Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

To try it though would be the removal of all current welfare payments else the cost sky rockets and people say it doesn't work

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Way too soon to have a fully functioning UBI now. Look at the seething hatred for it from the wealthy right currently. There's not only the technical and economic difficulties of getting all the numbers right, but there's going to need to be a frog boiling phase just to get the "not with *my* tax dollars" whiners to calm down and see the bigger picture.

But I did say it would start with disaster, and is has indeed started. There are more active trials happening worldwide now than ever before.

If it takes Australia 10 years to put in mediocre internet, it's going to take us more than 12 months to put in a radical change to our social benefits systems.

I genuinely can't see how it's not ultimately inevitable. I had automation pegged as the main push, but COVID and the world's lack of preparedness for any real inconvenience has certainly given things a push a decade earlier than expected.

Not fully. They took the sensible approach and have started a gradual rollout to avoid knee-jerk reactions, but as above, it needs to be a slow process for both economic and social/public-reaction reasons.

What they have now is still incomplete, but it's succeeding in what they want to achieve.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  3. tensop

tensop Member

Yeah, the gui is very basic.. but the CLI is pretty decent. going to test this out with ~14 waps and about 200-250 clients in a month or so and see how it goes.. easy to switch them back to the WLC if required :)

Hive likes this.
  4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

why bother, just roll with Aruba Instant, they've been doing the controllerless thing for a decade and it shows
    They had up to 100 APs in controllerless when Cisco were still scrabbling around with ~25 IIRC
    Distributed app FW / reporting, instant guest VLAN, full NAC feature parity etc. and that was like 5 years ago

Heck now you can tie them straight back into Aruba Central (Cloud) for 'Meraki' type arch or manage them traditionally as virtual controllers, its all very flexible and no DNA licensing BS

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Hive likes this.
  5. tensop

tensop Member

already got the cisco gear, that's why :)

Hive likes this.
  6. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

the worst thing about the oppressive DNA licensing is that Viptela SDWAN is actually really really good.

The guy who founded the company and it current BU lead is also really good, I put in a feature request and some how it made it all the way to him. He asked for a meeting we talked about it and the scenario for an hour or two and at the end he said "the way we are currently doing this is lazy, your way is better, lets do your way", that was last year, features are already in mainline code. Never had that happen for any product from any vendor before.

fredhoon and Hive like this.
  7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Its really good if its 2018. They burned all their time last couple of years shoehorning it into their HW platform (ASICs etc.) and the competition leapt ahead whilst they were too busy squashing bugs and explaining to customers why their 2k ISR only had 2 RJ45s out of the box, and oh those 1100s can't do full mesh because 100 tunnels (and no on-demand until recently).

Look at how on-demand tunnels are done as an example, its like DMVPN NHRP shortcut bollocks all over again, for the gartner quadrant competitors its either a tickbox or 'just works'. Ditto with FEC (can't even configure the threshold, need ANOTHER explicit data policy). Look at reporting as well, have you ever seen what you can tell about an individual flow in Silver Peak or Cloudgenix.

They really need to fix the 'netconf in a web UI' style of configuration and templating, it drives everyone nuts, everyone else has a translation layer so the end user doesn't have to effectively build the raw netconf template, and the utter inflexibility that results. Ever had a single site need a slightly different security policy? (e.g. a single new ACL line lol).

I won't even go into the actual security side, blech and can't even auto-integrate into ZScaler (but it can do so with Umbrella, like I get the vendor logic but seriously....)... and FFS don't call it a zone-based FW when a zone is a VRF and 95% of customers/pre-sales morons just walk straight into that door (guess who comes in afterwards to 'fix').

Agree the engineering fundamentals are sound and OMP is awesome but a lot of that, frankly, is that they are the only vendor that really exposes that and explains it. What do you think Velo, Silver Peak etc. are doing under the hood, they just don't publicise it (or frankly document it very well which yeah is a major complaint about every other vendor)

It is probably my least favourite 'good' platform now (if that makes sense... not counting Cradlepoint, Peplink etc.), whereas back in 2018 I was a raging fanboy. A large part of it is the burn marks from the vEdge --> ISR transition, oh boy was it fucking raw.

BTW the founders are now Alkira, they've jumped again and took a lot of the original crew with them as you would expect

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

lol my changes where directly around FEC/packet DUP and App routing.

Most of your complaints i see as superficial, the biggest advantage of Viptella for what i work with is that its basically BGP and interoperates very well in very complex multi path , mutli AS and multi last mile technology environment. If your doing a standard corp environment, with very simple topologies and good/decent last mile access just go with which ever SD-WAN is cheapest.

Viptella was originally a startup targeting SD-carrier before SD-WAN existed and when you need to act like a carrier ( like i do) it really shows.

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

like I said the competition has caught up, for example both CloudGenix and Silver Peak have more or less fully featured BGP stacks and can handle all the issues around redist etc.
    Even Velo has basically 'enough', and they have a lot of tickbox fancy tricks designed specifically to handle the traditional redistribution issues (esp as they can route natively underlay to overlay with all the attendant potential landmines... which is another viptela complaint that they've kinda addressed in latest release)

Both Silver Peak and Velo handle packet issues far better and pretty much out of the box tick.

Better not rant too much more or both of us will dox ourselves ROFL

10. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

When we POC Velo for our requirements it feel in a heap and couldn't scale how we needed at all.

11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Fair enough, like I said thou everyone is powering ahead and if your PoC was >12 months ago there could be a lot different. Its honestly exhausting to keep up esp when you throw cloud insertion into the mix.

Agree that if I was doing a mega-scale deployment, Viptela would be one of the key candidates. The other one I hear about a lot at carrier scale is Versa, but they have basically no footprint or customers in Oz and I don't know anything about them

A lot of the pain is addressed by Cat8Ks, the 4Ks can't go away fast enough

12. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

problem with 8K's is they dont have a baby one, the lowest cost entry point is still to high compared to 4k's.

13. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

was just reading this today :)

https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=198791&curpostid=199389

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

15. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

whats going on people,

if anyone is interested in doing some real networking feel free to slide up into my DM's......:shock: :Paranoid:

16. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Real as in racking switches and plugging cables?
    or 100k lines of networking conf?
    Or - Canberra Drinkies on Friday Night?

17. Hive

Hive Member

Setting up a dlink and printer at grandmas?

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  18. power

power Member

I once connected an iPhone to a hotspot, does that count?

19. Rass

Rass Member

I'm amazed at how dead this thread has been! Are we all just burnt out, or has the general morass become magically competent?

20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

People are still on holidays.
    But don't worry, the usual bullshit will resume shortly.