Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

Ehh

This is half true. Patching infra isn't your problem, but patching Apps/Guests are - unless you're SaaS, and simply not everything is SaaS. I'd also say that the Cloud at "enterprise" scale is 3-5x the price of doing it yourself all things considered, but it does actually require great leadership to execute comparitively. Then again you require great leadership to do the cloud effectively with the rate of change that it has.

Also certain business models (e.g resource-price driven industries) *really* don't gel well w/ huge Opex costs that can't scale down easily.

Fuck it - old man IT card. "it depends".

What i can't deal with is just meaningless sales drones straight up playing Gartner cards at people on things that don't make sense - like heavy steadystate workloads for big orgs. And/or the sheer fucken lunacy of certain concepts in the cloud that deliberately kill the number one advantage a cloud gives (fuck you very much Azure Data Centers WAN/ingress/egress concepts) an enterprise which is DC's where you don't have the gravity of users to justify your own kit.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

3-5x the price - do you have any public sources you can point to?
    Is this only when you do cloud the dumb (lift and shift, IaaS and disk ahoy) way? Or even when you do it the 'smart way'?

Your point about requiring leadership is spot on. Cloud is a way to outsource the responsibility, like.... outsourcing. No longer do you need infra engineers who know what they're doing and an architecture that makes sense, just yolo I mean cloud it. But just like outsourcing, if you and your team have the smarts then you can definitely hit better peak performance, but what are the odds of that eh, or even maintaining that if you lose a few of the smart guys (esp for enterprises that aren't THAT big).

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Yeah agreed, a huge part of securing systems (ignoring the weaknesses made of organic material) are the applications. They are, for the most part, the most poorly managed from both a vendor and customer - and often the most difficult to manage.

:thumbup:

I'm always wary of anyone speaking in absolutes. Sometimes they're lucky enough to not working in environments with heavy technical debt, other times they're just bullshitting or don't know what they're talking about.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

While I don't disagree, I keep seeing Maersk quality shit "at enterprise scale" and start wondering if people include their "billions lost per day for a month" as a part of their "enterprise quality" patching/security plan.

And at any rate, I did qualify my statements for smaller players. The older I get, the less enormous enterprise interests me, because the whole thing runs about as fast as a cold turd uphill.

evilhomey likes this.
  5. NSanity

NSanity Member

Stuff beneath enterprise lacks the complexity to actually exercise my brain matter.

Woo different people, different things.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Rising Sun are hiring in Brisbane. I bet my bottom dollar that'll tax your noodle and be well below what you're used to "at enterprise scale".

Lots of complex problems still left inside orgs with tiny headcounts.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  7. NSanity

NSanity Member

1. I have golden handcuffs.
    2. Financial constraints because you literally don't value IT is not exactly a fun one. I have that in Enterprise but they solve 1 :p

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Exactly how slow is a cold turd uphill? 12 Parsecs?

PS - Went from Enterprise large scale to IoT very restrained compute and more interesting and complex problems to solve, sometimes even ethical!

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Look, I lasted 400% longer in that job than literally any other gig I've ever had. There are genuine technician challenges there that are (a) fun and (b) you will find in no other industry (I've looked).

Yes, it is insane. But when they need to spend money, they'll spend money. Just not on Windows and Office licences, which means you need to work smarter, not harder.

But, as you say, golden handcuffs. I understand that. That was me at $bigfinance for a fair whack of time, until the handcuffs broke.

10. chip

chip Member

Maersk's YOY revenues went up nearly a billion dollars and the CEO kept his job, despite notpetya costing them 300 million.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

While true, my clients are not at Maersk's "too big to fail" size just yet, so it still matters to them.

Thankfully they're taking far more proactive measures than Maesrk either did then, or do now.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Thought you contracting public sector? Public sector projects never fail they just go over budget while reducing the scope till there is a intersection between the 2 projections.

bcann likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

I am also doing this.

I am also doing many things.

I am also working 7 days a week.

14. wazza

wazza Member

Completely agree that ransomware is the biggest risk today, but I don't think cloud makes it zero concern. While it's highly unlikely that someone is going to get in and ransomware all of O365 or Gsuite etc it doesn't stop them targeting individual companies/users, and I'm not sure on google but MS make it fairly clear that companies need to ensure they have their own backups and not rely 100% on the built in tools to recover data. IMO backing up cloud stuff is just as important as backing up on-prem, but I also think that cloud gives people a false sense of security that because someone else is looking after the cloudy stuff, they're also looking after the backups.
    Looking at a what if scenario of a users one drive being encrypted and how to recover that as an example - MS say you can go back and restore a users one drive to a point in time, but only if you have versioning enabled...It wasn't enabled by default, but at some point they have now enabled it for all new documents. They then say that if you've deleted and reuploaded a document or folder it won't be restored, so does that include a document that was deleted and an encrypted version was uploaded in it's place? It also only goes back so far (and this isn't clear - one MS page says 30 days, another says 93, another says 500 previous versions and yet another says you can set this and shows a setting of 1000...), so a smart attacker could start encypting the older files first in the hopes that they won't be found until the older files have been removed, or programatically change the (now encrypted) file in minute ways 501/1001 times so all files in the history are encrypted. Lastly there's a relatively unhelpful "If files or folders can't be restored" bit, which no doubt when you contact support about they'll simply point you to the agreement that says "Back up your own files."
    Of course there is also the risk that its the typical double edged ransomware sword that's common these days - they don't just care about blackmailing you to decrypt your files, they also care about exfiltration of files and potentially releasing them if you don't pay...and cloud may make this harder to detect until it's too late.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    bcann likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

I certainly agree with all of your points ("Jesus saves, everyone else does incremental backups"), but this is also why I push users towards web versions of tools rather than fat/legacy tools (particularly so in Google Workspace which has versioning on by default for that).

And yeah, I'm waiting for the flurry of "buT I dO ReAL DocUMENt EdiTING" posts that inevitably follow this, but as I tell my juniors, I don't make rules for exceptions. I make exceptions for rules. When 99% of your org is doing documents that are not full length novels, or spreadsheets that aren't 400 sheets deep, then use the fucking web tools and stop syncing fat files to drive like it's 1999.

I mentioned it the other day based on the amusing tweet where it first appeared, and I'll repeat it until the end of time. Ransomware gangs ought to be renamed to "technical debt collectors". If people don't want to move on to new ways of doing things, then they're welcome to old ways of getting pwned that come with the old ways of doing work. My patience for places that don't want to evolve and then cry bloody murder when they get hit has reached zero.

16. miicah

miicah Member

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

This is a killer for me. We have a channel for assisting our new office's staff based on teams and if they @ any team I get notified. God its annoying to tidy up every morning/afternoon.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Instant messenger is for shitposting and memes. Ticketing system is for help.

People who @ whole teams area warned privately first, shamed publicly second.

People need to learn how to work in a group. These are basic workplace skills. Hell, these are basic primary school skills.

Fitzi and Fred Nurk like this.
  19. Unframed

Unframed Member

This is more because our new India based office needs help with understanding our software/hardware concepts. If we had them create tickets for the tickets they already had it'd be a mess. It's more about offering advice.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

I think I've found a clue as to the root cause of your problem.

Might I suggest an alternative to overseas labour?

kjparker likes this.