1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

I think the point was that as an IT professional you should know that both devices have a calculator or you can at least through the equation\sum into google for a result

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

More and more, things like calculators aren't being used soley for the result, but for the process. Most accountants will still have an olde-fashioned calculator on their desk.

There's something to be said about bashing the numbers into a calculator, that typing an equation into google doesn't quiet match, plus, for many its quicker to do a quick calculation on a calculator, and go back to your workflow, than it is to break workflow, open google and calc, or to unlock your phone, open the calculator, and do it.

I take a physical notepad into meetings, despite having a myriad of tools around me that can probably do a better job of recording the meeting. There is something about putting pen to paper that makes a difference in how I recall things, and how they are set in my brain.

That said, If I'm sitting in front of someone's computer, and need a calulator, its start -> run -> calc all the time.

3. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

They are "IT Professionals" not "Software Installer Professionals".

You just click next, next, next, OK. Finished.

Well at least that's how I've seen some do it. What do you mean there is a custom install option with multiple choice answers <brain splat>

Today's rant: A twat team leader who handed a new staff member a usb stick with software suite installer and accompanying license circumvention program to install on their laptop.

The latter gets flagged in our endpoint monitoring tool and we pursue it with said team leader, they advise they are trialing the software... :tired:

I don't know if its arrogance or ignorance thinking that is it is OK and IT wouldn't notice.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. Gunna

Gunna Member

Agree on all points and the context of the situation needs to be taken into account however based on the post I would assume they just needed to do some quick calcuations.

5. Unframed

Unframed Member

If you can't handle a basic installer with a user guide then you should probably give up the game and go do something less involved.

6. bcann

bcann Member

is it just me, or has anyone noticed over the last decade or so, with all the communication tools that we have (Email/IM/etc) businesses are communicating to their internal staff less and less, thereby reducing efficiency because staff are having to chase up info that should be readily available, but isn't?

7. tobes

tobes Member

Plus 10 million. I struggle with getting adequate information on a daily basis.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Definitely noticing a trend of people who are scared to put things in writing. I'm more interested to know why.

I certainly see a trend where the least competent are also the least likely to communicate in a written format. I don't know if this is a lack of skill, or whether they're afraid of having their incompetence recorded for all to see.

Needless to say these are the sorts of people who run around "busy" all day doing not much other than trying to catch up with people in person, rather than efficiently dealing with digital communication.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Bwahahahahahahahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

10. Gunna

Gunna Member

I think it comes down to accountability. If X goes to shit and you dont have it in writing that they approved or suggested X then less chance they will be held accountable

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

'ol antipody is our resident "I want a get rich quick scheme that isn't a get rich quick scheme".

Next he'll find a pyramid scheme that isn't, it's based off of the trapezoid.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

There's an old saying:

"Do not attribute to malice that which can be attributed to ignorance".

I'd really like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and assume they're stupid rather than evil. But sometimes it really does feel like people are dodging their responsibilities on purpose.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ha, people like that always give me a laugh. They're convinced they're just moments away from a big breakthrough that will make them rich with no effort that nobody else has discovered.

Sadly, I had a business partner like that many, many years ago. Most ruthless bastard who literally sold out his own mother for a few extra bucks. I couldn't believe it. Sadly he had me fooled for a few years, but eventually I had to bail and leave my share of the company with him.

It turns out he didn't last long after that, and blew all the money. No surprises. Now he markets himself as some sort of motivational business consultant, which is bloody hilarious in its own right (or at least it would be, if I didn't know that he was screwing over hundreds of people still).

Ah well, at least it happened when I was young and poor. I learned a valuable lesson then, and it's served me well ever since.

14. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

'putting things in writing' reminded me of my recent dealings with Malwarebytes.

We use it occasionally for a PC that has something 'weird' going on, especially if our web filter reports the PC going to botnet sites.

After I read the T&Cs, you can't do this in an enterprise environment. That's fine, happy to buy a license.

I trawled Malwarebytes's website for a while with very little information around the license I'd need and a cost, but I was pretty sure I just wanted a single Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Remediation Tool as it would be installed then uninstalled - it's portable and agentless.

Contacted a local license reseller who came back saying the minimum was 100 licenses at almost $20 a pop, per year. Rather rich for an occasional use bit of software, as it'd be cheaper for us to reimage a PC.

So, I contacted Malwarebytes direct via their website with the sales enquiry. They got back to me within a day or two asking for more details, which I provided. Two weeks later, no response.

I reached out to them on Twitter just asking how long it normally takes to get a response. Sorted it out with them and the sales person gave me a call.

Found out that they don't even do a 100 minimum license, normally it's 250 - so if a reseller gave me that quote, I should snap it up - a bit weird in itself. As we have 400 computers I didn't want to pay $8k so asked if there was anything they could do.

They ended up telling the reseller I got the original quote from to give me a cheaper price - 25% roughly off, and also said I didn't need to go above the minimum 100 based on what I wanted to do. Huge difference, but still a bit rich.

I asked for them to say in writing that if we bought the 100 licenses, it would cover the 400 PCs we have. They said they could do that, and a few months later I still haven't received the email.

They're doing a great job of making it hard for me to buy their product, when I'm trying to do the right thing.

15. bcann

bcann Member

Generally speaking over my career I've come to expect a lack of written communication from management level folk as a way to cover there asses should it all go pear shaped, that I expect, but over the last decade it seems to be moving down the ranks into even the lower level folk.

What also seems to be showing over the last decade is the level of IT skills the younger generation has, particularly gens Y/Z. I'm often astounded by the level of IT skills they simply don't have. Even basic things like plugging in a USB keyboard, trying to type email addresses into address bars on web pages when I've specifically told them the web address to type in and they add an @ sign. its getting worse in the trenches I swear.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

What annoys me even more is the constant bitching that it's too hard to get an IT job because nobody will train them.

In an era where you can spin up VMs trivially, where tonnes of enterprise-quality software is available for free download, and where documentation and howto guides are more plentiful than ever, if you're not self-learning, you're a fucking idiot.

I got my first job in a shit-kicker IT role because of my home network. I went dumpster diving at the local university for hardware, and built myself a Linux firewall. It connected via *dialup* ppp to my ISP, and served my who house for Squid-cache, DNS, DHCP, network storage (NFS and Samba working together) and a bunch of other stuff. Everything was learned from man pages, and the Linux install I got was an ISO image I got off some magazine (because 600MB downloads were impossible at that time).

That impressed the hell out of the guy who interviewed me for my first job, and landed me the job ahead of other candidates with more experience on paper.

Today, I laugh at that story. What was weeks and weeks of work finding hardware and learning would now take me minutes to replicate on a VM with my fast broadband. And yet I get a stream of young kids telling me it's all too hard for them today because nobody offers them training, and it's all just not fair.

17. malbert

malbert Member

Yeh damn that $generation, based on my $anecdote, they're all $faulty_generalisation.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

this, so much this.

uni grads are fucking useless.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

IAWTC:thumbup:

20. Luke212

Luke212 Member

uni grad (noun): People with no experience who think they have 3/4 years experience.