Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wazza

wazza Member

I'm surprised something so phishy wasn't blocked by your anti-spam service - there again, if it was I'm sure they'd just ask you to white list them.

I get annoyed every year when I get the ICANN confirm your domain contact details email because there seems to be no way to verify it other than clicking the link - you can't log in to your account to do it, it must be done from the emailed link.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

internal email to internal mailbox. that and the fact I was expecting it (as I had requested a admin account the day before and was told to look out for an email) was the only reason it survived the cull.

3. melatonin

melatonin Member

I thought I got a scam cal the other day but turns out you just give them your credit card number and if its lucky you get a prize.

bcann likes this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

Damnit, i want that call, whats the number.

Attached Files:

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

GumbyNoTalent and EvilGenius like this.
  7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So I called helpdesk

8. power

power Member

go home google, you're drunk.

looks like gmail is patchy again and bouncing with 5.1.1's

9. Hive

Hive Member

Meanwhile exchange on premises is working flawlessly.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"Flawless" is a high rating for a product that's shitty and limited out-of-the-box. :p

"Works as intended" would be more my rating. Where "intended" is "the best groupware tech that 1995 had to offer".

cvidler, Rass and Hive like this.
  11. NSanity

NSanity Member

looking at that limited platform called "Exchange Online"...

:rolleyes:

Even when you look past folders vs labels from an end user perspective - G Suite's tools for admins are actual cancer.

EvilGenius likes this.
  12. cvidler

cvidler Member

I dunno about that, there was Lotus Notes/Domino in 1995.

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No argument from me. But GSuite as an end-user is exponentially better for my needs.

It's amusing you know, GSuite is following the same evolution as Windows. Windows itself started as a single user OS, and slowly migrated into an enterprise system with controls. Coming at early Windows from a Linux/UNIX/Novell background, I would have said "actual cancer" about it's management tools as well. But over time it got there.

Seeing a whole new generation of folks who are used to Microsoft style management stacks after decades of polish complain about Google attempting to wrangle what is essentially a single user product (GMail) into a multi-user and corporate product (GSuite), gives me big time chuckles. I guess you all get to have a taste of my early Windows admin experiences after all this time. :)

Regardless of all of that old timey bullshit, the fact remains that even with cancerous admin tools and constant outages, I prefer cloud groupware for the two major reasons that it's far more convenient and integrated with everything I want (GSuite works with literally thousands of other cloud tools "out of the box" in ways Exhchange/Outlook can't even touch - it knows so much about the random services I plug in to and automates away hours of rote bullshit I have to do when I'm back on ancient Exchange/Outlook sites), and the fact that when it does break, fairies fix it in the night while I sleep.

Meanwhile, I drink from the cup of tears of every sysadmin put out of work by a cloud vendor. Change is the only constant, and when we're all automated out of the job it'll be a fantastic day, and we might even be able to go and do something more useful with our existence than bandaid-fixing endless errors due to human laziness.

Fitzi likes this.
  15. millsy

millsy Member

Man I was trying to find a user the other day in Azure that had setup auto forwarding, holy shit that's a rabbit hole to dig through. So many ways to configure forwards.

NSanity likes this.
  16. 2SHY

2SHY Member

EpPX-m-XIAEz9Ci.jpg large.jpg

Source

Someone will find this funny.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Exchange forwarding is a fun one. lots of places you can do it, pretty hard to find them all if you're not an experienced exchange admin.

18. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah from what i could see there's ways you can only get via the powershell tools as well, which makes sense but what a nightmare! No wonder people just blindly enable external forwarding and hope for the best :D

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

So basically you have transport layer (either your own transport rule or eDiscovery processing), Mailbox layer (admin store+forward) and then end user Exchange rules. Finally you can do outlook rules.

In *all* cases you can do message tracing and it will tell you whats doing what if you have an example.

millsy likes this.
  20. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah I was impressed at the default logging, was super helpful.

NSanity likes this.