Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

"The current issue exists because of the decisions you made prior about needing justification to apply a vendor patch, in this case Microsoft, any malice caused by not patching will be because of your management decisions, best cover your asses now!" would be my reply. ;)

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

randomman likes this.
  3. NSanity

NSanity Member

millsy, bcann and randomman like this.
  4. Gunna

Gunna Member

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Spot on, I had to get out of delivery because it became awfully tempting to go full rant.

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Bitbucket to the rescue?

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Github is not Git, Gitlab is a viable option or self host and front end it with gitea.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

the option I've been using for a couple years now.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  9. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

If your GitHub isn’t in us-east-1, you don’t have GitHub, you’ve just got sparkling version control.

miicah likes this.
  10. Unframed

Unframed Member

Todays rant brought to you by logging showing errors in the wrong place.
    Had an issue that thanks to logging appeared to be network related (and it sort of was) but what was missing what the reason the network tunnel kept getting dropped. It wasn't in the networking logs, nope. It was only in a random log that is meant to show basic "success/failure" events for network tests. Turns out the end user insisting on their clients being [businessname]-[location]_[role][number] was exceeding 63 chars on the SSL cert throwing a hissy fit.

Granted I should have noticed the long name would be a problem but it's annoying how I found it.

11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://google.github.io/security-research/pocs/linux/cve-2021-22555/writeup.html
    CVE-2021-22555 is a 15 years old heap out-of-bounds write vulnerability in Linux Netfilter that is powerful enough to bypass all modern security mitigations and achieve kernel code execution. It was used to break the kubernetes pod isolation of the kCTF cluster and won 10000$ for charity (where Google will match and double the donation to 20000$).

Well Andy I for one would hate to play you at any strategy based game you sideways thinking bastard, PWNED Kubernetes / Linux with 15 year old bug.

2021-04-06 - Vulnerability reported to security@kernel.org.
    2021-04-13 - Patch merged upstream.
    2021-07-07 - Public disclosure.

Unframed likes this.
  12. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Anyone else going through a hiring nightmare right now?

We've had a bit of a "cleansing" in the IT department.. two people left, and we took the opportunity to let someone go that wasn't cutting it. I've backfilled with contractors, but trying to hire people.. holy shit it's a nightmare. I'm currently advertising for a level 3 role, a desktop support role and two helpdesk roles. Everyone that's applied seems to fall into two categories :
    1. I've done a course overseas and I've put it on my resume as "I have experience with this product" but I don't currently use it, and by the way I don't have current residency in the country
    2. I'm here and can do the job but I'm expecting at least 20-30k more than market value because I know you can't find people right now
    We've gone through Seek and haven't found any good candidates. One of the agencies provides some people who were so far off the mark that I'm seriously questioning the value of their services right now. The one guy I did hire for the desktop admin role (and who we were paying market rate for) got poached 3 weeks in by a headhunter offering him 30k more.

Just...Ugh.

evilhomey likes this.
  13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

If it can't be bought at that value, it isn't market value. The last paragraph in your post nails that point too, time to increase your hiring budget!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    wazza, NSanity and Luke212 like this.
  14. Unframed

Unframed Member

Are you sure it's market value if potential employees are asking more and others getting poached by people offering more?

30k is a big jump from an offer.

15. Luke212

Luke212 Member

for programmers 120k is bottom barrel these days. 120-150k minimum or wasting time on them. its like the bloody housing market. if you are not making this much you need to change employers. raises will never compete with new employer offers in this market.

they said programming was becoming a commodity. well doesnt feel that way.

16. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I know! I'm only going off one of the agencies 2021 salary guides when I say we were paying them market rate, but from the conversations I've had with a few agencies about the situation right now, the lack of overseas workforce has raised the demand for IT workers, and as a result salaries for some of the more in demand roles (like service desk staff) has gone through the roof.

Unframed likes this.
  17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Unemployment is sub 5%. (I think 4.2%?)

Incoming Wage Growth. #whoknew. Just catching up for the last 20 years.

Want to blame someone? Try the Federal Governments lack of a cohesive and executable Vaccination strategy. Ready to ride the wave of crazy new hire salaries, followed by post-vaccination/fortressAustralia Redundancy-a-thon whilst we shed dead weight.

Singapore has already sorted this shit out - we have no excuse.

2SHY likes this.
  18. tensop

tensop Member

lol this is australia, the dead weight will just be shifted up in to sales roles :)

Unframed likes this.
  19. NSanity

NSanity Member

Its ok, they only service shitty commercial customers anyway :D

Anyone good gets lifted to Enterprise :)

Hive and tensop like this.
  20. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah labour market is a pain, salaries shift based on demand and supply like anything else.
    My last role we were trying to hire and the business wouldn't pay enough to meet the market, so we just stalled out on staffing and shit got worse, then I left. Later on they upped salaries like 30-40%, and were still under market rate! :lol: