Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yep, they're already killing off CentOS.

IBM - I've Been Mugged.

Rass and Hive like this.
  2. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

It's Better Manually.
    I Buy Money
    Idiots Being Managers

It's a long list...

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Don't Worry, Box = Security by your manglement team

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Daemon, ir0nhide, person and 3 others like this.
  4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

how about when they put a box in with allow any-any and then ask you for a fixed price to sort out the rules? Sure mate I'll get out my crystal ball.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12...ts-penalised-over-alleged-plagiarism/13004718
    So the Dr Kurniawati also said.
    and
    Now this is the person teaching "third-year algorithms", no wonder graduates are useless! If you take 30% off how do you get a negative result? Why does this person teach? probably because they suck at doing!

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Good to see formal education in Australia continuing its high standard of emulating a sausage factory.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

yeah no one takes ANU degrees seriously. it's highly international pay student.

we've tried hiring ANU grads previously, thank goodness for probation periods.

8. stiben

stiben Member

In my first proper IT role many moons ago I had an ANU grad ask me "how do I write an update statement in SQL?"

9. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

I know what your saying but ,im sure i would get the synatx of an update statement wrong right now , my brain is great at forgetting those little details....lol

10. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

I took that as "the mark for the project was not going to be negative" meaning that the final results for the subject would not be lower, meaning some people would have the ability to pass the subject.
    If they had given a negative score for the project/assignment, then with a large enough deficit, every student would be able to be failed automatically, and asked to repeat the subject.
    The interesting question is that apparently the students can still get 100% for the subject, but there has been no mention of what the extra credit requirements would have to be.

11. wazza

wazza Member

Surely with some reasonable effort they would be able to figure out who likely cheated and who was legit, even if they were smart enough not to give themselves away in the ads. They can see if someone has suddenly had a decent jump in marks, the quality of their code has gone up, if they've suddenly become good at commenting their code, different coding styles or even variable naming etc. Sounds to me that the uni are just too lazy to investigate it and punishing all as a result - hope the legit students raise hell over this.

You'd know how to find those details though, and likely have half a clue at putting it down even if the syntax isn't spot on. I've interviewed people before who claim to be experienced with databases, but when you ask them to write even the most basic query they can't do so.

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

When I interview I specifically tell them I don't care about the specifics of syntax - if it's an SQL-like pseudocode that's totally fine with me so long as it demonstrates that they know the structure of the statement and can think relationally.

I'd be lying if I said this made any difference at all. Those who say they don't remember the details are always just as foggy in their thinking as their syntax - I've had a not-insignificant number of candidates write pseudocode for a FOR loop when asked to apply an update to multiple rows, for instance.

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Never heard of any assignment marking system that goes negative... EVAR!

EDIT - So they changed the reporting from 30% to 30 points, now that could have a negative impact, however looks like ANU have backflipped on all the bad press so no penalty.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  14. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

I just went and looked at some random code I wrote a few months ago and i will raise your FOR loop with a NESTED FOR loop :)

Lol i mainly use perl DBI / DBIx / DBIx abstract and looping is exactly what i would do (obviously not in SQL)
    its very easy to do complex transactions, check for errors then commit , so i align my sql to my data structure

Code:
        foreach my $site (@sites){
            my @select = ('groupname');
            my @row =();
            my @where = ();
            my @operations = ();
            my $table = $site;
            my $limit = '0';

my ($k_headers,$tkeys) = select_data (\@select,\@row,\@where,\@operations,$dbh_as,$table,$limit,$print_dumper,$log,'','','','','','','');
            my @keys = map { $_ -> [0] } @$tkeys;

foreach my $key (@keys){

my @weight_update_col=();
                my @weight_update_value=();

foreach my $k (keys %{$weight_hash{$key}}){

push @weight_update_col , $k;
                        push @weight_update_value , $weight_hash{$key}{$k};
                    }

update_data(\@weight_update_col,\@weight_update_value,'groupname',$key,$dbh_as,$site,'0',$log);

}
        }

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The question I start with is just FizzBuzz adapted to SQL. Along the lines of:
    Now, that's just a case statement and the modulus operator, plus knowing how to put it together. Plus it's a variant of a VERY well-known coding interview problem, specifically chosen to be unintimidating. It's rarely answered correctly.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The only issue with external looping mechanisms within an open transaction is the record locks especially index update locks that are usually block level and not row related, this can lead to a deadly embrace / deadlock where the transaction is too large and self blocking. Most DBs that implement stored procedures and triggers usually have a deadly embrace catch that will self resolve allowing updates on locks held by parent PID executing the code if the loop is forking (calling another stored procedure).

This can also be resolved by not using a connection pool and maintaining a persistent SQL connection when running the script external.

Finally "captain obvious" is the execution length of the transaction can update block others if it is long running.

17. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

so what your trying to say is non relational DB's are better ...... right :tongue:

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  18. KDog

KDog Member

Probably because they didn't wish to continue their 100% success rate at losing court cases. 60% of the time, they lose every time.

19. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I must say, if I have to update many rows in a SQL database, say >10, that can't be done with just an Update X, Where somecol = Y, I will fiddle with the data in excel and concat together an update string per line before executing that against the database.

I'm also probably googling how to construct an update query properly, cause I don't write them with any frequency.

Probably doesn't work when you have >100k entries, but I'm never dealing with that many when I'm doing these hacks. If I had to do more, I'm writing a C# program and using the Entity Framework model I got in there for the database, because 70% of my day job is writing C# apps that interact with said databases, and the Entity Framework model is already there for that.

20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Just outsource it to Alt-elvis.