Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

Rant.

Logmein again is a bunch of ****s. Second year in a row.

Quintupling (in our case) our Annual Fee.

See you later fuckers.

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We got clobbered today by an email virus. Thankfully didn't do anything but harvest contact lists and email itself out again, but what a pita to clean up. Email with the subject 'Account report' with the attachment account_report2002.zip and text 'I have sent you the account report. Please download and view the attachment.'.

Anyone who opened it started sending emails from them, to their entire contact list. Went through mcafe like it wasn't even there. Mbam, super and webroot all cleaned it up. Tick tock mcafe, tick tock...

3. Dutch Wink

Dutch Wink Member

[​IMG]

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

1990 Called, they want their infection vector back.

5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Think the reason this one snuck through so easily is it had already infected outside parties and the emails sent out go to your contacts, so those receiving the emails are receiving them from known contacts. Often they're actually waiting on information from those contacts too, which adds to the 'on the surface' credibility of the email.

This is it anyway:

https://malwr.com/analysis/MjRlNGZlMTdiMjQyNDdiYzhhYWQwNjkyN2NkNmFjY2I/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...34ea7d762c23c01de488139bbbbaf0a64c8/analysis/

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I was more meaning the trawling contacts and sending out...

Outlook hasn't let other applications send mail using it for a while, and workstations shouldn't be able to connect directly to an SMTP server running on some exploited box on the internet, so even if the virus tried to send e-mail, it wouldn't be able to.

7. heydonms

heydonms Member

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but we had a big bunch of malware sent through a few weeks ago with this in the headers:

We received a dozen or so of these from several different companies, all of which we have dealt with in the past and most of them were submitted over MAPI.

I don't know if they have configured Outlook to allow programmatic access or something but it certainly looks like the malware is interacting with Outlook or maybe even Exchange directly.

8. millsy

millsy Member

Open relay? Just a thought

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Word file. (Not OLE).

That's nice, but everyone has that now. That was advanced tech in 1990, but the world has moved on since then. Seriously, the amount of "magic" drag and drop shit Google Apps can do IN A FUCKING WEB BROWSER blows the minds of most people.

QUOTE=NSanity;16559340]I have no idea if libreoffice/staroffice/openoffice/whateverthefuckoffice manages to do this yet, but probably not gracefully 100% of the time.[/quote]
    Trivially. For 10 years now. Old news.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I can't give any technical details of our setup, but it is a newly built exchange 2010/o365 environment.

11. millsy

millsy Member

You are a very big supporter of gdocs elvis :)

When it can gracefully import complex excel files I feel it'll gain more traction. Way too many arcane excel sheets out there for it to handle still.

Should they be excel sheets? Nope. Are they still important to the *business*? Yep.

*edit*

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/02/18/microsoft-google-swap/
    Anyone read this? I found it quite reasonable, though I disagree with some points (referring to the MS band as anything other than disappointing is silly). Though being an opinion piece you get that ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  12. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

I just tested this - I couldn't drag and drop several simple cells from a sheet to a document.

I could copy and paste, but it pastes it as a plain text table, no formulas etc.

Am I missing something here? I couldn't see a paste special option. If this is all it can do, my mind is rather unblown. I don't normally use this so if there's an option I'm missing, I'm happy to learn :)

Credit to what it CAN do in a browser, just like what MS have done with their browser based office apps is still impressive.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

What browser are you using? I'm on chrome-testing, and I'll give it a go a bit later on.

14. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Yep Chrome here, tested from my Google Apps account. Again I don't normally use it...

15. Alationever

Alationever Member

We got hit by this one too. Option to block malicious zips was turned off on our spam filter. It sent out emails with the line "fax" in them after the first ones. We (not me) ended up deciding to quarantine zips completely and go through them by hand, Mitch01-style.

16. cyclobs

cyclobs Member

I noticed a shit load of those emails marked as spam by our mail security

17. Diode

Diode Member

Issue...

Problem with Lync Edge Server. Users can't connect externally, causing business impact...

Person responsible for addressing Lync issue did not bother to follow the problem through and on Friday night people are asking why it's not fixed.

I'm on on call this weekend and so now it's expected that on call guy to take up the slack and fix a problem that should have been addressed 7 days ago.

Person who was responsible gets to have a leisurely weekend.

Happy 30th Birthday to me. (Birthday was Monday, but being drilled at work and the fact it was a Monday means it's been a rather crap week).

18. heydonms

heydonms Member

I don't think you can have an open relay over MAPI, all MAPI sessions are authenticated.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

They don't see it that way because they can't think more than 12 months ahead. Their blinkers-on approach and short-term-thinking is downright dangerous.

Businesses everywhere are still pissing and moaning about how hard it is to migrate away from Windows XP, FFS.

People need to separate the concept of their created content and data from the program that created it. I'd be pretty terrified if the sorts of things I needed to do day to day could only be serviced by a single product from a single vendor. That's not what I call either independent nor safe.

Indeed, if my top 10 favourite vendors all vanished overnight, I could still do my job pretty easily. That's career/job/business security for me - knowing that I can get on with things without having to worry about the fate of my vendors. And that goes well beyond IT. I'd hope to be the same no matter what my industry. (See previous rants in this thread about PLC and embedded systems customers being completely beholden to a single vendor, and how utterly fucking stupid that level of risk is).

And seriously: who the fuck uses Excel as a document storage system? I've seen some really, REALLY dumb use cases for Excel, but that takes the cake.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Nsanity was originally talking about Open/LibreOffice, which I just tested (LibreOffice 4.3) and works as expected. Drag and drop, brings formulas across, allows modification of existing data and updates the results based on the formula.

Google Docs - no. As you mentioned above, brings a static copy across with formatting, but no formulas or updates.

So LibreOffice works fine there. Won't stop people telling me they "need" MS Office of course. In fact, nothing ever will. But not really my problem, as we're charging Office licensing on a singular basis back to individual departments now. They get given the choice of OEM or retail, and a full explanation of the differences between them. The particular accounts person who started this whole thread of discussion bitched and complained loudly at the cost of MS Office when we told him, which made me laugh. Again, it's OK to throw a tantrum and demand that it's needed (because we really need to store all those Word Docs inside Excel Spreadsheets, after all). But it's not OK to then pay full price for a product that's "needed"? Typical. :rolleyes:

And then proceeded to yell at IT some more because the previous OEM copy he bought for his home PC (on company credit card) couldn't be moved to his new work laptop. As if it's IT's problem that he bought software without asking us, and then didn't understand the licensing conditions of the vendor he loves so dearly.

We pay thousands of dollars in licensing for our creative tools, but at least they do sensible things like give us network floating license servers. Even at ten times the price, I'd rather deal with those vendors because they don't make my life a living hell.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015