Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If you didn't want me to @everyone, you would have disabled my ability to @everyone

NSanity likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you didn't want me to murder everyone you would have disabled my ability to murder everyone.

Don't use nor endorse. Do your due diligence before selecting.

The company is run by two ex high ranking Microsoft dudes who got the shits with how much of "computing" comes down to idiots mangling emails and spreadsheets. If you ask me, it was their mea culpa for helping create a world that enabled such pointless digital paper shuffling.

There are already many alternatives (including Microsoft's own Power Automate), and it's an industry that's going to explode in the coming years.

The big losers here will be low skill local labour, as well as low skill outsource/foreign labour. If any of the tasks on UIPath's website look like things that regularly occur as part of your working day, it's upskill time.

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Always, but some opinions can shorten the options list. ;)

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

My opinion is that any automation is better than idiot staff.

This thread should be testament to that. Even more so in the current day where everything is phishing and malware and vendor shitware coupled with idiot users being a literal target on your company's back.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Pretty sure we share the same view, that product you linked is more workflow automation a topic that has been accelerated with the current pandemic and WFH polices.

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

I would love to.

I honestly think it was my company cheaping out as we already had 3 teams managing our 24/7 support as well as Chinese and Japanese teams for those regions. The excuse was high workloads coming from India which was true but just hire more people in Aus and EMEA and call it good.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

That product has been out a while. Longer than COVID. The timing of WFH was pure coincidence, although I'm sure it didn't hurt their bottom line. But they've been around for quite some time.

9. miicah

miicah Member

Well no, head of departments are fine to @ the entire team, because that's what the team is for, you know, your team?

Issue being that I am also part of that team (as an owner) so unless I globally turn off all notifications, I get pinged too.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

COVID is the catalyst for some organizations to re-evaluate their workflow, was coincidence that a conversation was had between myself and some peoples about workflow / document shuffling automation software available and plausibility to "improve" efficiencies they now perceive as inefficient as accountability is now not a head count but a work throughput... read between lines == can we reduce headcount with workflow automation / improvements. YES!

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

If the team teams account is for people messaging the entire team, do you need to @ the entire team in the teams team that is made for the whole team?

Wouldn't just the existence of a message in there dictate that the entire team should read it?

looktall likes this.
  12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

It's the teams equivalent of sending someone an email and then calling them to tell them you just sent them an email.

elvis likes this.
  13. Unframed

Unframed Member

Outsourcing woes part 434249842: Customer has critical server throwing regular BSODs, wants to restore to an earlier point in time. Their outsourced IT have spent 30+ hours with 40 engineers restoring partially completed backups which obviously don't work for a full system restore. They finally contact us for help, we tell them how to fix their problem, they manage to waste another 5+ hours ignoring that advice and now I've been stuck with them for hours holding their hands because they can't be trusted as button jockeys.

14. BAK

BAK Member

I use it at work. It's reasonable, but not as precise and elegant as proper coding is. Robotic Process Automation (automating userspace activities) is very fast to implement because you're really just replicating what a user does,, and in my view that's absolutely its main drawcard. Want to automate a process? Spend 6 months with a dev team on the system, or 6 weeks (less, probably) on a userspace automation. It's pretty visual (GUI driven, VBA or C# based but "low code") and that's one of its issues, trying to narrow down the selector to be "I want this part of the page, not that part of the page" can be a bit fiddly.

UIPath is #1 in the industry. Automation Anywhere is probably second, BluePrism is an also ran, based on our research. There is absolutely a lot of marketing/sales pitch bullshit because this product is aimed at business people rather than technical people.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  15. caspian

caspian Member

[​IMG]

I have people at work who ping me on teams to tell me they just sent me an e-mail to tell me that they just raised a ticket against my group.

they apparently think this gets their issue looked at more quickly. they are not correct.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Computers were a mistake.

2SHY, BurningFeetMan, colmaz and 3 others like this.
  17. cvidler

cvidler Member

computers are fine, they do exactly what you tell them to. if you tell them to be stupid they'll be stupid.

bcann, looktall and Unframed like this.
  18. Unframed

Unframed Member

People were a mistake

3Toed and looktall like this.
  19. Tinian

Tinian Member

Sure. On the flip side when people come to me escalating issues and their answer to my question "have you contacted them?" is "yes, I sent an email" not "I sent three emails, pinged them twice, rang desk number twice, mobile three times and left messages" then I start to calculate the cost benefit ratio of their engagement.

20. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Have you tried murdering everyone?

bcann and GumbyNoTalent like this.