Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Look, technical debt is all in the mind. Likewise the criticality of workflow. If you've got half a clue you could set fire to everything physical and digital that defines your business, and start again from scratch tomorrow.

Businesses that grip on to this tightly, shivering in fear at change that might have to pry them for just a moment from everything they hold scared - these are the businesses you really don't want to be around. The sheer inflexibility, rigidity, and desperate need for status quo are, in and of themselves, the very poisons that will eat these places from the inside out, long before any competition or external force will. Their want to remain immutable in a world that is nothing but chaos and entropy will be their eventual, predictable downfall.

Disrupt some shit. Have some fun. "Nothing is set in stone, and even then stone can be broken".

fredhoon and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

:thumbup: you little chaos monkey you...

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

eh there is a balance.

I've seen 8 figure physical infrastructure (thing mining/wood processing) with ~10k of software, need ~100k to move from RS458 to ethernet, per scanner - of which there is a few dozen.

MRI's that don't support anything beyond win2000 or whatever. You aren't going to bin $x million when you can mitigate otherwise.

But people going "hurrr durrr i don't want to updoot because i need to upgrade clients that i can push via gpo" - fuck off.

4. wazza

wazza Member

Yep, I'm just waiting for the news to drop on who got hit and how bad it was. It's been exploited without patch for close to 2 months at this point, and it will be targeted attacks. I'm also expecting it won't be long until the exploit is quite readily available in a fee for service type setup.

If you're talking from a pure $$ or compliance standpoint you're 100% right, I'm up against the harder to resolve issues of fear and ignorance - it's not even a conversation that the GM is willing to have, it's a flat out no.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

These are exceptions, and I don't make rules for exceptions.

As you said above, very few places are really, truly, special snowflakes. And almost every place that got ransomewared in AU in the last 2 years wasn't a special snowflake either.

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

They make their own rules.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Invariably when I work with people and look at things like policy, the first thing they start fussing about is some 1% occurrence, 1% impact edge case, like that's a reason to throw the whole policy out.

That's why they invented an exceptions register. If that register starts becoming hundreds of items long, then we'll talk.

Gargamel likes this.
  8. NSanity

NSanity Member

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1367194190053076993
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/decommission-on-premises-exchange

Turns out that nothing's changed. Hybrid is still *required* for a supported solution to manage mail attributes from AD. You can customer toolset, powershell or adsiedit your way to victory, but MS is never going to endorse this product and/or service.

People even asked at the current Ignite gig, and were seemingly ignored.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The bulk of the technical debt, is accrued early in the implementation, and you're left paying interest on it.
    When systems get moved. NEW debt is accrued on the new systems, it doesn't dissapear.
    In 5 years from now, The technical debt on my on-prem setup wont have increased by anywhere near the amount it would, If we moved everything Cloud right now.

%100 of the phishing e-mails I see in the filter right now, come from people with exposed credentials to their 'cloud' accounts.

Sharepoint/Onedrive hosting phishing links
    Dropbox hosting phishing PDF's
    Gmail sending phishing spams.

The location, or nature of the system doesn't prevent idiots from idioting.
    Post#1 again.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

MFA. Same rule for everyone. No snowflake exceptions.

dicer and Gargamel like this.
  11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Hallo
    I am from your bank
    We are sending you a code to verify you are you
    Can you please read code back to me.

They Just keep building better idiots
    Jim Browning - YouTube

wazza likes this.
  12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

There's a joke here somewhere about idiots and on prem exchange but I'm tired and can't find the right wording so let's just assume it was a brilliant joke and we've all had a good laugh and just move on.

3Toed likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

I did mention elsewhere that if businesses go out of their way to (a) hire morons, and (b) constantly placate them in the work environment by folding immediately on every decision under the false premise of "it's what the business wants", then they get everything they deserve when the business gets pwned 11 ways from Sunday.

At some point, all of us here have the duty of care to push back on stupidity. And there's professional ways to do that - insisting minimum standards are maintained, pushing for constant user education and training, ensuring compliance and security is up to snuff, etc.

But this discussion itself spawned from various threads around technical debt and complexity, and that we shouldn't make rules for exceptions. The bottom 10% of the population who fall for scam calls asking for their MFA credentials over the phone are exactly this. And if you have these bottom 10% of the population in your business, take a step back and ask yourself how you got there, and of this is really what you want from your career.

If I worked for a business that suffered major issues because a bottom rung staff member (a) fell for a scam call, and (b) then had a domino effect of taking down some larger system as a result, I'd be having stern words with the CSO (or acting equivalent, whether they knew they were or not). And if that left me unsatisfied that something wasn't being done to ensure it never happens again, I'd be out the door.

Shitty work cultures come in all shapes and sizes, and this is one of them. And all it does is reinforce everything I've already said - there are almost zero special cases, and making rules for exceptions is pure stupidity. Shrugging it off and accepting stupidity isn't the answer either.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    bcann and Rass like this.
  14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Problem is once you get above a "large small business" then how do you avoid the bottom rung employees. Sure its easy to maintain standards when there's 20 or 100 employees. What if you have thousands and can't pay FAANG wages to everyone?

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

How do you avoid bottom rung humans in every day life? You listen to the words that come out of their mouth, then nope the fuck out of there.

Now rinse and repeat, but during the interview stage, followed by the probation stage, before it becomes legally challenging to scrape the muck off the bottom of your shoe.

randomman, cvidler and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  16. cvidler

cvidler Member

that was the whole reason I got into computers to begin with. sadly I was mistaken. idiots everywhere, far as the eye can see. I'm only thankful I've never had to suffer with a helldesk job.

randomman likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

If I had to do it all again, I'd become a dentist, and leave computers as my hobby.

GumbyNoTalent and randomman like this.
  18. randomman

randomman Member

The irony is that even if you avoid the idiots that help desk has to deal with you're stuck dealing with the idiots on the help desk.

19. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

You’d still have to deal with all the shit coming out of peoples mouth there too

bcann and power like this.
  20. power

power Member

I'd go anaesthetist, looks like a great job.

bcann and elvis like this.