Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

VPN that looks like it tops out at at 3MB/3MB - their own applications are bottlenecked by it.

2. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

privacy.gov.au :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

power, ir0nhide, randomman and 2 others like this.
  3. randomman

randomman Member

Like my Dad always said "Do as we say not as we do"

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Thank you I needed a lol

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

wow and it's still broken.

6. bcann

bcann Member

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

8. bcann

bcann Member

9. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

OMFG, privacy.gov.au is still broken :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:. We'd notified them on Monday as well :tired:

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  11. power

power Member

for posterity

upload_2021-4-14_10-16-45.png

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Obvious prediction was obvious.

https://blocksandfiles.com/2021/04/12/nvidia-bluefield-3-smartnic/
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/networking/products/data-processing-unit/

Yahuh.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2021/4/12/22380065/nvidia-grace-cpu-arm-data-center-ai-hpc

Rolling out the "elvis told you so" banner. Toot toot.

fredhoon, Rass and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

[​IMG]

wazza, millsy, 2SHY and 1 other person like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Haha, I do think it takes a little longer than 6 months for them to R&D this stuff. Me "predicting" the obvious 6 months before public release isn't anything special.

But I am constantly amazed at how many people think we'll be operating on x86 "forever", given RISC-V's explosion in the embedded space, ARM's dominance of mobile and pushing into laptop/desktop, and Nvidia's dominance of high end compute and acquisition of Mellanox. Pretty obvious where things are going in the next 5-10 years.

15. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

yep next 5-10 years its all wintel baby......

yes im serious

fight me :p

looktall likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

* Looks at recent $100K GPU Linux HPC upgrade invoice *

* Looks at thread *

* Looks at invoice again *

17. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

This could be fun. I think your both right but in different ways. Elvis is right as we are starting to see a genuine evolution and diversification of CPU's with a clear move towards the best for the purpose mentality combined with the movement of more every day software tasks into browser and out of locally installed applications. While itsmydamnation is also right as consumers need available software (including games) to run on the new platforms and hence will not want to move.

If you go back the only reason we are still on x86 is because AMD worked out how to do 32 & 64 bit processing on one chip. Prior to that the 64 bit chips were 64 bit only (see intel 64 bit chips) with no backwards compatibility. The market at the time was also heavily tied to locally installed software applications and there was no way companies that had invested millions in custom software were going to throw that away, hence x86 is still here and 32 bit applications are still getting made. With the reduction of locally installed application we have to ability to move away from this chip or that chip and into the best for the job chip.

Personally I can't wait to see more usage of dedicated parallel processing chips into systems and opening up of better smarts in the computer itself. Having the ability for example to say "run this task every time I log in" and have the computer configure itself to do that job and not have to run through the configuration manually would be great as the easier automation becomes the more people will automate.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

that wasn't "AMD worked out how to"

Intel made the deliberate decision to break away from x86 and clean slate Itanium IA64, because even Intel knows how broken x86 is. History shows however, users are lazy/dumb/high inertia so didn't/wouldn't move from wintel even when it's the worse option.

Intel made a big bet, it didn't pan out (like a lot of technically superior technologies over the decades the alternative that's more convenient wins), AMD went the safe/easy route, bolt on more and more onto x86, make it even more bloated and full of security holes. Everybody wins. oh wait.

If you made the effort (properly write application code for it, just just throw some x86 at it and hope for the best) to go IA64 properly it was far supreior at the time.

Rass likes this.
  19. cvidler

cvidler Member

Imagine if there was no ARM around when smart phones became a thing, and all smartphones were x86, and then 5/10 years later, ARM came along, we'd still be using x86 phones because market inertia.

for RISC-V or any other new architecture to take off, it needs to find its killer market, one that's not already dominated with decade of software written for something else, you can't win in that space.

20. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

Working off memory so forgot about that bit ;). But I do remember that IA64 was better that AMD64 it just did not get the software support to push it into the consumer market.