Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

We fall into a category not even close to secret and we still haven't made the jump up to O365.
    I believe we have begun planning to make the move, hopefully before we get smashed into oblivion.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm fairly confident that whenever the current Exchange versions go EOL (whenever that is - 2025 or something), the amount of people jumping to O365 on the next renewal will be fairly enormous by comparison.

I don't know a NEW business putting in on-prem email. Big or small, new orgs I've seen (as in proper new, not some .gov.au that got merged and a new acronym after the last election) are not bothering with on-prem email.

2013 was the last on-prem email I dealt with. Feels good man.

3. kjparker

kjparker Member

I'd agree for a new implementation, but when you have an org, that has been using Exchange on prem for the last decade or so, with all sorts of other complexities around it, it's not trivial to jump straight to EXO.

4. connico

connico Member

Lol what complexities... and its pretty much trivial to jump...

5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Makes me so happy inside doing an o365 migration for a customer, just not quite enough to offset the pain of having to deal with users hitting their 1-3gb mailbox limits and manually archiving like it's 200x all over again :tired:

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

When I hear that, I have flashbacks to my previous org where Finance told me they couldn't migrate to GSuite Calc and "needed" Excel specifically, and the reason for that was they'd been embedding Word docs inside Excel cells for years. Literally ExcelFS.

And that in turn reminds me of the classic XKCD:
    https://m.xkcd.com/1172/

And that in turn reminds me that XYProblem aren't just steps for troubleshooting, but for some users and organisations are literally the way they exist and function day to day.

And that in turn makes me very glad I don't work for these places.

7. kjparker

kjparker Member

In our case, it's more around legacy systems and related hardware, which to be fair, we are replacing / migrating away from... It just takes time, and money.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

These complexities pretty much are made up if this is the bullshit you're being fed by "technical" people.

I'm not going to say that any migration w/ user counts in the 1000's is easy, but its an extremely robust and understood process at this point.

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

moved the car club I'm am member of from a mish-mash of cheapest possible email/web hosting, to Google Workspaces (formerly GSuite).

minds blown. web site has had four-9's uptime since the swap (only testing every 5 minutes, so can't really claim five-9's), emails work, no more bouncing, former server appears to be on everyones blacklist. shared editing of docs. and for me personally. I've automated the fuck out of the memberships 'database' (a calc spreadsheet) now have automatic reminder emails, automatic bulk-email lists of current members. Calendar events automatically spammed to members, the website, and the facebook page (yay appscript).

all for about $20/pm.

automate or get out of the way.

fredhoon, Rass, elvis and 2 others like this.
  10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

anything under a bill revenue are 'agile' enough to migrate to 365. above that they are all old-school-cool

11. Gunna

Gunna Member

I havent touched Exchange in 7 years so i'm rusty as hell however we are migrating to ExOnline. Email admin thinks we will have to maintain an ExOnline server indefinately although no user mailboxes will reside on it eventually.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

YAWN... do you think its the year of Linux yet?

So I use Namecheap and they have a free WHOIS guard, and I just got an Indian cold call to my mobile for a domain I own, should I be worried? I have about 50 domains, should I expect endless cold calls?

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Did you ever have the same domain registered without the WHOIS protection? There are archives of historical WHOIS data out there.

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

maybe don't use the cheapest dodgiest registrar around.

namecheap, American by name, lots of eastern block European staff/support. have you're details been sold?

lots of reports of unhappy customers around the place being scammed into upsells.

15. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I'd hazard a guess that resistance to change would be split 50/50 between the business and IT and precisely zero due to technical reasons.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

NFI been using them for 10+ years and this is the first cold call about domain registration upsell "lets make a website for your" call from some India based call center.

PS - Q "we can make a website for your business and help with google adwords... yadda yadda" for domain name ***assmonkey***, yes assmonkey is in the name. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

User counts are irrelevant (apart from cost breakpoints).

I could put everyone in O365 tomorrow from a mailbox perspective.

the bigger piece of work is capturing everything that is in someway related to it, that has key business processes attached to it.

By no means is it impossible, but when you factor it in, the cost/benefit quickly swings.

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

This is a by-product of "hybrid". To my knowledge there isn't an official path to go from hybrid -> pure. There is (was? Its been a few years since i've looked at it) "means" to do it - just MS doesn't recommend them.

If i get some cycles, I'll go look to my usual haunts - a key factor in maintaining hybrid was managing aliases via AD (a by-product of having your schema extended to support Exchange attributes).

Most probably. If there are technical ones - they are probably debt ones that they are getting cockblocked from upgrading exchange anyway.

Hi Technical Debt. You're going to have to pay it eventually. Anyone who is "doing shit" with Exchange in the backend, and doesn't have a ExOnline equivalent - should exist anymore anyway.

Man, i this what it feels like to be fancy and fucks free like elvis?

CptVipeR likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Pretty normal where I come from. Just hang up on them and block them.

I wish phones would allow wildcard blocking. Whoever had my number before me owes money somewhere, and I get endless calls about it. I block each number but they just rotate through the block with the same prefix. If I could block on a wildcard, that would be so much easier.

No surprises though that it's somehow 30 years behind basic computer functionality, despite the fact that a modern mobile phone is a literal computer. It's clear they're still radically different devices in people's minds.

Yessir. It's the inevitable end point of everyone. Some of us just arrived here sooner than others.

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

Others call it ignorance :p

elvis likes this.