Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I get the whole nostalgia thing, but these days one of the most painful things I have to do (after anything that involves a printer) is touch a machine with spinning rust. I'm not sure how I'd deal with playing with something that runs so slowly the hdd is waiting for the cpu instead of the other way around. Not in my 'fun' time. Not if I wanted to stay sane.

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I had need today for the first time in almost 3 years to shut the door to my office from the inside.

I found this on the back of the door.

[​IMG]

mooboyj, bcann and elvis like this.
  4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

When we went to Windows 10, our most used support article was

"How do I shutdown/logoff"

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Just wait until the next patch cycle.

Also, imagine having a paid job in an air conditioned office in 2020/2021 and not having the skill to find the shutdown button. Do they know they'll be the first ones replaced by software? What's their backup plan? I'm intrigued.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Task worker mentality.

They don't need a backup plan, they just need to be reprogrammed to work with the new system.

Paying them is better for everyone than replacing them with a small shell script :).

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

They'll most likely be the types to blame their employer for not training them when they're replaced by automation, rather than finding the motivation to upskill themselves.

I assume you're talking from a "holding back humanity's progress to keep individuals tied to a desk instead of roaming the streets" point of view. This does not get my vote.

8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I've been to countries where the locals freely admit the horrendous inefficiency is to ensure that everyone at least has a jerb.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I am.

So much of society, and so many communities rely on the income these menial jobs provide.

It's wide scale "Work for above the dole", Until an alternative is in place, this isn't going to change.

Covid provided a MASSIVE opportunity to push a proper UBI system, but instead, Jobkeeper.
    So I'm not holding my breath.

fredhoon likes this.
  10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So Australia tech inductry is what your sayin? ;)

11. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

Agreed.

Now to wait for machines with no spinning fans i.e. completely passively cooled. I suspect it will be a while.

12. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

hoisted by my own petard!

13. caspian

caspian Member

pretty sure the idea of Jobkeeper was to keep people employed against the day the economy recovered, as opposed to paying them not to work.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Just because someone is at work, doesn't mean they're being paid to work.

Adult babysitting centre, where the competent few spend more time babysitting the others than doing something productive. (If you're looking for evidence, see this entire thread).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Gargamel likes this.
  15. caspian

caspian Member

if people aren't working at work, that's a problem to be solved, not replaced with another one.

as is usually the case - enforce the rules that exist and the problem largely goes away. don't just create new rules that are often as unworkable as the current ones.

16. tensop

tensop Member

playing around with it now - 8.10, i like it :)

Hive likes this.
  17. Hive

Hive Member

Don’t bother with the GUI. It does strange things. Try playing with channels for instance. It’s a step in the right direction for small and medium deployments, though I prefer autonomous firmware for single ap setups. but that’s gone on most recent access points.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Its not so much they aren't "working"
    They just aren't doing anything of value.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

And we "solved" that with unions and anti-employer unfair dismissal laws.

The current system is flawed and broken. UBI might not be the answer, but the status quo isn't either.

20. caspian

caspian Member

seems to be rather a semantic difference. they're not producing anything of value, I don't really care how much effort they expend in doing so.

both are in fact the opposite of solutions to unproductive employees. what they create is a UBI where the employer pays the "employee" to do nothing, instead of the government paying for it.

exactly my point. don't just replace one problem with a different problem - that's not a solution.

people need to be making a productive contribution to society to be rewarded. if their skills and abilities qualify them for a lesser job than they aspire to, then they can either lower their standards or improve themselves.

and if they're going to be given a handout by the government (funded by our taxes) then I'm sure that there are a hell of a roads that need sweeping, parks mown, potholes filled, and other jobs that don't need much in the way of skills to fulfil.

I have nothing against support for those who need it. that means helping and assisting people to get back into paid work if they are capable of doing so. what we should never, ever do though, is create a "solution" where people who could be working can viably choose not to do so, because we'll pay them not to.

I freely admit the current system is badly flawed. that doesn't mean it's fundamentally flawed, it means we need to fix it. the problem is not so much that that is unattainable, it's lack of political willpower. left wing governments won't do so because it's their voter base that would be disadvantaged, and right wing governments won't do so because they're scared they would lose more votes than they would gain out of it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021