Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Correct, also need to make sure the roles you are putting out have flexibility on WFH etc. It's going to be like this for 2-3 years, if you don't have a well funded and flexible talent program then you aren't going to get people.

mesaoz likes this.
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

They changed the definition of "full employment" in the past 12 months so that the figures look good even though under employment is rampant these are still counted as "employed".

This shouldn't reflect on the IT market, however the number of overseas hires available due to restrictive COVID-19 entry means the local market supply is lower than usual which leads to higher costs. Remote work is becoming common and more companies especially programmer roles are being offered, I have noticed an increase in US based companies advertising remote work in Australia.

Supply and demand.

3. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

WFH isn't a problem for us - the only caveat we have some our service desk is that we have to have someone here each day (to support onsite execs and be able to ship equipment as required), but we only need one of the three people on the service desk here so we roster it. It probably doesn't help that our HR department has tried moving to a more centrally managed hiring process (i.e. advertising on Seek first, writing the job ads for us, screening etc) as its making the whole thing a much more convoluted process.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

You mean forever right?

Cos this shit is permanent.

Office's cost a *fuckload* of money. No office = cost saving, and now we've correlated that an Office actually inhibits productivity (as pretty much every org that can WFH, has increased productivity) - we never going back.

RIP Commercial Office Real Estate

Hive likes this.
  5. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Yeah the timeframe was around the skills shortage, agree that offering WFH flexibility is going to be critical for talent programs forever.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This makes me so giddy.

I also can't wait for the great commercial parking collapse post autonomous vehicles.

Ye olde / outdated markets collapsing is my favourite source of entertainment.

bcann likes this.
  7. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

you're dreaming.

8. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Yeah the move to cities and urbanisation has been the defining demographic factor for 300 years, and it is suddenly being threatened - very interesting times and something that is going to shape IT careers and work for the rest of our careers.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Good friend of mine at Sydney based $LargeMediaCo just got dragged into an all-staff meeting on how they're going to handle mandatory WFH when they've relied on low paid graduate labour doing hands-on rote tasks for decades and have zero automation. Huzzah for technical debt! :lol:

Sure, and they said the same about >50% staff working from home, and yet here's my dream coming true.

And all it took was one teeny little virus. :lol:

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

are y'all so keen for WFH/remote if your employer tries to do a Google, and reduce your pay because you no longer have to work in a big city?

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Every Major Company does this.

Daemon posted years back the formula some Unicorn uses to work it out.

12. caspian

caspian Member

bring it on. I could treechange right now if I didn't have to commute to the office. sell house, clear remaining mortgage, buy a huge place on acreage an hour away with all trimmings, and still have about $300K cash left over.

wazza likes this.
  13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You're to late.
    All the other City Folk have already done it, and prices for acreages an hour away with all the trimmings are 1 Billion Dollars already. and still rising.

miicah and EvilGenius like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yes.

15. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

and they're in the process of changing all the local by laws so that you can't build the same sort of property they were able to build because now there's too many and yours will make the price of theirs fall.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

"Acreage 1 hour away" doesn't even get me outside of Brisbane.

17. caspian

caspian Member

depends on how close you live to the centre of it. I've already priced my options.

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Drive faster!

Unframed, bcann and looktall like this.
  19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Like sea levels!

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I'm in one of the less desirable suburbs of town, hell not even 'in town', it's its own town outside the city limits, and the value of my house has gone up over 100k in the last 12mths because of all the city dwellers moving to the sticks. It's a strange situation to be in, knowing I could sell my house within the time it took to get the paperwork sorted and clear a hundred k profit without trying, but also knowing I then couldn't afford another house afterwards.