forcing people to work in infected workplaces etc. and people without choices having to choose to eat and hope they don't kill grandma etc.

upload_2020-12-3_10-41-31.png

????????

person, andrewbt, bcann and 2 others like this.
  14. cvidler

cvidler Member

got a suspicious email today, that literally says in it title "You've received a secret message" body: "this is not a phishing email, click here to get your secret message."

this is how this customer distributes admin account passwords. which turned out to be nothing more than todays date, not even a random password you have to change straight away.

facepalm.

had I not been expecting it, it would've been deleted sooo fast.

15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Was it followed by a phone call from the ATO telling you not to ignore the message or you'd go to jail?

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

no that was a few weeks ago.

it was, scarily, a perfectly legit email. no wonder users fall for phishing attacks, when they're already pretty stupid, and legit use cases do it so wrong.

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I had to ask. I received that call and thought it was a scam, but the call said it wasn't so I gave them all my money.

I don't want to go to jail.

18. power

power Member

i mean yeah, i'm not stupid or anything I know what a scam is like this wasn't one for sure, they said they were from the Federal Police.

EvilGenius likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

* IT provider sends email to tens of thousands of users weekly with links to click to go to random websites
    * IT provider sends email once a year to same users to test susceptibility to phishing attempts, wonders why 30% of them click on links to random websites

bcann and Fred Nurk like this.
  20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I got one to my work mobile the other day.
    I've had them before to my personal mobile so I'm used to it but the one to my work mobile was concerning somewhat because the number is not advertised anywhere and I give it out very rarely.
    Even more concerning is they used my name in the call.